Plum Crazy build AR15

JeffsSig

I have my Plum Crazy complete lowers in.

It have a very tight fit on the rear lug pin area. The front pin is about normal.

Love the plastic trigger and hammer. The pull has no grit and a short travel. It breaks rather clean. The buffer tube is normal AR stuff along with the buffer and spring.

The controls are all plastic. Mag release, fire control selector. The bolt catch is metal along with the pins.

This build came in just under 6 pounds. With UTG 2 piece 4 rail hand guard and a Yankee Hill gas block.

Ive not shot it yet but dry fire feels good. Balance is a touch off with the front end heavy but not enough to really bother anything.

And for price I came in just over 500$ (not counting the sights.)

;)

I need to edit.

The take-down and pivot PINS are plastic but the trigger pins are metal.

crazy1.jpg

crazy2.jpg

Edited by JeffsSig
Pins
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18
I think ill mill mine off ( billboard)

But then looks isn't all that counts.

True, but I'm anal. If I don't like how a certain part looks, I'm not satisfied with the entire thing at all, regardless of how it functions. :)

Guest Aces&8s

Looks great JeffsSig! I just ordered a DPMS Sportical upper to go on my Plum Crazy... it should come in right around 5.5 lbs, I think, without the red dot I have for it. And bkelm18, the company is in the process of changing over to "PCF manufacturing," and soon all of the lowers will bear that logo, rather than the "Plum Crazy" logo. Apparently there are some LE groups buying the lowers and they didn't want the Plum Crazy on there, either (cannot imagine why...).

Good to hear others have a good report on these.

I shot mine a few rounds today and it ran perfect.

I see no reason to not trust these lowers.

Oh I need to edit.

The take-down and pivot PINS are plastic but the trigger pins are metal.

Edited by JeffsSig
Guest Aces&8s
will standard mil spec fire controls fit in it?

Everything I have read says that you can replace the polymer FCG with any mil-spec FCG and it will function fine. The only thing the paperwork that comes with the lower says is that you cannot piece out parts of the proprietary group (ie., you cannot just add a standard hammer to the existing group without replacing the entire group).

Guest Aces&8s

My DPMS 5.56 Sportical upper was delivered today, so I put it together with my Plum Crazy lower this afternoon. It went together fine... fits like a glove, not too tight, but snug. Popped right in with just a little pressure from the heel of my hand. This thing is light as heck... I tried to weigh it on my bathroom scale, but it doesn't register anything under 10 lbs (digital scale). I am guessing it comes in just over 6 lbs with optic (cheapo red / green dot) and magazine. After a function check, I took it out to commence the barrel break-in procedure. A card included with the upper notes that DPMS wants you to clean after every shot for the first 25 rounds, then after each 10 rounds up to 100... seems excessive to me. Between sighting in the red dot and all that cleaning (umm, sure I cleaned after every single shot... honest), I only managed to get 25 rounds downrange before light started failing. It shot very well. I am pleased with the setup, so far. I love how light it is, and with the Federal .223 bulk box 55 gr. FMJ I was shooting, recoil was nearly non-existent. I think the lower should do fine with this caliber -- it sure doesn't seem like there is a lot of stress involved.

My DPMS 5.56 Sportical upper was delivered today, so I put it together with my Plum Crazy lower this afternoon. It went together fine... fits like a glove, not too tight, but snug. Popped right in with just a little pressure from the heel of my hand. This thing is light as heck... I tried to weigh it on my bathroom scale, but it doesn't register anything under 10 lbs (digital scale). I am guessing it comes in just over 6 lbs with optic (cheapo red / green dot) and magazine. After a function check, I took it out to commence the barrel break-in procedure. A card included with the upper notes that DPMS wants you to clean after every shot for the first 25 rounds, then after each 10 rounds up to 100... seems excessive to me. Between sighting in the red dot and all that cleaning (umm, sure I cleaned after every single shot... honest), I only managed to get 25 rounds downrange before light started failing. It shot very well. I am pleased with the setup, so far. I love how light it is, and with the Federal .223 bulk box 55 gr. FMJ I was shooting, recoil was nearly non-existent. I think the lower should do fine with this caliber -- it sure doesn't seem like there is a lot of stress involved.

This is exactly what I am wanting to build. Any chance we could get a picture?

Guest Aces&8s
This is exactly what I am wanting to build. Any chance we could get a picture?

Here are some pics I snapped a few minutes ago. As you can see, I took off the red dot (more like a red smudge) sight and put on a set of irons I got at Tri-Cities Gun Depot. I am going to try to shoot it some more this afternoon to get it sighted in again. I am going to look for a decent reflex sight to replace the cheap one I had on it.

Just a note: The 30-round metal mag I have does not drop free when the release is engaged, but the polymer 20-rounders do.

SAM_0105.jpg

SAM_0106.jpg

SAM_0109.jpg

SAM_0108.jpg

Edited by gtv
auto-correct is a harsh mistress