I didnt realize what a responsability it was until...

Guest mbushell

Guest mbushell

Ive been dreaming of my HCP for years now. Havnt had the money, time, or criminal record to do it.

I got it in the mail today! I was/am very excited. I see it as my civic duty. I participate in USPSA/ IDPA. I practice in my backyard range, not by shooting paper, but with a shot timer. I almost always draw, point shoot, da pull from different disadvantaged starting positions. I can hit a 12 x 12 tile almost every time. Im as ready as anyone could be.

I cant help feeling some anxiety toward carrying in public. I took my dog, and gun for its first outing today when I got home. (the gun that is. I walk the dog daily) I walked down the road to the WMA and back. I found myself watching everything around me looking for whatever threat could be hiding. I guess much like a leo would. It was when I noticed I was doing this that I had to ask the question.

Will wearing the gun become second nature like a wallet or watch, or will it change the way I look at the world, changing my nature? I never intended to go out looking for trouble. Will situations or things I wouldnt have noticed now become more into focus? Will I look hard enough for the mugger in the dark parking lot that I will find him, instead of passing by?

Its kinda a philosophical thing ya know:screwy:

Really just my .02, and something I noticed. I guess Im looking for your opinions.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

My personal philosophy is like this: It's like having car insurance. Once you get car insurance, your driving habits shouldn't change at all. You should still be cautious as always, but you shouldn't take any extra risks simply because you have insurance. Carrying a gun is the same way. You should continue on as usual, still cautious, but don't do anything you wouldn't have done before you got your HCP. An HCP isn't a license to start living dangerously. Your number one weapon is your head.

Guest Red5

For me, carrying a gun didn't make me more aware of the dangers out there, it was the other way around. Growing up and becoming more aware of my surroundings led to my decision to carry. Having a gun doesn't sharpen that awareness.

To be honest, in my first couple of weeks of carrying, I was more worried about printing than about any bad guys.

Guest tngw1500se

Everything will go back to normal soon, even though you have a gun on. You'll feel funny without it and looking for bad guys everywhere will go away in time.

The "carry anxiety" will go away soon enough. Remember to keep training at every opportunity though.

Soon enough your gun will just be something you don't leave home without like your keys or wallet.

Guest HCRoadie
Ive been dreaming of my HCP for years now. Havnt had the money, time, or criminal record to do it.

I do not understand this. Are you trying to say that you DID have a criminal record, and it was expunged?

When I am/you are carrying, I found that I must be vigilant about not letting small stuff get to me. I have always been level headed, now I am actually conscious of it. There are a lot of good books about the "mindset" you should have when you take on the responsibility of wearing a gun. Massad Ayoob has several awesome books, Jeff Copper is the definitive voice of self defense. These are the first two that come to mind. Carry on...

Guest friesepferd

you had the same feeling we all did on our fist time out.

heck. i got it the first im i carried with my new carry gun again!

you will get over the feeling of 'omg everyones looking at me, what if they see it!'

i hope you never get over the feeling of watching your surroundings and being prepaired.

Me three. It's very common. You'll get over it to the point where you won't really care if you print a bit or if your shirt rides up and reveals that little bundle of joy while you're reaching for stuff on the top shelf. It's just not that big of a deal after a while.

I don't worry about a gun printing anymore. I've always had about the same awareness level; good or bad I don't know. I do find, however, that when I carry, I'm a bit more likely to avoid certain situations, and much more likely to hold my tongue than when not carrying. In that respect, I'd do well to always carry.

Guest mbushell
I do not understand this. Are you trying to say that you DID have a criminal record, and it was expunged?

When I am/you are carrying, I found that I must be vigilant about not letting small stuff get to me. I have always been level headed, now I am actually conscious of it. There are a lot of good books about the "mindset" you should have when you take on the responsibility of wearing a gun. Massad Ayoob has several awesome books, Jeff Copper is the definitive voice of self defense. These are the first two that come to mind. Carry on...[/quote

I thought the dui I had gotten years ago would exclude me. After some research and a few letters I fixed it

What everyone has said plus. I've noticed that no one notices which is good and also bad. It's good that people don't notice and yell "man with a gun" it's bad people just don't notice what is going on around them. That makes them prey for perps.

My neighbor is frequently out in the afternoon when I arrive home. Several times I've picked up my mail, lunchbag, coffee cup (whatever may be laying in the car) to carry in the house along with my EDC. I can walk over and greet him with my EDC in my hand or tucked under my arm and he never notices.