How tough is the finish?

jay1313g

I'm in the market for a 1911 and I have a specific one I want although it seems to be hard to find.

It is a Springfield Armory Loaded Champion in a Bi-Tone finish of olive and black.

My question is how durable is the olive finish on this frame? Does it scratch off easily?

This gun won't be a safe queen but, I don't want it to scratch up too quickly.

Thanks,

Jay

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All gun finishes are designed to provide protection from sweat, corrosive conditions ,abrasions and other incidental events. Any finish can be compromised by accident or improper storage (like storing a blued steel pistol in a leather holster). You may have a problem finding a model or style is because there are literally hundreds of models in the market place and the better ones command a premium price . See if you can find a used one with a blemish or two you can temporarily tolerate until can afford a powder coating or whatever you prefer (as you know, all new guns depreciate in value because until they are sold they are on the dealers inventory and part of his or her profit helps them finance their building,utilities,display cases, licenses and permits employee wages, insurance and unsold inventory .) Happy Hunting !

• 4 months later...

Bumping this thread to see if anyone has experience with the bi-tone Springfield EMP's or Loaded 1911's. Any issues with the finish? 99% sure my next one is going to be a SA Loaded 1911. I really love the bi-tone but if there are any issues with the finish I can certainly handle the SS model.

Gun would rarely be carried.

Thanks in advance!