.22 1911's? help!!

Guest 556or762

Guest 556or762

I am in the market for a .22 1911 I have looked at the Chiappa, GSG, Sig and another one I cant remember because it was not memorable. I am looking for some input on the GSG and the Sig, I dont like the arched backstrap on the Sig but if it can be changed then that might work as for the GSG it seemed ok but again a 20lpi straight backstrap would be my preference. I am looking for some real world input from those that own or have put some decent round count thru one or each of them to see what you as the people of this great armed nation think will make me happy (other than another gun:cool:) so please help!!!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lester Weevils

I got a Metroarms American Classic II .45 1911 and an Advantage Arms .22 slide with the intention of leaving it a dedicated .22 most/all the time.

That is more expensive but it is a good-shooting pistol as best I can tell. And it also shoots pretty good as a .45 and can be turned back into a .45 in a couple of minutes any time one feels like it.

Buy a Ruger 22/45 and don;t look back. It will outlast any of those already mentioned. I have one that has close to 20K rounds though it now and I have not had to replace a single item.

Dolomite

I have a 22/45 also and I have to agree with Dolomite. I have taught many to shoot with it.

Guest 556or762

Thanks to all I went back to the store looking again today I am going to either get a conversion or a GSG I want to stick with a 1911 fits the same holsters etc. I already have and handles Identically the 22/45 ruger is nice but it just doesnt handle like a 1911 and I want to use this for cheap practice and I shoot mainly 1911's thanks again for all replys.

I have the Chiappa 1911-22. I picked it up on here cheap. Keep the feed ramp polished and it runs great. I never though i could but I perfer it over my Ruger Mark I. The mags are a polymer but are not as cheaply built as they appear.

Guest 556or762

Well I got the GSG 1911, .22 last wed. I looked around and found one for $325 new. I got it home and changed the mainspring housing to a straight 20pli checkered Kimber housing, put somo ergo grip panels on it and a little grip tape on the front strap. I put about 400rds thru it trying different ammo I found it like 40gn CCI mini mag the best I had 0 issues with this ammo the 36 gn CCI had 2 failures, the federal bulk ammo had 4 and the remington had 4. I actually took it to AL to the Ruger Rimfire Challenge this sat. and it performed very well I had 0 issues all day and I was shooting it as fast as I could make it go. I do have tgo apologize for no pics I took a couple but htey were very blurry so Ill try to get some good ones loaded this week all i all a great buy for a good feeling 22 and if you havent done the rimfire challenge it is a blast. I guess thats all for now.

IMG_1249.jpg

I love my GSG! It has a good trigger, is fairly accurate, and is less expensive than most conversion kits. I've shot several hundred rounds through it now with no problems, and I haven't took it apart and cleaned it yet. For the money, I don't see how you'd beat one.

Guest tymekeeper

I also have a Colt Sevice Model Ace, as well as a Colt conversion unit on a finely-tuned Colt series 70 frame. Neither are easy to find these days, and the magazines are not common either. Both pistols are a delight to shoot.....and over time the conversion has proven to be the more accurate one. They handle most .22 ammo with few problems; virtually no duds with CCI or Federal match, and just a few with most others. Bulk Remington seems the worst.