Range Report

Defender

Had a long overdue visit to the range yesterday, shot several of my newer guns that I hadn't shot before:

1. Bersa .22LR: Reliable. great little gun, similar in size the the Bersa 380, but no recoil of course. Went bang every time, and ended up shooting this one the most due to sheer fun and low ammo cost.

2. Keltec PMR-30 .22WMR: Fun as heck to shoot. Didnt have a single issue in the 4 mags I ran through it. Easy and fun and reliable sights were very easy to see and use. Shot this one with the original barrel and didnt see any problems with keyholing at all, but then the distance I was shooting was pretty close up. Not sure if the keyholing takes effect at certain longer diustance or what.

3. Bersa .380 CC: Reliable. Good shooter, easy to shoot, but sights terrible. Fun to shoot though. Reliable no problems at all.

4. S&W Bodguard: Reliable, but really disappointed in this one. Laser was extremely difficult to turn on and off for me, and it kicked so much it hurt, lol. I think laser will be useless in quick situations, but still the most concealable gun I have so I will probably keep until I figure out a better 380 or 9mm.

5. Ketec PF-9: Reliable, but, again, so light that it almost hurt to shoot.

6. Ruger .327 Mag: Bigger gun, not what Id want to carry every day, and trigger pull in double action was atrocious. Accurate though in single action. Disappointed with several what appeared to be light strikes on brand name ammo. Either that or the ammo was bad.

7. Sig Sauer 1911 Carry .45 ACP: GREAT shooter. VERY accurate and no problems at all. VERY VERY easy and fun to shoot. Definitely a keeper.

8. Sig sauer 1911 Scorpion .45 ACP: See number 7, above, lol. Nothing negative to say at all. All good.

Summary: I've just renewed my love for 1911s in general, and also become quite the sig fan! I can't figure out which of the 2 sig 1911s I like best. Does this mean I'll have to carry BOTH of them, lol? Scorpion as primary and carry as backup? Seriously, I can't believe how much I like these two. Only drawback really is the cost of .45 ACP ammo, which limits amount I can shoot.

I'm really thinking about getting a 1911 .22LR now, for more regular affordable shooting. Saw that Sig makes one. Some say its the same as the GSG but with Sig markings. May go with something cheaper tho...open to recommendations...

Lastly, as I age, my eyes are geting worse. I found my aim to be not as good as I used to be. This is due at least in part, to not being able to clearly focus on the front sight. I will be adding some kind of 'marker' on all my front sights. Paint or something high vis. Not sure yet what exactly I will use, but it will go on all of my pistols except the PMR 30 already has great easy to see sights.

Edited by barewoolf
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for posting your report. I'd have to agree with all your assesments, especially the part about age and eyesight And very glad to hear about your satisfaction with the Sig 45'sand the PMR-30. Been cosidering both and that just makes the decision a little easier.

Sorry to say that I'd give the Bodyguard even worse marks than you. I just flat-out hated it. Awkward and unplesant to shoot. Pretty much the same said for the PF-9. Sold mine almost immediately after purchase. And so did father-in-law.

Thanks for posting your report. I'd have to agree with all your assesments, especially the part about age and eyesight And very glad to hear about your satisfaction with the Sig 45'sand the PMR-30. Been cosidering both and that just makes the decision a little easier.

Sorry to say that I'd give the Bodyguard even worse marks than you. I just flat-out hated it. Awkward and unplesant to shoot. Pretty much the same said for the PF-9. Sold mine almost immediately after purchase. And so did father-in-law.

The pluses for them, to me, is the concealablility. There are many times when I just cant get away with a bigger gun than those two. I am definitely going to seek alternatives. Did you find a suitable replacement for the Bodyguard and PF-9? My primary carry is an FN FNP-45USG, which I love, but it is less concealable than the 1911s. Their relative flatness makes them better than the FN, but even they are too large/heavy for some places I go or some ways I dress...There are times when the smaller the better suits my environment.

as a sig fan, you might like the p238. I replaced my p-40 (same as p-11) with a px4 beretta but its very, very fat and wouldnt do for you probably. The lc9 by ruger is a p-11 replacement in 9mm but not a single person I have talked to actually likes the thing... they seem to work fine but I hear everything from bad trigger to high recoil and more. All the small 9mms and 40s are DAO and pretty horrid all around. If you like 9mm and 1911s para makes a couple of small versions in 9mm, single stack and thinish. I found the sig to be the best option though, overall. It replaced my makarov, which is somewhat bigger but still quite slim and not a large gun. I my mak, but the sig cuts one size off it which helps for those times when you really need a very small gun. Oh, and NAA makes a very small 380 DAO semi automatic along with its tiny revolvers.

