Tell me bout your zero turn mowers

I'm in the market for one, and not sure what to get. My neighobr has a $2500 Cub Cadet and loves it. My dad has a $8500 Dixie Chopper and loves it. I'm going to be mowing about 6 acres; part of it is in good shape, and part of it is pretty rough and rocky. I want to cut it as quick as I can for as little money as I can, and not have to spend a lot of time repairing the mower. I see a wide variation in prices on these, and although I do see differences in the least and most expensive models, I'm not sure the good ones are worth the extra dough. Whadda you think?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Finish mower for a tractor might be an option for your yard, if you were so inclined. Cheaper than a zero turn, and your tractor could probably pull a 6 or 7' finish mower. There would be more trimming after mowing compared to a zero turn, though.

I'm mowing with a bushhog right now, as my riding mower laid down. I'm really looking for something faster, and that will do a better job. I might be happy with a belly mower, but aren't they a pain to out on and take off? I use my tractor for other things regularly.

Finish mowers are just like belly mowers, big lawnmowers. Not rough cut like a bush hog. Most modern ones are designed to mount of the three point. Not sure how large of a bush hog you're cutting with, but you could probably pull a 7' finish mower. Turning with a tractor and mower that size might be a pain if you have a lot of trees to go around. I don't recall too many, though.

Guest tnfireman

Greg, with that much acreage I would suggest a pull behind finish mower. I have a 6' model and it does really good. It is easier to hook up and unhook than a bush hog. I also have a poulin zero turn, it does good as well just not as fast as the tractor mount.

Guest ADAM

i had a cub cadet zero turn and it was horrible to mow my yard. the front yard was easy but my back yard is on a hill if i mowed sideways the front of the mower would turn downhill and i couldnt keep a straight line to save my life(I even filled the tires full of fluid to add weight and it didnt help), and mowing up and down the hill was worse as far as going up no problem but coming back down it would either back spin the wheels and not stop or I would have to go until I hit the fence , get off and the pull the mower around. so my advice is that if its flat there great but hilly the suck. I went to a zero turn lawn tractor its still a cub cadet but a regular style.

You can only mow as fast as your ground will let you. A high performance car can only go so fast over a speed bump. If your land is rough the fastest mower will mow slow.

I have a Grasshopper 61" cut that I bought used from the local Grasshopper dealer, it had 1200 hours on it when I got it. It has 1330 on it now. It was a trade in from a landscapping company. I mow about 4 acres out of 10 and rotary cut the other 6 as needed. I spend a lot of money buying the cheaper Home Deopt, Lowes mowers. That were junk, and would beat me to death while mowing.

Craig's List is full of commercial mowers, they are better built than that Big Box Store crap. I have had mine for 3 years and love it. Your local dealer will also have mowers traded in from there long time landscapping customers they have dealt with for years. In most cases the dealer has serviced these machines since new.

Guest nicemac
I'm in the market for one, and not sure what to get. My neighobr has a $2500 Cub Cadet and loves it. My dad has a $8500 Dixie Chopper and loves it. I'm going to be mowing about 6 acres; part of it is in good shape, and part of it is pretty rough and rocky. I want to cut it as quick as I can for as little money as I can, and not have to spend a lot of time repairing the mower. I see a wide variation in prices on these, and although I do see differences in the least and most expensive models, I'm not sure the good ones are worth the extra dough. Whadda you think?

If your neighbor loves his Cub Cadet ZT, he makes exactly the first person I have heard of that does. Years ago, Cub was a great machine–these days, junk.

Residential zero turns are JUNK, just like residential riding mowers are JUNK. Buy a new commercial mower or pick up a used one - you'll thank me for saving you the trouble.

If you don't want to listen to that advice, then at least follow this advice: If the mower has a *stamped* steel deck, it's JUNK. If it has a welded steel deck, you have half a chance of the mower lasting more than 2 seasons.

A good 3pt finish mower is another option that would probably serve you well.

Is all 6 acres "yard"? Or is part of it yard, and the rest just needs to get cut?

