How many of you carry while at home?

Guest Bruce

Guest GregRN

I'm sorry. I never meant to turn the thread away from its original question. I just know that having a gun in reach while away from the kids is one good reason some people use for carrying at home. With some kids that is a necessity. I've made my choice, and it works for me and my family. When I find a weapon and carry system that is comfortable enough, I might carry at home. Until then I won't. And just for the record, I've tried to let my sons shoot my carry weapon with me supervising/holding. They can't pull the trigger (too heavy).

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GregRN, have you tried pocket carry? Since I got my Kahr PM9 I almost always have it in my pocket with an extra mag in my other pocket, I don't even know it is there, not does anyone else.

I carry if I am out of bed, the only place I don't carry is at work, against the policies, and of course anywhere that is off limits for carry, wouldn't want anyone to SEE me carrying where I am not supposed to.

Guest Hunter

I carry everywhere except bed. I have at least one pistol in each room and shotguns in the bedroom. I have 2 large labs for early warning. We used to live near Atlanta and after 2 attempted car jackings, 1 holdup by a knife in a Walmart parking lot and 1 holdup in the Bass Pro parking lot, we ARE a touch paranoid. So we move to wonderful TN.

Waverly is a bit quieter than Atlanta.

I drove down the streets in Atlanta, in Oakland City, where my grandmother and great grandparents lived several years ago. What was once a nice neighborhood now has burglar bars on every house. Those folks need to take their city back from the trash who now prey on the populace. First step is to eliminate welfare within the city limits.

Yes, I know that is a pipe dream.

Next best choice is indeed to just move away and let a once great city fester.

Guest bpdonaldduck

Short story to give incite to my opinion. YES!!! you need to carry even at home!!!

About 3 years ago my wife entered our home from the lower level and went up to the top floor and changed close. She heard a door downstairs and thought it was me and came down to meet me.

When she came down the first flight of stairs and turned into our kitchen and the man lunged at her and knocked her down. He then proceeded to beat her and then he took a knife and stabbed her 3 times. Evidently something startled him and he ran out down stairs and fled on foot.

He Has NEVER Been Caught! Actually our local police never looked for him. One of the detectives said "well if he would have killed her we might have looked a little harder"

If she would have been carrying when he lunged at her she would have only had a few seconds to react but it might have made the difference in what she received and justice.

It goes without saying that there is always a gun handy now to her and also any of our family members.

Even if you live where you think "Nothing ever Happens Where We Live" Please DO NOT get surprised. Your life is NEVER the same!!!

The end of the story is I hired a Private Investigator and he intern located the man. Unfortunately when the P.I. carried the information to the local detective who said "We Are Not Interested, This Case Is Closed As Far As We Are Concerned."

So we live each day prepared, you will not catch me or her without a pistol on us...

My wife and I live somewhat in the country and I keep a gun close by all the time but was wondering if any of you carry while inside your homes?

I told my wife I was thinking about it but she thinks I'm stupid, so I just wanted some of your all's imput.

I don’t carry, but I can put my hands on a loaded weapon anywhere in my house. (I don't have kids at home anymore)

Are you prepared for a home invasion? If someone kicked in your door could you arm yourself in time? Being prepared for that isn’t stupid.

Thanks for the imput , I've seen through-out some post that alot of you have safes and would like to know where I could get one if they don't cost to much.

Bruce

Most people have good safes for fire protection; they cost a lot. If you just need to secure weapons it can be done pretty cheap.

Short story to give incite to my opinion. YES!!! you need to carry even at home!!!

About 3 years ago my wife entered our home from the lower level and went up to the top floor and changed close. She heard a door downstairs and thought it was me and came down to meet me.

When she came down the first flight of stairs and turned into our kitchen and the man lunged at her and knocked her down. He then proceeded to beat her and then he took a knife and stabbed her 3 times. Evidently something startled him and he ran out down stairs and fled on foot.

He Has NEVER Been Caught! Actually our local police never looked for him. One of the detectives said "well if he would have killed her we might have looked a little harder"

If she would have been carrying when he lunged at her she would have only had a few seconds to react but it might have made the difference in what she received and justice.

It goes without saying that there is always a gun handy now to her and also any of our family members.

