Welfare testing ?

Just occured to me today that we have a couple problems that could be solved together very easily.

We have a problem with lack of parental involvement in schools and we have too many people on welfare.

From what I have been told most of the people on welfare have kids and that is the reason we have to give it to them. You know it is for the children.

How about attaching a 3.0 gpa requirement to all kids on any type of govt assistance in order for their parents to get the checks ?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest friesepferd

there are lots of things i think we need to put in place to make sure that welfare only goes to the right people.

this is absolutely not one of them.

I think if you base someone's paycheck on how well their kid is doing in school, you would have some major problems. Not to mention that it simply has nothing to do with who should get welfare. I can make arguments for a lot of things - drug testing, etc, but not this. If anything relating to kids, it would be that people on welfare are required to get fixed after having one kid.

Personally I think the entire welfare system need to be turned upside down and completely redone as a work program, but thats just me. :)

So if the kids just stupid it needs to starve?

Many of these inner city kids already know they are going to prison; it’s just a matter of when and for how long. Because if they can’t get money to eat they are going to take yours; by force if necessary, or they are going to sell drugs. You can’t threaten them; they don’t fear you.

Jobs is what our communities need. Until we make a decision to make that happen our communities will continue to go downhill.

I think the entire welfare system need to be turned upside down and completely redone as a work program, but thats just me. :)

+1

After all it was meant as a temporary fix until those using it could find a job. It has turned into a sole source of income for generations of families. There should be a cap on lifetime benefits. If you chose to use your 3 years of benefits during the first 3 years of adulthood then they should not be entitled to any more. Prior to my injury I was never without work for more than a total of probably 18 months so 3 years should be plenty for most providing they are not lazy.

If nothing else make them answer phones for government offices. Have a rating system for their performance and have it directly related to their income. You do a crappy job and you get a partial welfare check. Do a great job and you get a full welfare check. The callers will rate the call immediately after. The percentage of bad calls will be the percentage of loss of the welfare check.

Or perhaps require companies that use foreign workers for call centers to use the welfare recipients and then the company pays back into the welfare system the same amount they would pay their foreign workers. That way at least the money is used to offset the costs of the welfare system.

For those physically able make them pick up trash or do some sort of community service.

Another benefit is once people have to actually work and realize that the welfare they are receiving is less than minimum wage they will hopefully go find a better job.

Welfare is nothing more than a way to control large segments of the population. The government promises the recipient just enough money to survive and in exchange they agree not to be successful in life.

I do not agree with putting a requirement on the children. Put the requirement on the parents but even then any loss of benefits is going to have a profound affect on the children. Not an easy fix when you take into account the children and how removing benefits are going to affect them.

Dolomite

Thanks for shipping our industry overseas.

Thanks for allowing urban sprawl to eat up our farms.

Thanks for the laws that closed our mines.

Thanks for making sure wages hold the line against inflation.

Thanks for the hormones in the meat and milk.

Thanks for....well...for nothing. It's what we got.

Thanks for shipping our industry overseas.

Thanks for allowing urban sprawl to eat up our farms.

Thanks for the laws that closed our mines.

Thanks for making sure wages hold the line against inflation.

Thanks for the hormones in the meat and milk.

Thanks for....well...for nothing. It's what we got.

Well gee, but we have iphones and ipads and ipods. :)

Many of these inner city kids already know they are going to prison; it’s just a matter of when and for how long. Because if they can’t get money to eat they are going to take yours; by force if necessary, or they are going to sell drugs. You can’t threaten them; they don’t fear you.

If you truly believe that then WHY would you support welfare at all ?

Sorry whenever I hear that all I can think is let them come , I'll put a bullet in their head and take care of the problem for good.

Guest Kamikaze

I have a plan for welfare. To receive your check you must report 5 days a week, 8 hours a day to a rock quarry and dig holes and break rocks. Have half at the quarry one week and half watching the others kids. Swap jobs every week. At least that would motivate them to get a real job. Sounds fool proof to me.

Guest friesepferd
I have a plan for welfare. To receive your check you must report 5 days a week, 8 hours a day to a rock quarry and dig holes and break rocks. Have half at the quarry one week and half watching the others kids. Swap jobs every week. At least that would motivate them to get a real job. Sounds fool proof to me.

exactly.

I don't care what they do, but I think to receive money from the government, you need to do something.

Not only to motivate them to get a real job, but also to teach them work ethic! Same thing with unemployment and dissability.

