where to buy 6.5 carcano ammo????

Guest robinsonfam1

Guest robinsonfam1

I was just given a 1941 terni 19/38 carcano. I have found plenty of stripper clips online so will order them and single shoot till they come in. I cant find any ammo anywhere other than surplus and prvi. from what i understand the prvi is far from accurate since the bullet diamater is a bit small.

no i dont want to target shoot with norma. lol

any suggestions? anyone know a local shooter or shop that they can point me to? id love to shoot it this weekend.

thanks!

BR

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest coldblackwind

Try the murfreesboro gunshow, you might get lucky. Not a real common ammo to just go pick up at your local shop though, I'd be suprised if anyone stocked it on the shelves. I think shotgun county pawn in woodbury had a box or two a while back, but I'm betting it went with the carcano he had at the time.

I just got off the phone to Farnsworth`s in Vonore (423 884-6462) and they don`t have any mil surp but do have some modern production ammo@23.95 per box of 20 (ouch!) I can`t think of any outfit in K-town that has any in stock. Good Luck! Bucnball

Guest sqlightning
The Outpost Armory has had 6.5 Carcano in the past (Hornady, I think). Give them a call.

i don't think Hornady makes it anymore. I've been looking for some for my carcano.

I was just given a 1941 terni 19/38 carcano. I have found plenty of stripper clips online so will order them and single shoot till they come in. I cant find any ammo anywhere other than surplus and prvi. from what i understand the prvi is far from accurate since the bullet diamater is a bit small.

no i dont want to target shoot with norma. lol

any suggestions? anyone know a local shooter or shop that they can point me to? id love to shoot it this weekend.

thanks!

BR

I dug some out last night, and as best as I can measure without pulling a bullet, the Prvi, bullets measure .264" dia, which is the same as other brands. It is a lighter bullet than the Norma or surplus. I shot a few rounds of the Prvi a while back. As I remember, I got a decent group, but was either way high or way low without adjusting the sights. I'd suggest you get a box and try them. Reloading is definitely the way to go if you intend to shoot it regularly.

Guest robinsonfam1
LOL! I was "given" one as well. A box of ammo is worth more than the freaking gun!!!
When you decide you want to "give it" to someone else, you just let me know. :P

looking into this gun a bit more ive learned a couple things.

1. its a real "bring back". no import marks and the guy who gave it to me was a friend of the vet that brought it back. COOL!

2. i "think" it may be the "marksman" also. cant say COOL yet but i think it is and need to find the pic of what the marking looks like to compare.

took me over an hour to clean it. i dont think it had been cleaned since ww2. i could not get the bolt apart though. i think it is rusted/siezed together. hopefully with the CLP spray and some recoil it will break it loose.

if it doesnt shoot for nothing then it will be a wall hanger with a story. just wish the sling and bayo were not so dang expensive! jeesh! ammo aint cheap either. lol

I did find ammo by Hornady at a few placecs. $36 and up! i know i can order it almost half of that.

Today is a relic shoot at a bud's house. we have a few ppl bring all sorts of stuff. m98 mauser, MN pu! PSL, my new MN 91-30 that was never issued! and this carcano, plus a few others. i cant wait to make these ol critters go bang! i will report back after the shoot and update this thread.

thanks everyone!

...and when you shoot it, it'll become painfully obvious that Oswald could NOT have done what he was accused of with that rifle.

I was surprised when I stood in the book depository window in Dallas. It was

not a long shot(63 and 88 yards).I'm pretty confidant it would have been pretty easy pickings for me, so I would guess it would have been a cake walk for a Marine Corp Sharpshooter. Of course I am not factoring in the tremendous adrenalin rush that may have been in play taking a shot or three at the President of the United States.

Oswald shot Kennedy. Everything else is to sell movies, books, or for Internet arguments. :D

Guest robinsonfam1

yeaaahhh......im not even going to get on the LHO/Kennedy soap box. that subject is just proof that everyone has atleast one "elbow".

so i started to shoot after the storms finally past yesterday, not much time left. also had to shoot some of the others too. i got 4 shots at 100 yards in a pattern of about 8".

Not good. i do believe that part or most of it was my fault. Today im headed back out to run a few more down the pipe and see what we can do. this time i will shoot a couple at 25 yds then 100, lastly 200 to see exactly what the sights are rigged for. max range that i can shoot at this range is 250, wishing for about 4x that amount tho. lol

im not a big fan of the way the sights are fixed and so much compensation plays a role but like i said. if nothing else it will become a wall hanger with a story.

Guest midnitelamp

i've measured a bullet out of the western lot that LHO had,277 no problem there.

have'nt been to dallas people who have said you could have easily lobbed a water baloon from the 6th floor.

you do know oliver stones film was not a documentary?

Guest robinsonfam1

new update:

shot the carcano at 25: about 10" high and 2" right. 1" 3 shot group.

100 yards: about the same height, 7" right. 5 shot group about 2".

never got 200 yards. a bit dissapointing but at that range the grass in the field was just too tall to shoot through.

overall im happy with the performance. obviously i need to move the front sight over and will order the tool to do so.

Guest robinsonfam1
100 yards: about the same height, 7" right. 5 shot group about 2".

Wow!!! That's good shootin with those sights.

Thank you!

A hammer?

LMAO! maybe! from what i understand the same tool used for mosins will work for carcanos too. since this is all new territory for me then anyone with experience in that tool for the MN being used on carcano, would be greatly appreciated! if the tool wont work then yes, a hammer and punch will be called to duty!