BTW, problem with my Mosin Nagant Bolt

vontar

BTW, problem with my Mosin Nagant Bolt

Wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

I took my Mosin Nagant to the range last weekend for the first time I only got to shoot it a few time. It feeds well, however and bare with me, after firing a round it is very difficult to work the bolt up to to the point I had to hit is with the open palm of my hand several times to get it open.

The shells are NOT getting hung in the bore. It is not having a problem resetting the hammer I though of that at the range and even pulled the hammer back which did not help. Later I even put a spent round in the chamber and had equal trouble ejecting it.

At this point I figure I need to disassemble the bolt. That is the only part of my Mosin I have not taken apart I think I better have someone that knows what they are doing help me with that part.

If there is no round in the chamber the bolt works fine, slightly tight but from what everyone has told me, Mosin's are so I expect it is about normal. Maybe it should be a little more free. I suspect it is not grabbing the shells correctly but that is just a guess.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Youtube mosin nagant sticky bolt, steel cased surp ammo is lacquer coated and that's the root of the problem, youtube user iraqveteran8888 did a series on fixing up mosins and the first segment deals with sticky bolt

Edited by jonlisha

I don't think it is the ammo. I am watching this video

‪Mosin Nagant Bolt - Take down‬‏ - YouTube

on the bolt.

I just took the bolt apart and I found on the face of the bolt the emtpy rounds are not matching up very well with a small part that was stuck, a small clip. The clip is now Moving more free after a bit of cleaing..

Now just to get this bolt back together. almost got it, however. I don't have the very end back right. so far one part after I set it, is loose which tells me I don't have it in the right spot so have do so the last part over. But I am close.

Scatch that, Bolt is back together.

out of the gun, the empty rounds are not going up to the bolt better then they did last weekend when I took it apart or an hour ago. Going to chamber an empty and see. I just might have it out at the range again this weekend.

Edited by vontar
I don't think it is the ammo. I am watching this video

‪Mosin Nagant Bolt - Take down‬‏ - YouTube

on the bolt.

I just took the bolt apart and I found on the face of the bolt the emtpy rounds are not matching up very well with a small part that was stuck, a small clip. The clip is now Moving more free after a bit of cleaing..

Now just to get this bolt back together. almost got it, however. I don't have the very end back right. so far one part after I set it, is loose which tells me I don't have it in the right spot so have do so the last part over. But I am close.

If you can't get it back together with any of the YouTube vids, let me know. Ill try to get some close up shots of mine. Don't forget to use the gauge to check the firing pin.

I disassembled mine and soaked it in mineral spirits. A little brushing in the chamber and a clean bolt should solve your sticky bolt problem.

Guest coldblackwind

Is russian gun, it requires real MAN to fire. If you complain about sticky bolt, you are not manly enough for mosin. (Best russian accent).

I have....5 mosins? M38, M44, M39 (that one may not), 91/30 hex, MO double-dated 91/30. They all do that, don't know why, don't care. Just palm it and it opens right up and goes bang again. I have a russian tokarev too and it takes some muscle to rack the slide if you don't pull the hammer back first. I won't let you shoot it if you can't pull the slide back yourself, the tokarev must be EARNED!

Coldblackwind, somehow I bet my 1932 hex is a bit harder to rack in the next round.

Matter of fact, if all Mosins were this tough, I now know why they had those bayonets as standard equipment. Fire one shot and charge.

I think the guys over on the pistol range thought I was shooting a muzzleloader, except I was too close and not smoking up the place.

I am going to get this sorted out.

Edited by vontar

You may think the Cosmoline is gone, but after you shoot a few rounds it gets hot enough to seep out. That's most often the cause of "sticky bolt" syndrome in these rifles.

I used a bore brush attached to my drill to clean the last bit from the chamber when this happened on my first Mosin. Saw that on a surplus rifle forum somewhere. I was sure I had it thoroughly cleaned, but I still had the sticky bolt, and therefore cosmoline.

Eventually, you will shoot it all out... but that may take awhile and a sticky bolt strips a lot of fun out of these rifles.

Edited by extremescene
This man speaks with wisdom! :)

Get'cha a 2x4 to beat it into submission. Every nagant should come with one in that little pouch!

termites ate them or we would have received one.

Right now, I can not get it to lock the bolt with a spent round. Remove the round and it closes correctly. (these are rounds I shot last Saturday). A co worker suggested it might be the brand of ammo I got and is going to bring me a few spent rounds of some other brands to see, but I think it is something with my bolt.

I have went from loading to having problems ejecting to now having a loading problem.

Right now I have the barrel separated from the wood I have used a drill, brush and made sure the bore is nice and clean for the next time I do go to the range. the inside of the barrel has been cleaned numberous times. Probably the cleanest barrel I have at the moment(today).

I am slowly but surely learning to take the bolt apart and clean it. My bolt has a little visual rust.

Part of the problem was the little catch that grabs the round was stuck, I freed it today. It was causing the rounds to not match up to the face of the bolt correctly I believe.

EDIT EDIT

change to another spent round it worked, hard, had to hit the bolt with my hand but it closed and openned. Keep in mine, no firing to heat up anything.

Edited by vontar

a used cartridge, even a steel cartridge is going to be a little expanded and therefore harder to cycle into the chamber. DUH!

Try sticking a live round in it.

I don't know what ammo you are using but I never heard of a Mosin to be picky about ammo as far as function.

You have the stereotypical sticky bolt. It is no big deal.

How clean the borel is has jack squat to do with it. And the bolt itself does not cause the problem. Clean the chamber, man up and shoot the gun. It will get better over time.

a used cartridge, even a steel cartridge is going to be a little expanded and therefore harder to cycle into the chamber. DUH!

Try sticking a live round in it.

I don't know what ammo you are using but I never heard of a Mosin to be picky about ammo as far as function.

You have the stereotypical sticky bolt. It is no big deal.

How clean the borel is has jack squat to do with it. And the bolt itself does not cause the problem. Clean the chamber, man up and shoot the gun. It will get better over time.

Idk my mosin can chamber spent rounds just fine, I think that thing needs a drill and brass brush all over it

The only reason I was going on about the bore was for those that think there might still be cosmo still in there. I believe this issue is with the bolt.

I will probably had out to Norris again tomorrow. Hoping what I have done does not leave me with one stuck in the chamber.

Mike if you are out there, would be happy to let you see for yourself.

At this point, I am comfortable taking apart the bolt. I have had it completely apart checking it out. (yes I do know how to check and set the firing pin).

Edited by vontar

I just have not had a chance to get back to the range. Sunday I had a headache from hell and been busy after work. I am itching to try it again now that I have had the bolt completely apart and cleaned.

well here is my range report after the cleaning.

I was at Norris late Friday.

First couple rounds it was pretty smooth, then as it got hot, it was harder to open. Problem solved on the spot by cocking it and then working the bolt. (note this was not helpful the last time at the range) During the clean I had found the clip on the face of the bolt that grabs the shells was sticking, which is not free.

I am considering doing a spring job on the firing pin, considering if I screw up, I can replace the spring for only 8 dollars.

I have recleaned it and I might take it back to Norris tomorrow.

However I was able to put 20 rounds though it which was far better then the first range trip so I am much happier, plus I know more about my gun.

Edited by vontar