Rusting J-Frame

Guest nicemac

Guest nicemac

I have a couple of S&W 442s. They are identical except for the serial numbers. I carry mine in several holsters including a Galco Waistpack while dirt biking, a DeSantis Superfly in dress pants and one of Greg's IWB holsters with jeans. Been carrying it for three years with no issues. My wife is carrying hers in a belly band.

The problem: The thumb piece on hers will rust after just a day or two of carrying. I cleaned it meticulously on Monday. The rust was gone. I saturated it in Break-Free. Yesterday afternoon, the thumb piece was rusting again.

I called S&W this morning. The guy said: "I have seen this before. The response is embarrassing. It only happens with women. Something chemical. I can send you a stainless steel thumb piece, but it will not match the black anodizing on your gun. It is brushed stainless."

Have any of you guys (or girls) anyone every heard this before?

Edited by nicemac
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people have very acidic skin oils or sweat. A machinist I work with is that way... he has to wear gloves all the time because his fingerprints will rust a bare metal surface in 24 hrs. The acid can soak into the pores in the metal so a surface cleaning won't necessarily remove them, hence it'll continue to rust. You could try to bake the part for a while. The very nature of a belly band holster makes it the wearer prone to sweat more as well. You might try some sort of vapor barrier (Goretex?) between her and the gun.

I guess it's possible, with the right mix of chemical/elements. I find it hard to believe (only women part) though. I'm a guy (last I checked) and the sweat from right hip has eat up the finish on two handguns and turned several Galco holsters a nasty crusty black, that looks almost burnt. In the summer I have to clean rust out of the snaps on my holster. It used to be a pain until I just accepted it as a part of life.

I dunno what to tell you about the wife. I'd say replace the part with the offered Stainless part if it were me. Put the other in a ziplock baggie for posterity.

Well, those 'Secret' anti-perspirant commercials always claim that their product is '...pH balanced for a woman'. I always figured that was just marketing but maybe there is something to it, after all.

I can send you a stainless steel thumb piece, but it will not match the black anodizing on your gun. It is brushed stainless."

You could have the SS thumb piece powder coated or Duracoated to match the rest of the gun.

Guest nicemac
You could have the SS thumb piece powder coated or Duracoated to match the rest of the gun.

Where can I get that done?

She will not stop carrying with the belly band. It is her favorite way to carry.

You can get Duracoat and Gun-Kote supplies from somewhere like Brownells if you want to do it yourself. Each method has advantages/disadvantages. From what I remember their site has the info. They also sell the kits that use an aerosol can as a propellant if you don't have a compressor.

You should also be able to find a local shop if you don't want to fool with it since it's such a small piece.

Guest nicemac
Then she needs to clean her gun more if she insists on carrying it that way....

…or get a stainless thumb piece.

CLean it, dry it, make sure there is no oil left on it. and (with the part removed from the gun) spray it with clear "clearcoat" paint. OR clean it, dry it, make wure there is no oil on it and paint it with clear finger nail poilsh. It will come off over time but it's cheap to fix.

Guest 10mm4me

Tell your wife it's because she is so sweet. I am like this too. If I touch a blued gun, it will rust before the day is over. I have friends who handle them all day and throw them in the safe covered in prints and pull 'em out 3 or 4 months later w/no rust.

Guest nicemac
CLean it, dry it, make sure there is no oil left on it. and (with the part removed from the gun) spray it with clear "clearcoat" paint. OR clean it, dry it, make wure there is no oil on it and paint it with clear finger nail poilsh. It will come off over time but it's cheap to fix.

Good idea!

Guest nicemac
Which will rust also unless it is coated somehow like other have said.

I have about a dozen SS guns and have never had a speck of rust on any of them.

Guest Lester Weevils

Some people have trouble like that with brass wind instruments such as trumpets. Those are typically lacquer-coated, but some folks will corrode em lickity split just from ordinary handling. IIRC those folks usually need plated brass instruments to avoid the corrosion.

A band director long ago told me that black folk are more likely to have this problem. Maybe or maybe not. Perhaps it is just a ph issue that affects some folks and not others, regardless of race or sex?

Try Rig Gun Grease. I preach the stuff as an old gunsmith put me onto it 30+ years ago. A thin coat will protest most bare or blue finish for quite some time. I have never had a rust issue on my guns. Brownells did a test by leaving bare metal plates outside for 2 weeks coated in various oils and such. The only one that did not rust or even stain was Rig. Just an FYI.