Over priced firearms

tercel89

I dont know exactly what the MSRP is for a Glock 34 , but for a gun shop to have one for $699 seems to be just stupid. I am not usually one to post this, but good Lord , where did that price come from ?

But that is just my opinion . I am not gonna say which shop it is but I just cant believe that price ! :D

Any of you in Middle TN will probably know which one this is . I know that this shop is really known for over-pricing but DAMN!!!! Just DAMN!!!! That is one dollar from being $700 ! And to add to that , if you bought that and add Tn tax and a $10 background check fee , it is $777.15 HOLY MOSES!!!! For a Glock pistol !

Edited by tercel89
adding information
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bet I can name that shop in one letter. U.
No , I just walked out after seeing the prices . They have a great selection , a BIG selection , but the prices are just unreal .

Ohh you went up the street and hung a left and then a right, yeah?

No , I just walked out after seeing the prices . They have a great selection , a BIG selection , but the prices are just unreal .

Most shops have room for negotiating. It doesn't hurt to ask. The worst they can say is no.

I have never understood the "offended" reaction to a listed price. Or for that matter a low ball offer. I have been on both sides of the counter and it boggles my mind. Is it just an aversion to discussing money? or just unfamiliar ground?

Always ask for a better price, you have nothing to lose and money to save.

Mike

Guest nysos

Most plastic pistols I can't really justify paying more than $500 new for one. The exception being H&K, and there is only one model that holds my interest (and I still would not want to pay more than $600 for it) - the rest shoot good, but not good enough for me to justify spending the cash for one. For me, $500 new is still a stretch. Maybe that is why I have almost sworn off new & used sales from shops, and am strictly private party sales. I will still look, but I don't plan on buying unless it is an actual deal that I find (ie. mis-pricing at a corporate chain like gander mountain).

Don't talk to me about bad prices until you come see the prices here in Orlando

I'm shocked honestly. I've been to 2 stores already and both had horrible prices. New Ruger 10/22 selling for $369. New Glock 19's for $580. Ruger LCR for almost $500. Back in Knoxville you can find LCR's for $380 at the gun shows and I saw a 10/22 for $200 before I left town.

Guest nysos
Most shops have room for negotiating. It doesn't hurt to ask. The worst they can say is no.

I have never understood the "offended" reaction to a listed price. Or for that matter a low ball offer. I have been on both sides of the counter and it boggles my mind. Is it just an aversion to discussing money? or just unfamiliar ground?

Always ask for a better price, you have nothing to lose and money to save.

Mike

Most shops do have room for negotiation, but our market is not one that revolves around bargaining like other countries. I don't see how certain shops ,like gun stores, are an exception. Sure you can run your business how you want, but my logic is they are probably going to make more by the additional sales they get if they price the gun right from the start, and remove all the haggling. Used sales? sure, haggle all you want on a trade or buying a used gun - but for a new priced gun, whats the point?

There is no difference in a new or used gun. Both have margins and it's up to the shop to decide how much they want to make on a particular item. If they don't want to negotiate that's fine, it's how they chose to operate. But if you don't at least ask you wont ever know.

Mike

I don't haggle. I think it's stupid. Tell me what you want. If it's too high, I walk.

I actually had a guy at the I24 expo center (those were some great shows!!!) try to start an argument over it. I asked him how much he wanted for an Egyptian Helwan and he quoted me some ridiculous price, and I said no thanks and walked away. He actually said as I walked away, I needed to learn a lesson in bargaining. Insulted I told him he needed to learn how to be a salesman, not a gouging crook.

I absolutely hate that turkish bazaar haggling crap.

I don't haggle. I think it's stupid. Tell me what you want. If it's too high, I walk.

I actually had a guy at the I24 expo center (those were some great shows!!!) try to start an argument over it. I asked him how much he wanted for an Egyptian Helwan and he quoted me some ridiculous price, and I said no thanks and walked away. He actually said as I walked away, I needed to learn a lesson in bargaining. Insulted I told him he needed to learn how to be a salesman, not a gouging crook.

You sir , are exactly like me . I agree with that 100% . Tell me what you want the first time. If I dont like it , I walk .

Guest nysos

That is my logic for a retail establishment. Save the buyer & the seller some time.

Did you pay asking price for your car too?

Yes , It was used and I am a mechanic and knew it was a good deal so I bought it . That is how I got my user name "Tercel89"

I bought a used 1989 Toyota Tercel for $4,000 back in 1993 with 50,000 miles on her . It is still going strong with over 300,000 miles on it . And has the same clutch and burns no oil .

In my experience, in any shop that overprices their firearms to that degree, bargaining is a waste of time. Their "bargain" price will end up being higher than I am willing to pay. Also, when I see prices like that, I immediately know that the seller is more interested in profit than honest sales because they are willing to actually take that much from an unsuspecting buyer.

On the note about taking offense to low-ball offers, I am one of those people. If I am asking a reasonable price for a firearm when compared to the market, don't waste my time with an offer that's less than half of what I am asking. In my experience, the folks who make offers like that aren't willing to actually pay anything close to what I would accept and are hoping to take advantage of a desperate or unsuspecting seller. For instance, I offered up a LNIB Springfield xdm a few months back and gave my asking price OBO. I got one offer for $150 and another from a different buyer for $200. Really? Don't waste my time. I tried to "haggle" with both and one wouldn't budge trying to justify the offer and the other kept trying to renegotiate by offering up a bunch of used holsters and gun parts after I said cash only. Neither was serious about negoitiating a reasonable price.

That's my take on this topic anyways.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk