S&W K-Frame?

My friend at work has a S&W K Frame .44 mag. 10-5/8" barrel. He told me today that he wanted to maybe sell it or trade it for a semi auto. I guess I'm the only person he knows that knows about guns, but I don't know crap about revolvers and probably never will. I did shoot it, and when I say hair trigger, I mean Hair trigger. Wow! He had a smith install a scope on it but I don't know any details about it, didn't pay attention. Not looking to sell or trade through this post, just looking for a ballpark figure and don't really know what questions to ask him about it. I'll see if he can send me a pic. to load. Any help would be great. Thanks.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume you must be referring to the Model 29 or 629, which are on the N-frame, not the K-frame. K-frames were primarily 357/38 special and below. No 44s in the K-frame that I can recall.

As JC57 said, there ain't enough room in a K frame for a 44 mag round. Sounds like someone has screwed up the hammer, trigger, sear, etc. Since you stated that you "don't know crap about revolvers", my advice would be to leave it alone.

So your friend wants to sell or trade this gun, 10 5/8" barrel Model 29 or 629 from the sound of it, with a very light (I'm assuming) single-action trigger, possibly tuned by a gunsmith, with a scope of some sort installed, and he's asking you what you think it's worth so he'll know how to price it?

For that gun, depending on the specific model and generation (the number after the dash, i.e. "29-2"), the condition, whether he still has the original box, papers, what brand of scope, whether or not the gun had to be modified to attach the scope, the value could range anywhere from 500-ish to over $1,000. One thing that might knock the price down would be low demand for a specialized long-barrel gun like that. It's essentially only good for handgun hunting, so there will be fewer interested parties in general.

However, that's not a common barrel length so it's got rarity going for it. He'd just have to be lucky and find someone who really wants one of those. It's one of those things where there may not be many people looking for a gun like that, but those few that are might be *really* looking for it.

I don't think I would go past the $300-$400 range for it. As mentioned above, that length barrel really limits the market. Unless it is a really nice scope, that doesn't really increase its value any. Hopefully, he didn't screw up the internals to much, maybe he just backed out the mainspring all the way. If not, parts can be hard to find and may have to be fitted.

When he gets back in town and at home with it, I'll call him so he can look at it. It is double action of course. When I shot it, I cocked the hammer back. That's where the hair trigger comes into play. I'll probably be able to update saturday.

smilielol5.gifIf you find a Smith & Wesson .44MAG, or almost any S&W revolver for $300 and it hasn’t been drug on a rope behind car; buy it.

If it’s a .44Mag it’s probably going to be worth at least $600 probably more like $800-900. Get us some more info and we can give you a better idea.

It’s an N-frame (unless it’s a .44 Special), it’s already too big for a carry gun, so barrel length won’t be a big deal.

Edited by DaveTN
Guest tbone

Whenever I am trying to determine the value of a gun, I like to find the same one, (or as close to it at possible) on one of the many online auction websites. (Gunbroker, Guns America, Auction Arms, etc) I note what the opening bids are and follow them to see what price they sell for. I think that this is the best way to gauge what the current market will pay. Once a realistic price has been determined, I would try to sell on one of these sites also. Gunbroker especially has good user tutorials if one has never done this before. Your friend will never be able to show his gun to as many people as when he lists it online with pictures.

Guest Lester Weevils

I'm not any authority on S&W revolvers but wonder why so many are implying the trigger must have been monkeyed with and possibly maimed? Dunno anything about it and maybe so.

Have only had two S&W revolvers.

The one made about 1999 had what I would consider a very light trigger when cocked for single action firing.

The other, made sometime in the 1980's I would describe as a hair trigger when cocked for single action use. Straight from the factory they were that-a-way.

So it doesn't seem impossible that FlyAnything is describing a factory unmodified trigger? But what do I know. Not much. :wall:

I'm not any authority on S&W revolvers but wonder why so many are implying the trigger must have been monkeyed with and possibly maimed?

I wondered the same thing. Most S&W’s break like glass in single action with a very light pull.

Really doesn’t matter anyway to an S&W collector. The parts are readily available and easy to replace.

SW come with very good SA trigger pulls but there are a lot of shade tree gunsmiths that screw them up. They can usually be fixed pretty easily. One thing I do to test the SA sear is to cock the revolver, and then push the hammer forward with my thumb. Not real hard but fairy firmly. If you can push the hammer off the sear it then it has been polished and rounded over. If the mainspring has been ground on or bent, or the strain screw has been backed out that is a really easy fix. As to the scope mounting, see if there were any holes drilled into the frame for the scope mount. This will lower the value considerably for me as I cannot just remove the mount to restore the gun to stock. Also, where is the rear sight, is it lost?

smilielol5.gifIf you find a Smith & Wesson .44MAG, or almost any S&W revolver for $300 and it hasn’t been drug on a rope behind car; buy it.

