Gov. Rick Perry signs SB 321 (Parking Lot Bill)

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was talking to a person in Texas on the phone doing tech support( I am contracted to his company). He told me his company is not going to be very happy about this, but he knows several employees that go to the gun range at lunch time to shoot that will be very happy about this bill.

I still want a good solid parking lot bill here in TN.

• 4 weeks later...
I don't want a parking lot bill, I want a bill that declares the inside of one's motor vehicle the same as the inside of their home in regards to privacy/ property rights.

I understand a desire for this but I can see loopholes that could give an employee problems. First, I am not a lawyer so if there are any out there who can offer some insite to this, it would be appreciated.

Even if a law were passed giving you private property protections for your car that are the same as your house, it would STILL not prohibit an employer from including in an employment agreement a right to search your car. By accepting employment under those terms, you have given your employer the right to look in or search your car. And IF they also had a policy against weapons, you could be screwed. Sure, you could say, this is my car and you don't have a right to know what is in there but then they whip out that little old thing called your employment agreement and point out that little clause. Now regardless of what is in your car, you could be fired for violating the terms of your employment.

Also if your work for some place like I do where theft from customers shipments is a problem, all they would have to do is call law enforcement and when they show that you likely have stolen property in your vehicle, that is probable cause and hello, it is search time and when they find the gun, you're fired.

Also remember that Tennessee is an "Employment at Will" state. That means that an employer does not have to state a reason to fire you. This is a "catch-all" thing but the bottom line is, we need specific protections

I could go along with your idea BUT I still want a bill that says that I can have my weapon in my car while parked in my employers lot.