What do you suspect would happen, how long before the chaos?

Say a major catastrophy hits, a bomb, emp, large meteor, or whatever. Assuming it doesn't directly hit where you are how long do you think it will take for the chaos to start? Do you make a fall back plan before you travel with "worse case scenario" in mind? My thinking is that a large amount of the population will attempt to go about business as usual. My worry with traveling so much for work is that if something does happen I will be too far away to get back quickly and get to my family and gear. Depending on where I am going and how I get there I keep moderate supplies with me but always wonder in the back of my head if I could do more. Lately been thinking about keeping a cheap 22 and a box of ammo in the trunk with my other JIC's (water, pancho, tarp, bag, etc). What are your thoughts?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

I have less faith in American society. "Chaos" in my opinion would be immediate following a catastrophe. Look at Katrina. As soon as the storm cleared, the vermin came out.

Guest Aces&8s
I have less faith in American society. "Chaos" in my opinion would be immediate following a catastrophe. Look at Katrina. As soon as the storm cleared, the vermin came out.

I agree. And you don't even have to go back as far as Katrina... look at the Stanley Cup riots. OK, OK, so that was Canada... still, I think that there are people who are just looking for an excuse to go out in the streets to loot and burn. You give them a "real reason," such as a natural / man-made disaster, and chaos will ensue.

As soon as people can't go to Kroger or Wal Mart and get food mass hysteria will begin. If you don't have any food or water put back the grocery store better be your first stop in the event of a large scale natural disaster because once it's gone who knows how long it will take before things get back to normal.

I travel about 40 miles one way every day to work. I have often had similar thoughts. Worst case: I get my bag and start walking. I have enough food, water, and ammo to make it providing there are no major roadblocks. Recently I have made friends with like minded ideas who live on my way home. I think if the time came, aligning with these people would give each of us a better chance of making it home, and a possible place for me to re-stock and rest before my final trek.(I live the furthest out) Walking isn't the most appealing idea, but I do not want to get stuck in the city any longer than necessary... The hardest part is "feeling people out" to see if they agree with me, or think I'm crazy...

Everyone should have enough supplies to 'STAY HOME" for a month minimum. That means no food, no lights, no running water. After a month the dumbest of the dumb will have already rendered themselves extinct or at the least, be too weak to put up a good fight.

Guest bkelm18
Everyone should have enough supplies to 'STAY HOME" for a month minimum. That means no food, no lights, no running water. After a month the dumbest of the dumb will have already rendered themselves extinct or at the least, be too weak to put up a good fight.

In my case, a month of food and water isn't feasible. I live in a small apartment. I've got maybe a week of survival rations and could procure some water quickly if need be, but if the chaos lasts longer than a week, I'll be looking at options elsewhere.

Guest bkelm18
Don't wait till then to be looking for options. Make a friend, rent a storage building close by, Ideally, buy a plot of land somewhere you can get to without using main roads. Don't get caught with your pants down.

By looking at options I meant looking to see which of my plans will go into effect.

Guest JoeNashville

At the beginning of Katrina(We wereand still am in Nashville) a friend of mine called me from the gas station and said there was a 2 hour line to get gas. I said WTF! Why is there a line here... and why are you waiting in it?? He said the people are in line because of Katrina and I'm out of gas...

So I think about 5 minutes for chaos to start, no matter what and where the trigger event is. Lining up for gas seems to be the first thing people do now for some reason.

There are so many things that could trigger it, you have to ready for anything anytime it seems.