Anyone use a Saf-T-Block for your Glock?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I carry in my DeSantis fanny pack I don't worry...it's very secure in there because there's a holster inside. My concern is this: I don't wear a belt and usually wear elastic waist pants or shorts.....so I carry 90% of the time in an elastic belly band. This is the most comfortable and concealable way to carry for me. The Saf-T-Blok looks like a good way to insure that the trigger does not accidentally get pulled. I was just wondering if anyone has ever used them......and if they work as well as the ads say they do.

Guest jackdog

No ,no , no,

Inorder to use this thing your putting your finger in the trigger guard, not good gun safety. Train to never put your finger in the trigger guard until your ready to destroy the target. The Glock Just Like Kel Tec and other guns were designed for people that have good trigger safety. You would be far better off teaching yourself the stead fast rule of never putting your finger near the trigger until your ready to shoot. Plus in a panic situation you may forget to free the device. I hardly ever use the word stupid, but this device to me is just that. It will revervse train you. stay far far away from these things.

Well, the way it's advertised is that you don't put your finger in there to pop it out until your ready to fire. I wouldn't pop it out until I new I was going to have to shoot.....if I decide to get it. I would also practice with it a lot before I started carrying with it. I have had Glocks since 1990 and I'm very comfortable with them.....but I have a three year old little boy now that loves to climb on me.........I've also been considering changing to the "New York" trigger......any thoughts?

Guest DonRickles
No ,no , no,

Inorder to use this thing your putting your finger in the trigger guard, not good gun safety. Train to never put your finger in the trigger guard until your ready to destroy the target. The Glock Just Like Kel Tec and other guns were designed for people that have good trigger safety. You would be far better off teaching yourself the stead fast rule of never putting your finger near the trigger until your ready to shoot. Plus in a panic situation you may forget to free the device. I hardly ever use the word stupid, but this device to me is just that. It will revervse train you. stay far far away from these things.

+1 Jackdog is absolutely correct on this. Do not waste time on something that potentially could cause a ND or impair your ability to use your gun. The best thing to do is get a holster that completely covers the trigger. If you must, carry the J-Frame in the belly band. The NY trigger modules will give you a more revolver like trigger. A 3.5 connector and a NY-1 module gives you a very nice 8.5 LB pull. It has a very smooth uptake to the break and then a very snappy reset. I tried this setup for awhile but ultimately returned to stock. Anything heavier than this and you might as well just carry a club. I reiterate if you are worried about having the Glock around your kid then put it in the safe(without a Safe-T_Block) and carry your revolver.

Thanks for the input guys. What you're saying does make sense to me. I think I will check on getting the NY trigger.....maybe not as heavy as 8.5 though. I don't know if I can make this work, but I had an idea last night about carrying my G27 in my belly band safely......I'm thinking that I could get one of those very small plastic belt holsters that cover the trigger gaurd completely, maybe cut off the sides where the belt goes through.......and then sew it into the belly band gun pocket.....I'm going to experiment with this idea and see what I can come up with. I really want to be able to safely carry my Glock in my belly band around my 3 yr. old son.

The New York 1 trigger spring, with stock connector, produces a trigger pull weight of ~8 pounds. The New York 2 with stock connector produces ~12 pounds. The NY1 with 3.5 connector produces ~5-5.5 pounds (about the same as stock), but feels slightly more DA revolver-like, and has a more pronounced reset. The stock trigger spring w/ 3.5 connector produces ~4.5 pounds. Like many, I messed around with the NY1 and different connectors, but ended up going back to the stock setup.

I have a Safe-t-blok and i kind of like it, sometimes if i put it in my gun and put it in my holster and sit or move the wrong way it kind of halfway comes out. but if you leave it in your gun you can put a small lock through the hole in the side of the block and it is locked for added security if you have littleones running around..

I also had one for my Glock 19. I would use it when carrying using my SmartCarry holster.

Yes, it might have added a half second to my "draw and shoot" time, but what that muzzle was pointing at at the beginning of that half second, and what it was pointing at at the end of that half second, is what mattered to me. :popcorn:

Guest slow ride

If you feel the need for one, then I think you need one. IMO, the #1 safety is your brain and trigger finger. The only way the weapon will fire is by pulling the trigger; keep your finger along the slide and out of the trigger guard until it's time to shoot.

A good holster will have the trigger completely covered when holstered.

Ok.......I have to admit it.........I did get one of these for my Glock 27. Go ahead, feel free to tell me how dumb they are if you wish........but I have two good reasons for wanting a little extra safety while carrying. #1 is my three year old son, and #2 is that I carry in a belly band. I had to get one and try it for myself to see if I liked it or not. Guess what? I like it.

I tested it for several days in my gun without a round chambered to see if it would stay in place. For the most part it did stay put.....a couple times I found it partially out of place, but still in enough to block the trigger. I also practiced drawing my gun and popping the safety block out. This process is quick and seems completely effortless to me. Overall, I think it is a good device for extra safety in a Glock, especially if you are carrying in a soft holster like a belly band, smart carry, or maybe a clipdraw.

However, I wouldn't recommend it to a beginning shooter though. I think you need to have plenty experience with carrying a chambered gun and realizing that you can't put your finger on the trigger until you have your sights on the target. I know what several of you are going to say to this......you can't pop the safety block out without putting your finger inside the trigger gaurd. In a way that's true, but I am able to pop the block out with the side of my trigger finger without putting my finger all the way into the trigger gaurd. There's no way I'm going to accidentally pull the trigger on a Glock by pressing in on the side of the trigger......my finger would have to be in front of the trigger and then I'd have to pull it back. I have been hunting deer with a 12 gauge shotgun since I was 11. I'm sure you're all familiar with shotguns that have the safety on the side of the trigger gaurd. Disengaging that type of safety on a shotgun before you're ready to shoot a deer is a very similar motion to popping out the safety block in the Glock. Well, at least that's what it feels like to me, and I imagine that's why I feel pretty comfortable with it.

Ok.......now let me have it Mars and Jackdog :P:D

Edited by PackinMama

it has long been said that Glocks are not for two types of people. novice shooters and people with kids. i still say that sticking your finger into the trigger well for anything other than firing is still a bad idea. yes, you can practice to your hearts content, but toss in a real life scenario and adrenaline.

It looks like from what I can tell,that theres a portion of the block that sticks out far enough to pop it out with-out sticking you finger in the trigger gaurd.Is this correct?

Yes, it does stick out of the trigger gaurd enough to pop it out without actually sticking your finger into the gaurd. Here's a couple pics:

DSC01021.JPG

DSC01020.JPG

Edited by PackinMama
Guest .45Jon

I personally think/thought it was a neat idea, but I think u should practice a WHOLE lot until it becomes like 2nd nature b/c if the time comes when you have to defend your life all your gonna be thinking is pull & shoot not pull-pop out safe t block & shoot.