Grabblin...anyone?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've done it in the Buffalo River. Most of the time we would set out wood traps (almost like cages) that had an entrance and at the top would have a place to stick your hand in on the top. Only thing is someone would have to use their foot or hand to block the side entrance. I have stuck my hand in a muddy hole under the river bank and pulled me some catfish out. I was always nervous but some of my buddy's, it wouldn't even bother them.

Just pray you don't find a snapping turtle.

Unless, like this guy, you are grabbling for snapping turtles:

I think I recall seeing something on local TV - maybe an episode of The Heartland Series, I'm not sure - where folks somewhere in Tennessee were grabbling for snapping turtles.

I also recall seeing (maybe on YouTube) a clip about catfish grabblers. One guy said you need to have a partner you can trust to help you get a really big catfish into the boat, etc. or you just might end up getting drowned if you latch onto a big one.

Me, I don't like catfish all that much to begin with and certainly not enough to literally risk life and limb to catch them.

Edited by JAB

We use a hook about 6' long made out of an old box spring with a #16 nail welded and sharpened for a barb and a loop turned on the back end so you always know whick way the hook is pointing. I too have tried the Buffalo but most of our success has been on the Harpeth. You ought to see the look on the faces of the canoe renting public when you come busting up out of waist deep water with a 30 pound yellow cat in a bear hug hahahah. note a 30 pounder will yeild about 7 GALLONS of wonderful filets.

Guest GunTroll

I'm sorry but the saying of "don't knock it till you try it" doesn't work for me here! I'd think you would have to be a born southerner and be half way through a case of Keystone light to even attempt. Like others have said, my hand ain't going anywhere that I can't see first. Smell test exempt of course.

Yeah back in the 60's we used to go [ hogging is what we called it] in the obion river. Cotton mouth snakes would occasionally come after you but the current would usually carry them downstream.Only legal in 4 states,Tn. Miss. La. and oklahoma.Young and dumb back then always wondered how I've survived this long. A lot of good memories.

Regularly!

11noodling.jpg

11noodling2.jpg

noodlin2.jpg

noodlin3.jpg

noodlin4.jpg

slapfish.jpg

Unfortunately, season's over for another year. You get about 4 weeks from the end of May, through June & that's it for the year.

If you want the real scoop, send a PM to 'Spurhunter' He's the MAN when it comes to Noodlin' He guides clients on grapplingtrips all through June.

I'm sorry but the saying of "don't knock it till you try it" doesn't work for me here! I'd think you would have to be a born southerner and be half way through a case of Keystone light to even attempt. Like others have said, my hand ain't going anywhere that I can't see first. Smell test exempt of course.

Hey, I am a born southerner (and proud of it) and my stomach wouldn't hold enough beer to make me try that. Hell, even a quart of the best 'shine I've ever had wouldn't get me to do that.

Guest GunTroll
Hey, I am a born southerner (and proud of it) and my stomach wouldn't hold enough beer to make me try that. Hell, even a quart of the best 'shine I've ever had wouldn't get me to do that.

;) me either.

You guys gona let a bunch of GIRLs out do you Bhaaaahahahaha

‪Girls Fearless Catfish Noodling - 72 pounds! w Manny Puig‬‏ - YouTube

Yep. Gladly.

"Hey, wade out there and catch me some dinner, woman!"

I am aquaphobic. That means I have a somewhat irrational fear of water. I have no desire to be in water higher than about my waist or so.

I also have a quite rational fear of sticking my arm in places I can't see, when I have no idea what might be in there, in the HOPES that a really big fish will get pissed off and bite me.

Edited by JAB