• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest gcrookston

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNews/2008/02/29/4884675-ap.html

U.S. military declares war on feral pigs

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

digg_off.gifemail_off.gifprint_off.gifwrite_off.gifinvisible.gif

invisible.gif

FORT BENNING, Ga. - Major Bobby Toon is known as the Pig Czar at Fort Benning, Georgia.

He's in charge of ridding the 75,000-hectare base of its unwanted guests: an estimated 6,000 feral pigs that roam freely.

The animals, common throughout Georgia, are known for tearing up woodlands and farms. They are aggressive foragers, gobbling up native vegetation and endangered species.

Toon says "These pigs feed and breed. That's all they care about."

Since July, more than 900 pigs have been killed and Toon says he has personally "brought down" 68 of the animals. He says they "can smell a turkey egg three miles away" and are also a danger to tortoises and woodpeckers."

He's not the only pig hunter at work. About 2,000 people have been authorized to hunt the animals and the base is offering a $40 bounty for every pig tail that's brought in. Hunters must be active-duty, retired military or civilian workers at Benning and must have a licence from the base.

Ft. Rucker, AL has the very same problem with feral pigs. They can be hunted year round on post.

I did my part the last time I was stationed there. It was during those walk-abouts looking for pigs that I became a member of the "Cult of .41 Mag." :D

Guest db99wj
Ft. Rucker, AL has the very same problem with feral pigs. They can be hunted year round on post.

I did my part the last time I was stationed there. It was during those walk-abouts looking for pigs that I became a member of the "Cult of .41 Mag." :D

One of the better National Guard summer camps was spent at Fort Rucker. Only problem was that there is a left handed curve that either borders or splits the golf course (can't remember) but it is pretty sharp curve and if you have enough speed, with an un baffled tanker truck full of JP8 and it starts sloshing, you can get the trailers wheels off the ground.......I wasn't driving, I was in the passenger seat, but I about had to cut the seat off my butt from the pucker factor!:D

They got a bunch of amadillo's too down there.

The pigs in Germany are big as cars, I was field artillery, we would wait until a herd wondered into the live fire range and send 6 HE rounds their way, BBQ baby:rock: Round HE charge 8 white bag, the next best thing to being there.