If you are looking for a .22 1911 the GSG is the way to go. I had a Puma first and sold it and bought a GSG. My eyes are getting old too and the sights on the GSG are great. I never tried the Sig.

Cool. Thanks for the tip. Ive heard that the Sig 1911 22 is a rebranded GSG. Bet the GSG is cheaper tho.

Not a great choice for ccw, but ususally have an LCP on belt or in pocket. Just picked up a Walther PPS in 40. Really like the size, it's very close to the PF-9 and fits in a belt slide I have easily and doesn't show under an untucked shirt. And at my size and weight, I'm usually untucked, so it works well in that respect. Yes the 40 is a bit snappy in the polymer frame, but not impossibly so to cause reluctance to shoot on my part.

I still find myself ocassionally going back to a PT-145. It's really just a little wider than the PPS and really easier to shoot. Plus has 10+1 rounds instead of 6+1 for carry. I guess in reality, depending on where I go and how I dress...it's the lcp or PT for usuall circumstance. I've been trying out the XD9sc and a Glock 19 as well, but no decision yet.

If I were really attuned and accustomed to 1911 carry, which I'm not; I'd have to go with my Springer 4" Loaded Operator. Good size and weight, plus accurate andcomfortable to shoot. But I've been so into no manual safety guns for so long, I figuued that I was too old and set in my ways to change comfortably.

What do you like most about your FNP-45USG, and the least? I fondled one the other day and it felt really nice.

Like: Almost everything. It has NEVER had any kind of malfunction at all and happily eats any ammo. Holds 15+1 of .45ACP. I like the different ways I can cary it, i.e. round in chamber and cocked, locked, and on safe for single action only first fire, or round in chamber and decocked and safety either on or off, for double action first fire. Seems durable and is reliable.

Dislikes: Big and heavy for concealable EDC, but I usually manage, lol. I wear OWB with a bigger untucked shirt over a tshirt so it works, but can't really carry it with a tucked in shirt and it not show. Finish of slide is an odd texture, looks and feels like it may be dirty or something, but doesnt seem to hurt anything. This is not a real dislikeable thing, just not a pretty gun, lol.

Overall, I like it. Have carried it ALOT since Ive got it a year or so ago.

Not a great choice for ccw, but ususally have an LCP on belt or in pocket. Just picked up a Walther PPS in 40. Really like the size, it's very close to the PF-9 and fits in a belt slide I have easily and doesn't show under an untucked shirt. And at my size and weight, I'm usually untucked, so it works well in that respect. Yes the 40 is a bit snappy in the polymer frame, but not impossibly so to cause reluctance to shoot on my part.

I still find myself ocassionally going back to a PT-145. It's really just a little wider than the PPS and really easier to shoot. Plus has 10+1 rounds instead of 6+1 for carry. I guess in reality, depending on where I go and how I dress...it's the lcp or PT for usuall circumstance. I've been trying out the XD9sc and a Glock 19 as well, but no decision yet.

If I were really attuned and accustomed to 1911 carry, which I'm not; I'd have to go with my Springer 4" Loaded Operator. Good size and weight, plus accurate andcomfortable to shoot. But I've been so into no manual safety guns for so long, I figuued that I was too old and set in my ways to change comfortably.

In many situations, I'm limited to pocket carry, and can sometimes get away with the PF-9, but sometimes only the Bodyguard. Ive had a Keltec P3At and a Taurus TCP and thought I would like the Bodyguard more than I do. Only thing I do like is the size and weight. I understand that firing a small gun in .380 or 9mm is going to not be fun,. lol. And I can live with that, since I wont be shooting them for fun, but I just cant seem to find something I like am happy with in those calibers. I've limited myself to pocket guns for certain occasions, but I might need to be thinking about something in a IWB, in a supertuck maybe...but still it would have to be very light due to my style of dress at many times.

Guest motonut

Lastly, as I age, my eyes are geting worse. I found my aim to be not as good as I used to be. This is due at least in part, to not being able to clearly focus on the front sight. I will be adding some kind of 'marker' on all my front sights. Paint or something high vis. Not sure yet what exactly I will use, but it will go on all of my pistols except the PMR 30 already has great easy to see sights.

Boy can I sympathize with this.... Let us know when you come up with a solution.

I added a Sig SP2022 9mm to the collection about a month ago, love it. Nice gun but when you factor in the price I think it's a great gun. Love to add a Sig 1911 to the collection.

Thanks for the report.

