First Time Gun Owner Checking In!

I just purchased my first gun ever. I got a Springfield XD40. I got the gun for home protection and for a range gun. I live in Nashville and hope to expand my collection over time. Right now I am just trying to deal with calming the wife down about the whole situation. ;)

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest RobThatsMe

Welcome. Is the wife upset about spending the money, or the fact that you now have a gun?

It may help if you take her to the range and try shooting as well. Afterall, it would be best if you both knew how to handle the firearm.

The 40 may be a little much for her, if so, rent a smaller caliber that will be easy for her to handle and let her get used to shooting.

Rob

She is more upset about the gun. She is pregnant and immediately started saying the baby will somehow get the gun. This was after I had it loaded in my night stand the first night I had it. I understand she is worried. I am going to take a safety class, shoot my gun at the range as much as possible, and get a safe to keep it in while I am not around. Then once she is ready I am going to teach her about it and get her comfortable with it.

Welcome! My wife was fairly anti gun when I met her. After a bit I made her come with me to shoot (at the time it was just my back yard so it was no hassle). Now, I can't make enough ammo to keep up with her and she outshoots me most of the time. I will let the other parents give you tips on keeping small hands off a pistol; my parents solved this for me by having a rifle until I was old enough to know better, too heavy to pick up and too long to shoot myself and I was too scared of a serious butt beating if I got near it anyway ;) A small child cannot easily rack a slide, heck a lot of grownups barely can, so that is one way to handle it for the very, very young. That will earn you some initial peace.... hand it to your wife, let her rack it, and remind her how weak a child in comparison, and tell her you will have additional safety measures as the child gets bigger. Oh, and 'grats on future fatherhood!