Red Dot Sight

I want to get a red dot sight just for some fun. I may put it either on my SKS or the shotgun, but does anybody have one that can vouch for the brand? I have noticed on ebay that TruGlo has a "cheapie" for 69.99. Then, other brands have what appears to be the exact same thing, just without the logo, for cheaper. Any opinions?

This is the TruGlo...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220803607009&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_1774wt_905

And this is the UAG...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370520707403&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_10626wt_1139

Is there anything different I am missing or are you just paying for the logo?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have tru glo window on my .22 target pistol. The switch wore out an they had me a new one swapped for the bad one inside a week, no questions asked. Good service for a cheap sight that I bought to see if I liked the red dots. I would buy their stuff again. It took a lot of use to wear out the switch, 2-3 uses a week on that gun for nearly a year.

I have a center point tube on my 12 ga shotgun, it came on it. Works great. No recoil problems, its been shot hundreds of times.

Everything wears out eventually. If you buy a good cheap one, you'll probably get your money out of it. Check the reviews on the Midway site. If it's a POS, you can usually find out there. Aimpoint has a 10 year warranty, but they're not cheap.

I wondered about if red dots wore out or not.

Its electronics under physical stress. Its just a matter of time, really, for the switch, or recoil, or heat, or rain, or whatever to kill one. You should get years of normal service from one, and the warrenty should back that up.

for the ar platform i recommend Aimpoint, the batteries last forever. I can leave mine on for 3 years straight without worrying (the $400 Aimpoint P.R.O.) not to mention the warranty and i've never heard of problems about aimpoints unlike eotech... (all my military and department friends use eotech, most not by choice)

for the ar platform i recommend Aimpoint, the batteries last forever. I can leave mine on for 3 years straight without worrying (the $400 Aimpoint P.R.O.) not to mention the warranty and i've never heard of problems about aimpoints unlike eotech... (all my military and department friends use eotech, most not by choice)

I like the sight picture a lot better on the Eotech. I agree that the Aimpoint is probably more reliable. Can't beat the battery life either.

We sell about even numbers of the Mueller Reflex and the Vortex Sparc. On a home defense type setup I would probably lean towards a compact tube red dot over a reflex but that's just personal preference. We have about ~6 of these total in use within our shop and we really like them. We have them both on AR-15's, AR pistols, Buckmarks, etc. We sell quite a few on both and both hold up well to any recoil. The Primary Arms sights also seem like a good value from what I've seen, but I've never used one. The only downside is the warranty length of time on the PA items, but it sounds like they're generally well backed by the company.

I use Burris Fast Fire II on both my turkey rigs and would NEVER use anything else. They handle the high recoil of all my turkey loads and have never failed. They run $200 to $250 depending on which mount you need. They are great red dots for the money.

Gun2.jpg

I use Burris Fast Fire II on both my turkey rigs and would NEVER use anything else. They handle the high recoil of all my turkey loads and have never failed. They run $200 to $250 depending on which mount you need. They are great red dots for the money.

Gun2.jpg

Got any more pics of it?

I have used Aimpoint M68's on both my military issue and personal weapons. You can usually find them used for around $250, which is what I paid for my last two. I have never had an issue with any of them, except for dead batteries, which was my fault for not checking them.

I have used the Eo-Tech. I do not like it as it seems to be too "busy", as I like the single dot instead of the ring/dot of the Eo-Tech. That being said I think that a Eo-Tech would be nice for a shotgun with the 65 MOA ring, but that's just me. The AA model Eo-Tech I have never had a reliability problem with. The "N" models I would run away from. I have had to deal with four of them acting up where they would lose contact somehow with the battery and would no longer turn on.

As far as the primary arms red dots I have one of the small micro type models on a MP-5 clone that has been very accurate and reliable, more so than the weapon it is on.

Got any more pics of it?

Here's something even better, a review. This is from the optics section of the turkey forum I am a member on. This guy does a pretty comprehensive review of the Burris FF and also compares it to the Mueller. Burris Optics is also a member on this forum and they STAND behind this product. Let me know if you would like more pics beyond the review. Mine has a metal protector around it. Good Luck.

Old Gobbler - Turkey Hunting Forum Board for Turkey Hunting Tips, Turkey Calls & Call makers, turkey guns, free classifieds and much more