Who got you started in hunting and fishing?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My grandfathers took me squirrel hunting and fishing. My stepfather got me into deer hunting and bass fishing. My mom fishes. My dad fishes some. All my friends and family hunted and fished. I never imagined there were people that didn't hunt and fish. I was shocked when I joined the army and had classmates that had never fired a gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

I grew up at a time when just about everyone had guns, carried guns and hunted. My dad was a hunter and during hunting season his buddies were in and out of the business all the time. Always someone who would take the kid hunting.

Guest Anadais

My Daddy. I am the oldest of his three daughters and the only "tomboy" of the group.

Dad taught me everything I know about hunting, fishing, and cars. It was how we bonded :rolleyes:

My father taught me to shoot when I was very young. He was not a hunter but I had the bug at an early age. My dad owned a service station and always employed some high shcool boys to pump gas. They were always taking me squirrel hunting to brown nose the boss. When I was 14 my brother decided to take up deer hunting(1979) they were not quite so plentiful at that time but he took me and when I saw my first deer from a stand that WE built I was hooked for life. I managed to squarely miss three different deer with a borrowed Sweet 16 smoothbore and decided I needed a rifle. One of my neighbors had a .30-.30 and said he would sell it to me if it was ok with my parents so at 15 I pumped alot of gas and washed alot of windshields to pay for a Marlin 336T that put a bunch of western KY deer in the freezer before moving to Tennesse and after. I am so thankful that I grew up with opportunities to pursue my dreams of hunting. When I saw my first wild turkey in the woods I was hooked all over again LOL.

It still has a stranglehold on my life and there is NO known cure.

My dad and papaw use to take me fishing all the time and they also taught me how to shoot, but neither of them were hunters. I started hunting on my own when I was about 20, and now I have finally talked my dad into hunting with me, so its time for him to learn for his boy. This will be his third year hunting, and its funny he ask more questions than my 4 year old daughter, but we still have a blast.

Fished a lot with dad but hardly any hunting, doves a few times, and once where we didnt get anything. Still do not know enough about hunting to go it alone, but working thru the training materials and all this year on my own, hoping to go within the next year.

My dad always went hunting and fishing and when I was olding enough I alway wanted to go. I remember I took me deer hunting with him when I was 8. Then when I was 10 I took the TN safety course.

He brought me a .270 when I was 10 and a .22

He let me keep the .22 in my room, I was a big boy, I love telling people today that when I was 10 I had my old gun and it freaks them out.

Guest Appalachian

I had a hand me down daisy bb gun gave to me by my uncle when I was about 7 or 8 years old (what I wouldnt give to have that gun back) so I guess it's all his fault.

Guest GunTroll

My Dads best friend took me hunting for the first time when I was like 10-ish. We hunted Doves in SC. It wasn't till I was 18 and found myself living in western WY that my piers got me seriously into hunting all sorts of big game. My father in law got me into turkeys not all that long ago 5 or six years now?? Many contributors really.

I now have two boys and hope to enjoy experiences with both of them afield.

Teaching your children to hunt, and watching them harvest their first game is something you'll never forget!

My stepdad taught me and I remember harvesting my first deer with him. Unfortunately he was in a bad car accident and now he doesn't remember it. It will be a blessing to share a memory with any little hunter.

I forgot to mention the wonderful instructors at the NCO Academy, Fort Richardson, Alaska that took a young corporal under their wing and taught me the magical art of salmon fishing. Without a doubt the most fun I have ever had with my clothes on.

I forgot to mention the wonderful instructors at the NCO Academy, Fort Richardson, Alaska that took a young corporal under their wing and taught me the magical art of salmon fishing. Without a doubt the most fun I have ever had with my clothes on.

You mean you wear clothes when you salmon fish? Sheezzz.....what's the world coming to.....

You mean you wear clothes when you salmon fish? Sheezzz.....what's the world coming to.....

Sheezzz... It was ALASKA! We are talking sever shrinkage. :D Besides, it's just not safe to wade naked in water filled with sharp-toothed King Salmon.

Guest lostpass

This made me think, who did get me fishing. Not my Dad, he was a good father but didn't care about that stuff. My Grandpa took me when I was little but didn't really get me fining.

What really got me fishing was other kids. In the olden times we'd have a flash mob of kids. Only we called them a group. Anyway these kids got turned out to the hard cruel world every day in the summer. We had freaking nothing to do except exchange cuss words. That got stale pretty fast so we'd wander down to a pond and fish. Then play baseball. Then eat dinner and play kick the can. Once dark truly set in we'd fill sweat socks up with sand and toss them at streetlights. Not to break the street lights but in hope that a bat would mistake the sock for a light grab it and then, hey, pet bat.

We weren't smart kids and never caught a bat.

I don't hunk you can do that with kids anymore, just let them run wild. Poke a swollen dead cow with a stick and live with the aftermath of the explosion but when I was a kid that was how we rolled. And that is how I learned to fish. When we moved to Florida, it was on like donkey kong. All we did was fish.