Even if you live where you think "Nothing ever Happens Where We Live" Please DO NOT get surprised. Your life is NEVER the same!!!

The end of the story is I hired a Private Investigator and he intern located the man. Unfortunately when the P.I. carried the information to the local detective who said "We Are Not Interested, This Case Is Closed As Far As We Are Concerned."

So we live each day prepared, you will not catch me or her without a pistol on us...

I'm so glad that your wife is alright and this didn't turn out worse than it did!

You are absolutely right, no matter where you live and how secure you think you are......you just never know when something like this can happen. We should ALWAYS be ready to defend ourselves and our family from predators.

I'm also very glad to hear that now you and your wife both carry, even at home.

I hope everyone that thinks carrying at home is unnecessary or stupid thinks twice after reading your story.

Guest db99wj

Holy crap dude,

One of the detectives said "well if he would have killed her we might have looked a little harder"
ummm, heelllllllll nooo. I would be talking to their capt., if that didn't work, I would go to the DA, if that didn't work I would go to the mayor, the newspaper, the tv news, the whoever it takes to get something done. That answer is not acceptable and no one should have to put up with that.

What else is there to the story, what else did they say? I'm at a lost on why they would not investigate a brutal stabbing and say what they said...it is unbelievable.

Guest db99wj

Holy crap dude,

One of the detectives said "well if he would have killed her we might have looked a little harder"
ummm, heelllllllll nooo. I would be talking to their capt., if that didn't work, I would go to the DA, if that didn't work I would go to the mayor, the newspaper, the tv news, the whoever it takes to get something done. That answer is not acceptable and no one should have to put up with that.

What else is there to the story, what else did they say? I'm at a lost on why they would not investigate a brutal stabbing and say what they said...it is unbelievable.

Guest db99wj
That occurred to me too, but if someone stabbed my wife I wouldn't quit until they were under the jail.

Exactly the point of my post. this lady was vicousily attacked and stabbed three times. She is lucky to be alive. I would not rest until justice has been served. I am not sure how I would react to person charged with protecting and serving saying "well if he would have killed her we might have looked a little harder".

This is very hard to believe.

Guest TNDixieGirl
Exactly the point of my post. this lady was vicousily attacked and stabbed three times. She is lucky to be alive. I would not rest until justice has been served. I am not sure how I would react to person charged with protecting and serving saying "well if he would have killed her we might have looked a little harder".

This is very hard to believe.

dca6om.jpg

Yesterday, in broad daylight, a thug kicked in the door of a neighbor of mine. No one was at home but they were able to get in and get out with some jewelry.

My wife heard the dogs barking and then the alarm go off. The kids were asleep so she could not go "investigate" with out leaving the yard. She did see the next door neighbor head over and she grabbed her .38 and went and "covered" him from the children's play ground. The police did not show for over 20 minutes. Well after the alarm had stopped sounding.

The one good thing about this is that my wife is now convinced to get her carry permit. She is going to have one on or near her at all times in the house. Probably the .38 since she is most comfortable with it and the trigger is heavy enough that little darlings would have a hard time pulling it before she could get it away from them if they managed to get it away from her.

Also, I started carrying even more to some places that I previously wouldn't have. Still not where prohibited by law, I just don't go to those places anymore.

Guest Boomhower
That occurred to me too, but if someone stabbed my wife I wouldn't quit until they were under the jail.

Under that jail would be too good for this man.

Guest mark1970

I don't have my permit for Tennessee yet, but when I lived in Utah and had my permit I carried my G26 while at home. Now I admit that I didn't live in the best part of town, but it was close to work and cheap. Also, wearing it while at home meant I didn't forget it when I went on errands. That was a problem when I first started to carry.

Guest ibavol

Actually, I can reach my weapon while typing this. Our house has three levels and there is a pistol on each level. While I'm out in the yard, there is one in the SUV. The boys are grown and out of the house, so no problems with that. They were educated and trained on safe handling of pistols, rifles and shotguns at an early age and both have their permits now. The wife is getting her permit and already knows how to operate each one that is always loaded.

We live out in the country and one thing I feel strongly about is having an outside dog. They are great for giving me advance warning if there is a "guest" approaching, but that is for another topic...