Social Security Disability attorney in Knoxville?

Needing someone to recommend an attorney for me. Don't really want to call the ones on television unless someone can recommend them personally.

My initial application from my helicopter accident has been denied. Doctors say I am permanently and totally disabled with no hope of getting any better than I am right now, only going to get worse. My doctors even recommend I file.

So if anyone can recommend a good attorney I would like to call them.

Dolomite

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really sure.

I guess not working for over 3 years, being unable to drive, having problems walking, falling, pissing all over myself as well as having to rely on others to bath and get dressed wasn't bad enough. Or maybe having to use crutches for the rest of my life wasn't enough either. The doctor wanted me to use a walker but I told him I would never use it at my age.

I will be appealing but I need to find a decent attorney before I start the process.

Dolomite

I believe it's SOP for a denial on your first application. I understand that the whole system is set up for the appeals process. Probably some sort of "no attorney left behind" works project.

Hang in there and don't give up.

Guest PapaB

Sorry I don't know one there, mine is in Nashville area. Expect to get denied again and then have a hearing. Will probably take you until after the 2012 elections. Just hang in there, I'm sure you'll persevere.

• Admin Team
Sorry I don't know one there, mine is in Nashville area. Expect to get denied again and then have a hearing. Will probably take you until after the 2012 elections. Just hang in there, I'm sure you'll persevere.

This should be criminal.

Guest lostpass

I'd stay away from those TV guys, lots of times they just farm it out to another firm. Can't help you more than that, no personal experience with SS disability locally.

Getting denied the first couple times is standard. A lot of it, however crazy sounding, is just to see if you are a real claim or just someone with LTH syndrome and want to file. This system use to help weed out the bottom feeders but they're a lot more dedicated now than they use to be.

Guest nysos

I would stay away from lawyers on billboards and on tv, generally the ones that advertise the most are the ones you want to stay away from. Before you go see anyone, research their name. Do some google fu, find out if they have any reviews from clients, some organizations do some awards and ranking of lawyers/firms in the area, may want to look to see if they have gotten anything like that.

My fiance works at the McKeller firm here in Knoxville, she just started about a month ago as a paralegal. I am not sure if they have any experience with social security disability but I am sure you could give them a call and ask. They have a website too if you want to read any info on them (helpingclients.com).

This should be criminal.
It should be, but as has been already mentioned, it's SOP. I wish that were a joke, but it's literally their policy. I got to see it firsthand when my Dad finally broke down and filed. SSA will not take your application seriously until you've gone through the trouble and expense of hiring an attorney, and the process can take YEARS. The only saving grace is that, once you're finally approved, you're entitled to benefits retroactive to the date of your initial filing, which means a big lump-sum payment (less attorney fees) before the monthly checks start coming.
  • Admin Team
It should be, but as has been already mentioned, it's SOP. I wish that were a joke, but it's literally their policy. I got to see it firsthand when my Dad finally broke down and filed. SSA will not take your application seriously until you've gone through the trouble and expense of hiring an attorney, and the process can take YEARS. The only saving grace is that, once you're finally approved, you're entitled to benefits retroactive to the date of your initial filing, which means a big lump-sum payment (less attorney fees) before the monthly checks start coming.

It's ridiculous! I wonder how much money is wasted on this?

I know the answer to this question, but how hard is it to hire competent people and expect them to get it right the first time? I have no doubt that there are a lot of claims that need to be denied. But, to make it standard policy to deny everyone just to weed out the fakers is morally wrong. I know you won't always get it exactly right, but having to go through the appeals process should be the exception, not the norm.

If this was a private company as opposed to a government entity, there would be Congressional hearings into how they were screwing people, and people would likely go to jail.

Do the job you we hired you to do, and get it right the first time. How tough is that?

[/sOAPBOX]

Sorry to hear about your situation. I don't really know of a lawyer. One of my sister-laws went to lawyer Edgar Buchanan, and wouldn't take her case because he said there wasn't enough money in it for HIM. I wll see who she finally got, and let you know.

