Fifth Sunday IDPA-lite Shoot For TGO Members

Since March has 5 Sundays and Volunteer Pistol Club only shoots the 2nd and 4th I figured it might be a good time to have a TGO IDPA-style shoot. A number of people have expressed interest in trying the sport and Volunteer has some nice folks who will be happy to help.

I asked the president of the club and he was supportive.

So if you've never shot this sport before but want to try, come on. The only requirement is that you can operate a gun safely. If the only gun you have is a .22, bring it. Stages will be challenging but not overwhelming, the point is to have fun. 4 stages and I figured on $10 to shoot.

We are gauging interest here so please respond either here or via PM if interested. Starts at 1PM in Brush Creek, which is between I40 and Alexandria, about 1hr from Nashville.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GUTTERbOY

I've been interested in checking out IDPA as well, so I'm definitely interested in this. Just as long as no one laughs at my lack of marksmanship skills. :D

Guest darkstar

So never having done this before what would you reccomend for ammo? How much to bring, etc. Besides knowing how to operate a firearm safely what else does one need? Any kind of IDPA 101 for dummies info out there?

So never having done this before what would you reccomend for ammo? How much to bring, etc. Besides knowing how to operate a firearm safely what else does one need? Any kind of IDPA 101 for dummies info out there?

Equipment is pretty basic:

-Pistol. IDPA rules are 9mm or .38 or larger. Must fit in a box with some dimension I forget but if you're likely to carry it, even as a duty gun, its OK. No Deagles in .50AE please. Revolvers, anything up to 6 shots and 4" barrel.

-Magazines. You'll need 3 clips. You can use high cap mags but only load 10 in them. For CDP (that is, 1911s in .45acp or other 45s, e.g. SIG P220) mag capacity is limited to 8. Revolvers, you'll need 2 speedloaders (or more).

-Ammo. Whatever shoots. There is some power floor but you can safely ignore it for a club match. We will likely shoot 4 stages. IDPA max is 18 rounds per stage so do the math and add a little for do-overs. 2 boxes (100 rds) ought to be fine.

-Holster. This has been contentious. For a club match, anything that you would normally wear.

And thats general through IDPA phlosophy: if you would use it on the street in every day life, then its OK for IDPA.

-Cover garment. Vest, jacket, anything that covers the gun in the holster.

-Eye protection. 'Nuff said.

-Ear protection. Ditto.

And thats it.

But as I said, this match is just to introduce people to IDPA so whatever you've got, bring it. If you're like Brycoman and all you've got is a Jennings in .380, bring it. We'll work around that.

Rabby,

I'm glad you will let me shoot the .380, a terribly misunderstood cartridge. I've been working up some "Keith" style loads with Titegroup that has gotten me some impressive velocity. It's taken some good size boar. I call it my boar bore bullet. I think this load has real "stopping power" for SD. Well, I'll try to make it out to the shoot, gotta go get some J.B. Weld and some WD-40 to tune up old "Bry." It's a real tack driver.

Cant wait to see the Bry in action. I am thinking of ordering some of their new "Tactical Drivers" series for the shop. Fit and finish are not to be believed, so I hear.

Sorry, I let mine, um, "expire." Yeah, that's it.

I will bring my NRA card and IDPA card and throw myself on your tender mercies. If that fails, I'll get Dunndw to pay for me.

Make sure to bring your membership card in the Republican Party. Otherwise the cost to shoot goes to $50.:wave:
Sorry, I let mine, um, "expire." Yeah, that's it.

I will bring my NRA card and IDPA card and throw myself on your tender mercies. If that fails, I'll get Dunndw to pay for me.

They let Democrats in the NRA and IDPA? What is this world coming to??

A buddy of mine (Johnny Ringo on TGO) says he'll be there.

I need one or two more people to commit to make this happen.

Please step up to the plate.