If it’s a .44Mag it’s probably going to be worth at least $600 probably more like $800-900. Get us some more info and we can give you a better idea.

It’s an N-frame (unless it’s a .44 Special), it’s already too big for a carry gun, so barrel length won’t be a big deal.

With a "hair trigger" and a scope someone installed? Depending on how the scope was installed, it may or may not be a problem. It certainly sounds like some monkey stoned the internals and didn't have a clue what he was doing. The prices you list are collector prices. Here's what a lot of people don't seem to understand: Collectors don't want a gun bubba has worked on, they want a pristine, factory original gun.

With a "hair trigger" and a scope someone installed? Depending on how the scope was installed, it may or may not be a problem. It certainly sounds like some monkey stoned the internals and didn't have a clue what he was doing. The prices you list are collector prices. Here's what a lot of people don't seem to understand: Collectors don't want a gun bubba has worked on, they want a pristine, factory original gun.

I’m a collector. If it’s not factory perfect (and very few are) it’s priced accordingly. If it’s a model 29 go ahead and put me down for first dibs at $300….. sight unseen. :D

However… we have no idea what it is yet. :D

Well, it figures. I talked to him today and he's going to send me some pics. Now he can't get his computer to come on. Probably buy a new one tonight. I asked him about the trigger, he says he bought it new and never had any work done to it except for the mounting of the scope. Drilled and tapped by a gunsmith in Arizona. I'll get back with pics as soon as I get them and more info. Said he didn't see any numbers on it, He'll look under the grips tonight.

Well, it figures. I talked to him today and he's going to send me some pics. Now he can't get his computer to come on. Probably buy a new one tonight. I asked him about the trigger, he says he bought it new and never had any work done to it except for the mounting of the scope. Drilled and tapped by a gunsmith in Arizona. I'll get back with pics as soon as I get them and more info. Said he didn't see any numbers on it, He'll look under the grips tonight.

Tell him to open the cylinder and look on the frame at the front of the cylinder for the model number. It will be a number like 29-5.

On a Smith & Wesson the first number is the model number (29) the second number after the “dash†is the engineering release number. (Dash 5)

We also might be able to tell what it is from a serial number.

It's a 29-3 or later. Make sure and get the sights if you buy it. It is a shooter; not a collector with holes drilled in it. If you'd like a shooter, and assuming the trigger hasn't been screwed with, $500 would probably be a fair price......BUT ONLY IF YOU GET THE SIGHTS WITH IT!!!!!!

Guest Lester Weevils

If it was in Chattanooga I'd buy it for $300 if it runs. As best can tell from the pictures it looks well cared for.

If it was in Chattanooga I'd buy it for $300 if it runs. As best can tell from the pictures it looks well cared for.

Sorry, I called dibs at that price back at post 14 when it was thrown out and I didn’t even need to see the gun. :P

In all seriousness though…

If that’s a 29 (and I can’t tell from those pics that it is) it a Silhouette, which started at a -3. It was produced 83 to 91.

I’d give him a Tupperware gun for it, if that is what he wants. If you don’t make deal; let me know.

Ok, I got to see it again before going out of town. It is a 29-3. The trigger feels like maybe a one pound or so pull, I can't tell, not enough experience but very light compared to my semi's. It has adjustable sights front and rear. The scope mount was professionally installed and uses a three ring system. It's a tasco scope. 4X I believe. Stainless trigger and if memory serves me right also the hammer. He sent a couple more pics but they're really fuzzy. I can't strike any deals on this thread, but may list it for him in the classifieds if he wants. Just need to know a ballpark figure.

Ok, I got to see it again before going out of town. It is a 29-3. The trigger feels like maybe a one pound or so pull, I can't tell, not enough experience but very light compared to my semi's. It has adjustable sights front and rear. The scope mount was professionally installed and uses a three ring system. It's a tasco scope. 4X I believe. Stainless trigger and if memory serves me right also the hammer. He sent a couple more pics but they're really fuzzy. I can't strike any deals on this thread, but may list it for him in the classifieds if he wants. Just need to know a ballpark figure.

If it has a front adjustable sight and it is 10 5/8s barrel it is a silhouette model. If it is not damaged by the scope install it is worth around 900 not 300.

Smith&Wesson .44 Magnum mod.29-3 10 1/2 : Revolvers at GunBroker.com

Here is a older gunbroker listing.