There are some people out there that really cant do anything, and I beleive they should be taken care of. But the large majority of people on dissability can do SOMETHING. Even if it is just answering some phones now and again. I know that most people on dissability can do most jobs out there though. Not all jobs require you to lift heavy objects.

but anyways, as I said, I am completely against 'welfare'. I am completely for 'job programs'. Make them do something. anything!

exactly.

I don't care what they do, but I think to receive money from the government, you need to do something.

Not only to motivate them to get a real job, but also to teach them work ethic! Same thing with unemployment and dissability.

There are some people out there that really cant do anything, and I beleive they should be taken care of. But the large majority of people on dissability can do SOMETHING. Even if it is just answering some phones now and again. I know that most people on dissability can do most jobs out there though. Not all jobs require you to lift heavy objects.

but anyways, as I said, I am completely against 'welfare'. I am completely for 'job programs'. Make them do something. anything!

I agree. All able bodied people should work for their money. I say mandatory community service cleaning streets, parks, lakes, and school grounds. Memphis and other cities could use more sanitation workers. Put them to work in cafeterias, community centers and senior centers. They can deliver meals to the elderly, clean hospitals and more. There should also be mandatory parenting and budget classes. Make them do something for the money. I hate giving money to people who are able to work. While we are at it the cops need to get all of those guys off of the street corners shaking people down for money everyday.

Make the cost of receiving welfare tougher and the problem will be solved. I am also for mandatory military service for all citizens, but you know that will never happen.

Edited by LINKS2K

Good idea. But what about all the "handicapped". I see so many damn blue cards these days it's rediculous. I'd have to be in a wheelchair before I'd even consider that route.

Guest 1817ak47

I have a neigher that has to drive there vehicle off the driveway and all through the yard in order to reduce there walking distance by about a whopping 20 ft. that person walks fine from what i have seen. at at oldest maybe 40 yrs old. oh and they have a hadicapped tag on the rearview mirror.

how about no vote if you are on welfare. drug testing if you are on welfare

Call them a ward of the state perhaps... Man y'all know we're beginning to describe some kind of scary dystopian future.

how about no vote if you are on welfare. drug testing if you are on welfare

Yep, how about if you are a contributing member of society you get to vote ?

Or better yet get rid of all the handouts including earned income tax credit and make EVERYONE have to pay at least $100 a year in federal taxes. Then it would be fine for everyone to vote.

Not everyone who has a handicap tag has an ailment that is outwardly visable. Some people have respiratory illnesses where 20 feet saved can make a huge difference in how they feel.

I am disabled because I was seriously injured in a helicopter accident overseas and my life will never be the same. I have a handicap placard and will likely maintain it. Most people couldn't guess but that is because on bad days I rarely leave the bed. But if I do I like to be able to save any steps I can.

With that being said I only use the handicap spots when I am having a bad day. Some days are better than others. On good days I will park in a regular spot and hobble my way into the store because some day I may not be able to make that walk. It is on my really bad days where every step saved makes a difference. It is only on those days that I will use the handicap spots.

I often wondered what a person's disability is or if they even need it. Then I realize that to most I have no outward problems either. There are those who have respiratory ailments that don't look disabled at all. So I generally don't specualte whether a person with a placard deserves it or not.

I agree that there are a lot of people out there who are "disabled" who shouldn't be. I know of several that were awarded disability status for stuff they shouldn't be. One lost 1/2 of his pinky to a table saw and is on full disability. Another is too fat to work (but sells drugs) and yet another said he got nervous when his boss watched him work (he does electrical work under the table). Some of these people work full time under the table and have for years.

It seems like everybody wants on the disabled bandwagon but if they were truly disabled they wouldn't want to be.

Dolomite

Oh and by the way.

I do not collect social security or any other government benefit.

Dolomite

There is definitely a place for disability. However, there's a guy down the street from me who is disabled who has been an active deer hunter for years and runs a private auto repair business. This is the stuff that pisses me off. There are definitely folks who deserve a finding of disability. But the fraud in the system is just insane. Like all government programs.

I am on day 5 of this bad episode of being able to hardly walk, staying in bed and unable to sleep. My wife has to help dress me, put my shoes on and help me walk. I went to town today just to get a break but have been in bed since returning home about 2 pm. The trip is probably going to cost me being able to do anything other than stay in bed this weekend.

Dolomite

I am on day 5 of this bad episode of being able to hardly walk, staying in bed and unable to sleep. My wife has to help dress me, put my shoes on and help me walk. I went to town today just to get a break but have been in bed since returning home about 2 pm. The trip is probably going to cost me being able to do anything other than stay in bed this weekend.

Dolomite

This totally sucks. Hang in there.