Is all 6 acres "yard"? Or is part of it yard, and the rest just needs to get cut?

I'd say the latter is more accurate. I'm not looking to win an award with the lawn of the month club, just for a fast way to mow it, and for a lawnmower I don't need to work on twice a month.

Guest Spurhunter

Some good advice so far.

I used to mow pesdo-commercially. I tried a bunch, and my first Z-trun was a Cub. I was so excited, it even said "commercial" on it. What a Pain in the Azz that mower was. it threw belts like crazy, I was replacing blades every month due to damage beyond repair, the gear drives were choppy and I had to rig the control arms all the time trying to keep them stable and useable. I broke down and bought Scag's first foray into the "residential" market the Scag Freedom-Z. $5200 at 4 years ago, probably a little higher now.

HEAVY welded steel deck, sealed spindals, 26HP Briggs motor, etc etc. 4 years later it still has the original blades on it, just having to resharpen occasioanly, but Ive never even bent one. Isolated foot decks to minimize vibration, super plush seats, the list goes on and on.

Do yourself a favor, and go check them out.

You can only mow as fast as your ground will let you. A high performance car can only go so fast over a speed bump. If your land is rough the fastest mower will mow slow.

I have a Grasshopper 61" cut that I bought used from the local Grasshopper dealer, it had 1200 hours on it when I got it. It has 1330 on it now. It was a trade in from a landscapping company. I mow about 4 acres out of 10 and rotary cut the other 6 as needed. I spend a lot of money buying the cheaper Home Deopt, Lowes mowers. That were junk, and would beat me to death while mowing.

Craig's List is full of commercial mowers, they are better built than that Big Box Store crap. I have had mine for 3 years and love it. Your local dealer will also have mowers traded in from there long time landscapping customers they have dealt with for years. In most cases the dealer has serviced these machines since new.

I also have a Grasshopper 61" front mount zero turn. Don't waste your money on any of the big box store mowers. I had a troy built zero turn before I got the grasshopper and it was just as slow as a regular mower. Same engine and deck as the tractor mowers. The Grasshopper I have has a kubota engine that will probably out last the mower itself. Take everybodys advice and spend the money once. Watch craigslist for some good used commercial mowers.

I'd say the latter is more accurate. I'm not looking to win an award with the lawn of the month club, just for a fast way to mow it, and for a lawnmower I don't need to work on twice a month.

So how much actual yard do you need to cut that you want to look like a "yard"? A good used walk-behind (With a stand-on sulke/velke) is not a bad option.

Just keep in mind that just because it is a zero turn, it's not necessarily "fast". In fact, many of the residential mowers have pretty weak drive pumps, and they just aren't very fast at all. To get the speed - and a decent cut at that speed - the answer comes back around to getting a commercial grade mower.

And the simple fact is that a good commercial mower - used in a residential setting - will practically last FOREVER. No more buying a new mower every few years when it falls apart, etc.

Guest boatme99

Like Adam said, they're not great on hills. I used to have a commercial lawn business and I found the front deck walk behinds worked best in most applications. You can attach a sulky seat or stand on bar for "turf surfing".

If your neighbor loves his Cub Cadet ZT, he makes exactly the first person I have heard of that does. Years ago, Cub was a great machine–these days, junk.

Ive had mine for about 4 years now and I still love it!

Guest SUNTZU

ExMark makes great zero turns. I tried a number of different brands until I found them. Great mowers.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Guest Spurhunter
Thanks for all the replies so far. I've found a Kubota Diesel model I really like, but it's a big job convincing my wife we need a $12k lawnmover.

Take a Freedom Z for a test drive and look at how its built for under 6K and you wont look at anything else.

Thanks for all the replies so far. I've found a Kubota Diesel model I really like, but it's a big job convincing my wife we need a $12k lawnmover.

I just showed the wife how to use my Great Dane today, she is now addicted!! I am now convinced that we need a back up anyway 0 percent financing for 5 years I will be getting the Diesel Kubota ZD331P-60 it looks like an awesome mower!