I faced the same siutation as you July 30,2003. After being turned down, my ex employer got me a law firm in Maryland. After being turned down twice more, I was tested at an industrial facility to see if I was able to do any kind of work. Was told I could not do any kind of work at all. a letter was sent to SS. Turned down again. Humanresources called and asked why, because the letter said I was not able to work at all. Their reply, What letter? Two days later, in January 2006,I recieved check for short term disability, and then a month a later recieved a check for long term disabllity. Had to give the law firm 10% and then pay back the company insurace, because I didn't pay for my insurance. After that, not much left.

I was told later by my ex employer that they were told a nurse, NOT a doctor decides who does and doesn't get approved.

A nurse knows more than a doctor??????

Sorry to ramble on. I hope this gives you a clear picture of how our so called government works. Bunch of idiots, they are.

Guest Lester Weevils

Surprisingly even with SS disability so difficult to get, some malingerers manage to get thru. But they must work really hard to get that far.

It seems "always been that way". Dunno about the current situation but it was that way when I was doing social work in early 1970's.

I remember one man, a little past middle age, with (at the time medically untreatable) incredibly high blood pressure. He was a walking stroke waiting to happen. He had been working a foundry his whole life carrying big iron castings and he looked like Charles Atlas, which probably didn't help his claim, even though the doctors said he ought not be doing much physical activity and wasn't qualified to do much else.

My retroactive pay will hit the cap which is like $6,100. That is the most they can legally charge even if their 33% is higher than the $6,100 amount. I have had long conversations with SS folks and in my case the retroactive date will go back to the original injury date which is well over 3 years now.

I have been having some bad times recently. Fell pretty bad a few nights ago, nothing broke but walking with crutches is pretty painful in my wrist now.

I ran into town today and will spend the next 2-3 days in bed because of it.

Dolomite

Guest Lester Weevils

Dolomite, maybe this is a dead end but maybe it wouldn't waste too much time to contact these foks just to see if they can help out--

LAET - Home

They stay real busy and don't handle every kind of case. Their typical cases are often so po, you may be considered too "wealthy" to qualify. But if they could help you out, it wouldn't cost so much. Maybe.

It's ridiculous! I wonder how much money is wasted on this?

I know the answer to this question, but how hard is it to hire competent people and expect them to get it right the first time? I have no doubt that there are a lot of claims that need to be denied. But, to make it standard policy to deny everyone just to weed out the fakers is morally wrong. I know you won't always get it exactly right, but having to go through the appeals process should be the exception, not the norm.

If this was a private company as opposed to a government entity, there would be Congressional hearings into how they were screwing people, and people would likely go to jail.

Do the job you we hired you to do, and get it right the first time. How tough is that?

[/sOAPBOX]

Ah, but how much money is saved on folks who either give up or pass away before they ever receive a dime of the money to which they should have been entitled? We all know by now that SS is the world's biggest Ponzi scheme, and there is less money in the "locked box" than has been paid in. It actually behooves the powers-that-be to deny benefits for as long as possible in order to save money overall based on actuarial formulas, lest the general public realize that the money is not there and begin to question where all those involuntary contributions have been going for God knows how long. In this case, appearing merely incompetent is better than the alternative...
  • Admin Team
Ah, but how much money is saved on folks who either give up or pass away before they ever receive a dime of the money to which they should have been entitled? We all know by now that SS is the world's biggest Ponzi scheme, and there is less money in the "locked box" than has been paid in. It actually behooves the powers-that-be to deny benefits for as long as possible in order to save money overall based on actuarial formulas, lest the general public realize that the money is not there and begin to question where all those involuntary contributions have been going for God knows how long. In this case, appearing merely incompetent is better than the alternative...

Yeah, refer back to my original comment on this needing to be criminal.

How about this for term limit reform? You can serve for more than two terms if your constituents will elect you. But, if you serve more than two terms, when you leave, you report to the nearest Federal penitentary to begin serving your mandatory sentence for corruption...

Guest Lester Weevils

Speaking of term limits, lately I've been wondering if a 2 term limit for president is too long?

As soon as a president is re-elected he becomes a lame duck, with four years to go.

Was trying to recall a post-WWII president who did such a fabulous job in his second term that nobody in the USA could have done it any better?

Maybe so. Maybe I'm missing sterling examples, but don't second terms usually turn out rather lackluster?