Guest olddog

had the same problem with s&w bodyguard laser. during removal and cleaning i noticed the buttons attached to laser were out of place. sent laser to s&w. got a new laser back and also the rubber buttons that fit in the pistol body. it now works great. however, it still takes time to activate the laser that i am not sure i would always have. also, i still don't like the trigger pull. i tend to pull the trigger back 1/2 way and then ease into the shot. this sometimes causes ftf. the size is hard to beat. i have been looking at a sig 290, but the cost is limiting.

I am looking to get a pf-9 again someday. they are definetly snappy, especially compared to the new gen4 G19 (my only glock experience is on gen4's....) I like the size, weight, and price range of them most! I would prefer it to be 1911 style but you pretty much sacrifice all three of those with what is currently on the market. The sig 238 will be a pocket gun for me someday. I definitely prefer the feel of them bodyguard.

Cool. Thanks for the tip. Ive heard that the Sig 1911 22 is a rebranded GSG. Bet the GSG is cheaper tho.

I looked up the Sig and it is the same gun as the GSG. Only dif is the grips and the price +$40-$??? for the SIG name. Belshire in Nashville has the GSG for $314 shipped on GunBroker.

I carry either a Glock G26 or a Taurus PT140 Pro. Both are great guns and shoot well. I`m not real happy with the Heine sights on the Taurus but I can deal with them for now. I also carry a Taurus TCP in the pocket as a back up. Like the TCP for the way it shoots but don`t like the recoil of the little guns. I am looking at a new Sig P250 but haven`t had a chance to hold or shoot one yet. Wife says that I don`t need any more guns but it is a cheap hobby. I only own 19 at this time so I have room for a few more.

I looked up the Sig and it is the same gun as the GSG. Only dif is the grips and the price +$40-$??? for the SIG name. Belshire in Nashville has the GSG for $314 shipped on GunBroker.

THAT sounds good to me.

had the same problem with s&w bodyguard laser. during removal and cleaning i noticed the buttons attached to laser were out of place. sent laser to s&w. got a new laser back and also the rubber buttons that fit in the pistol body. it now works great. however, it still takes time to activate the laser that i am not sure i would always have. also, i still don't like the trigger pull. i tend to pull the trigger back 1/2 way and then ease into the shot. this sometimes causes ftf. the size is hard to beat. i have been looking at a sig 290, but the cost is limiting.

I'm going to contact my dealer about the Bodyguard. Im convinced something is amiss and its not me. When I got the gun I could turn on the laser pretty easily, but at the range and since, the only way I can is by using my fingernail. Since the whole purpose of this gun is to be used in an emergency, if I cant activate the laser why have it. Kinda wish Id went with a Ruger and a Crimson Trace now.

I am looking to get a pf-9 again someday. they are definetly snappy, especially compared to the new gen4 G19 (my only glock experience is on gen4's....) I like the size, weight, and price range of them most! I would prefer it to be 1911 style but you pretty much sacrifice all three of those with what is currently on the market. The sig 238 will be a pocket gun for me someday. I definitely prefer the feel of them bodyguard.

I could live with the PF-9, but I am really concerned abouit the size of the trigger guard.The trigger guard looks really adequate, but the trigger sets so far forward that I can barely get my fat fingers in the opening in front of the trigger. Anyone know of a fix for this? Can the trigger be moved or reset somehow?

Guest friesepferd

Sounds like fun! Gotta love those 1911s.

In responce to your eyes... I HIGHLY suggest the XS Big Dot sights. I don't have eye problems, but I still love them. So much easier to find that front sight with these.

Sounds like fun! Gotta love those 1911s.

In responce to your eyes... I HIGHLY suggest the XS Big Dot sights. I don't have eye problems, but I still love them. So much easier to find that front sight with these.

I will look into those sights. Thanks!

I could live with the PF-9, but I am really concerned abouit the size of the trigger guard.The trigger guard looks really adequate, but the trigger sets so far forward that I can barely get my fat fingers in the opening in front of the trigger. Anyone know of a fix for this? Can the trigger be moved or reset somehow?

Check the kel tech owners group site for tips, several folks have said the same. The trigger pull can be adjusted a little bit in a few ways, DIY stuff. Its a DAO, the trigger reset is the entire pull... so all you can do is adjust the length of pull (slightly) and pull weight (slightly) and possibly do something to the guard (not sure).

Good report. I too was disappointed in my Bodyguard hence the price drop due to slowing sales. After trying several 380's I settled on a Sig P238. It hasn't disappointed me yet. I once owned a PF9, great gun for the price but it stung my hand to shoot it. I moved onto a Ruger SR9c and then a Kahr PM9 and I'm pretty happy now. I've got both Glocks on the ready guarding each floor of my home and a really nice 3 inch 1911 Kimber Ultra Carry as my main EDC. I learned to love the 1911 and its unique features. I'd love to try them all but a little $hort on ca$h for that!