What to buy next?

Guest Cato

Ok. So I am not really happy with my CW9 anymore which has been my EDC for a while now. So what should i get? I don't want a wheel gun and I have been interested in a CZ75 or sig p226. What you guys think?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point.

1. I dont enjoy shooting it. I am fairly accurate with it but have never been completely comfortable.

2. I would like to have a either a larger caliber or more rounds.

3. Also just kinda bored with it. Don't know if this is because of #1 or if it's the other way around. ;)

Guest bkelm18
Good point.

1. I dont enjoy shooting it. I am fairly accurate with it but have never been completely comfortable.

2. I would like to have a either a larger caliber or more rounds.

3. Also just kinda bored with it. Don't know if this is because of #1 or if it's the other way around. ;)

The CZ75 is a great pistol. So is the P226. My suggestion would be to find a range that rents handguns and try out a few and see what you like and don't like.

That's the problem with Jackson/West TN not a lot here in that regard. Only one indoor range within an hr., and they are light in the rental dept. So i would be driving to Memphis or Nashville before I could really find anything.

I do agree with you though, trying out the guns and shooting them would be my best bet. Just looking to see what others thought before I made the time and money investment of driving 2-4hrs.

Guest bkelm18

CZ75s have some of the best ergonomics I've ever felt in a pistol and are rock solid. Very popular. P226s are very good quality, maybe a little on the large/heavy side for carry, but that's just my preference. I personally carry a Smith and Wesson M&P 9 or 45 depending on my mood. Very good reliability, high capacity, and American made, if that matters.

Thanks I thought the same thing about the sig when I first held it. (maybe this is a little too big) All the CZ's that I have held have felt great. Thanks for the thoughts of the S&W's I have thought about those every time I have held or shot one I have liked them. Don't know why I didn't think of them but they always seem to slip my mind.

What about some of the smaller sig models anyone have thoughts on those.

Guest nysos

If you are replacing the cw9 as a carry gun, the cz would probably be easier to conceal than a 226 as it is a fairly thin gun. I believe lighter weight as well. couldn't go wrong with either, but personally I had been concealing my p229 and although the weight/size didn't bother me, I still noticed it. It wasn't uncomfortable, but I knew it was there. I just recently picked up an m&p40c and haven't look back when it comes to carry. The thing disappears and I don't even notice it compared to my p229.

Honestly you will probably love either gun, but is going to be a different world carrying a larger gun and one with a metal frame too. You might want to look at some polymer offerings, such as the cz phantom. If you want to give a little more insight as to what you like/are looking for we might be able to give some more/better suggestions.

Guest bkelm18
Thanks I thought the same thing about the sig when I first held it. (maybe this is a little too big) All the CZ's that I have held have felt great. Thanks for the thoughts of the S&W's I have thought about those every time I have held or shot one I have liked them. Don't know why I didn't think of them but they always seem to slip my mind.

What about some of the smaller sig models anyone have thoughts on those.

At one time I carried a Sig P228, which is pretty much the same as a P229, and thought it to be a great piece. Just about the right size.

Honestly you will probably love either gun, but is going to be a different world carrying a larger gun and one with a metal frame too. You might want to look at some polymer offerings, such as the cz phantom. If you want to give a little more insight as to what you like/are looking for we might be able to give some more/better suggestions.

This is one of the things I am worried about. I am a tall guy 6'5" but thin. I weight in at about 200lbs. I tend to not wear baggy clothing. The Khar does a great job staying small, thin and unnoticed. Really the thing I like best about it.

But I don't like having to carry an extra magazine. As far as wants. I want it all obviously. :tough:

I would like 12-15 rds

Thinner the better (I have smaller hands for someone as big as I am)

doesnt have to be supper light weight or short barreled (doesn't have to be a compact)

I would like to enjoy shooting it.

RangeUSA in Memphis has a good selection of rentals and is only a short drive from Jackson. Handling several different pistols on the range is the best way to pick the one that is best for you.

+1. RangeUSA has a large selection of rental guns for you to compare. You simply pay a $10 rental fee and buy the ammo from them for that weapon. If you tried out four different guns all in .45 ACP, you would only have to buy one box of ammo (unless you just wanted more). The staff there is very friendly and they are also good about answering questions you might have. They are located on Whitten Rd off just off of I-40. It's probably just a little over 45 minutes from the 45 bypass.

Thanks, every CZ that I have held has felt good. The 75 is a little big but you are right it is pretty thin. It is on my list for sure. Now if I could just find someone in West TN that sold the dang things.

At one time I carried a Sig P228, which is pretty much the same as a P229, and thought it to be a great piece. Just about the right size.

I'll second the sig. I been carrying a P228 for a week or so now and really like it. Id say its smaller than a fullsize gun with a fullsize feel. Of course I went from a G22 to the M11 so weight dont really bother me much.

Of course I went from a G22 to the M11 so weight dont really bother me much.

I think there about the same weight. I couldn't imagine carrying a 226 or a 220 everyday, a duty weapon would be different. I understand being bored with the Kahr. I myself would like to try a CZ out.

Ok. So I am not really happy with my CW9 anymore which has been my EDC for a while now. So what should i get? I don't want a wheel gun and I have been interested in a CZ75 or sig p226. What you guys think?

The Sig P226 is awesome. I absolutely love mine. I will make one very good recommendation though for it. Buy the 22LR Beavertail model and then buy a Caliber X-Change kit to get the caliber you want as your EDC. Doing it this way gets you a .22LR conversion kit for cheap shooting and if you don't need it, you can sell the slide and magazine (because that's all that's in the kit anyway) to recoup some of the costs and the Caliber X-Change kits come with nightsights and 1 Magazine so you're only missing 1 Magazine from buying it new and you generally come out cheaper.

For instance, if I had done it for mine, I would have paid $402 for the gun and $250 for kit so a total of $652 + $30 for the FFL and background check to make $682. Instead, I paid $655 + $30 for the FFL and background check and $250 for the .22LR conversion kit for a total of $935. Big difference there of almost $300 bucks.

I wish I could find them for that price now. It would make my decision very easy.

Sorry...those are Sig's IOP prices for last years model without the E2 grips stock. The new prices are a bit higher on some pistols, lower on others and lower on rifles. If you're retired/active military, first responder (EMT, Fireman etc), or law enforcement, you can get them for pretty amazing prices vs retail.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Burgan

Sigs are very nice guns to shoot, but your right in the price is a little hard to pay (sometimes). If you are still looking at the CZ75 as a gun you should definetly consider it. Price wise they are on the cheaper end of the spectrum when compared to a Sig or Berreta. But they are not cheaply made at all. A little heavier than the Sigs (of comparable size) but the weight takes most of the recoil away. The CZ75 (any model variation) is definelty a underrated gun. Very few people even know about them, let alone seen one.

I hope you find the gun your looking for.