liquor store sign?

Guest cappy

Guest cappy

First off sorry if i'm in the wrong section but i had went by the liquor store on center point road with my mother in law the other day and seen this sign and was confused by it! Isen't it legal to carry where it is sold!? I know you cannot carry while consuming but this sign has some wheels turning.

post-7572-132850577464_thumb.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These signs used to be required by law and by the ABC. They warned of the consequences of violating TCA 39-17-1305, thing is 39-17-1305 has been repealed. The same law that repealed 39-17-1359 also removed the requirements from the law that these signs be posted. It seems the ABC has been lax in changing its regulations and have even instructed some places to post the sign back up after having removed it.

But these signs never prevented carry (like a 39-17-1359 sign) only warned of the consequences of illegal carry. Well know if you have a HCP and the place is not posted per 39-17-1359 there is no illegal carry in the place.

However I admit the signs are still confusing if seen. I keep hoping some state legislator will get on someone at the ABC and have places remove the signs....

Guest bkelm18
Doesnt look legal to me. I'd carry past it.

It's not legal because it's a relic of a law that no longer exists. As Fallguy said, it has nothing to do with HCP holders anymore.

Guest ArmaDeFuego

So far I've only ran into 1 place here in Clarksville that is legally posted (it has a gunbuster sign on both sets of doors you have to go through to get in.) I just avoid that place & I'm good to go around here. :D I've seen a couple other places with signs but they arent legally posted.

Guest tngw1500se

One of the stores in Oak Ridge has that sign up. I ask about it and they told me they had to have that sign up so I just don't go there anymore.

One of the stores in Oak Ridge has that sign up. I ask about it and they told me they had to have that sign up so I just don't go there anymore.

Why would you stop going there?

As has been said, that sign doesn't prevent carry....never did. Also has been said, it appears the ABC is still requiring places to post the sign, even though the law that required has been removed.

No reason to punish a place you would otherwise patronize because the ABC is doing something wrong.

I just can't believe someone with some power/authority hasn't got the ABC on track yet...

Red Lobster in Oak Ridge has the sign carved into a wood plaque on the front of the building. It looks sort of like a street number sign. To remove it would actually leave a hole in the siding in the bldg. I carry past it and have never said anything to them. I've seen it in other places also but my thinking is that if I tell them the sign is no longer valid they may decide to put one up that is valid. My policy is keep quite about it.

Red Lobster in Oak Ridge has the sign carved into a wood plaque on the front of the building. ...

You have normal business posting confused with the ABC sign. The sign under discussion is issued by the state (see pic in first post).

- OS

Red Lobster in Oak Ridge has the sign carved into a wood plaque on the front of the building. It looks sort of like a street number sign. To remove it would actually leave a hole in the siding in the bldg. I carry past it and have never said anything to them. I've seen it in other places also but my thinking is that if I tell them the sign is no longer valid they may decide to put one up that is valid. My policy is keep quite about it.

Good idea. I like it.