Broken S&W 1911PD

jay1313g

Just over a week ago, I visited my local gun shop and found myself in a tough decision between a new Kimber Pro Carry in stainless or a barely used S&W 1911PD. I really liked the S&W and I had always read good things about them so I made the choice and the S&W 1911PD came home with me.

I finally got to the range today and after just 30 rounds, I was trying to engage the safety and it wouldn't go all the way up. I looked at it and the plunger tube has broken off the frame. (Sheared the 2 pins holding it on.) I really liked how it shot for those 30 rounds but, now it will go back to S&W for repair. At least they will pay for the shipping so I do feel better about that.

It's hard not to think I should have went wih the NEW Kimber although it could have broken the same part or any other one.

Arrrrrrgggggghhhhhhh!!!!! :)

Jay

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stand corrected regarding my comments above. Apparently Ruger's new SR-1911 has an integrally cast plunger tube. Although I know this has been done before, I can't recall who (brand) did it and I applaud Ruger's effort to fix this.

• 3 weeks later...

Hats off to S&W. I dropped the 1911PD off at FedEx on July 20th and it was back at my door on the 1st of August. Not a bad turn around!

I've yet to shoot it but, was impressed with how easy it was to get it repaired. In the meantime, I received my OS/PRO holster from HBE Leatherworks. This is my second OS/PRO and they are GREAT holsters.

Jay

I wouldn't fret to much over the plunger tube problem, it's not uncommon at all and is one of those "bread and Butter" type of repair job's for gunsmith's. FWIW I believe that the S&W was a good selection and that you will enjoy it.

Guest 556or762

I have the 4in 1911PD I carry it almost every day and havent had any issues yet I love the way it shoots and its light for a 1911, Im glad to hear S&W fixed it without question. On another note I also have a Kimber and I have had issues with it ( it is 10 years old though oh well) I Had to replace my barrel link and Ive changed springs twice and changed the spring rate to one it likes better. I have to say of all my 1911's I have had very few issues and I have tried 4 manufacturers all in all it is an excellent reliable platform in my book, good luck with the PD.