GOP debate this evening in Iowa. Any comments?

This was one of the most depressing birthdays I have had. I was talking to some people at work today about who they are going to support now that Pawlenty has exited the race. Everyone of them said that they are now supporting Perry. Out of curiosity, I asked them what they liked about him, and how did they feel about his policies. None of them could tell me anything about him, outside of being the Governor of Texas, nor could they tell anything about his stance on key issues. The best I got was they had seen him on tv or heard some commentator talk about him.

To make matters worse, I spoke to some old friends this evening via a chatroom, and they are all on the Perry bandwagon. The way they talk about him and defend him you would think it was the advent of the Messiah. The sad thing was everything that was being discussed about Perry were not on substantive issues. When I was listening to people talk about him, the only thing that came to mind was the zombie-speak "Brrrrrrrrains."

It was really depressing to see so many people become enraptured over a candidate because he held a prayer breakfast or saw a positive review from a media personality. It seems that it is almost too much trouble for some people to think own their own and do a little bit a research on a candidate before making a decision.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was one of the most depressing birthdays I have had. I was talking to some people at work today about who they are going to support now that Pawlenty has exited the race. Everyone of them said that they are now supporting Perry. Out of curiosity, I asked them what they liked about him, and how did they feel about his policies. None of them could tell me anything about him, outside of being the Governor of Texas, nor could they tell anything about his stance on key issues. The best I got was they had seen him on tv or heard some commentator talk about him.

To make matters worse, I spoke to some old friends this evening via a chatroom, and they are all on the Perry bandwagon. The way they talk about him and defend him you would think it was the advent of the Messiah. The sad thing was everything that was being discussed about Perry were not on substantive issues. When I was listening to people talk about him, the only thing that came to mind was the zombie-speak "Brrrrrrrrains."

It was really depressing to see so many people become enraptured over a candidate because he held a prayer breakfast or saw a positive review from a media personality. It seems that it is almost too much trouble for some people to think own their own and do a little bit a research on a candidate before making a decision.

Been saying that for years. People got strange priorities.

Happy belated Birthday!

• 4 weeks later...
Another debate tonight, CNN 13 at 7pm. So called "Tea Party Debate"? Maybe they'll actually have some intelligent questions?

Bizarre how they're hosting these. "Tea Party" and "CNN" just don't jibe.

Neither did "Republican Debate" "Reagan Library" and "MSNBC" for the last one.

- OS

Bizarre how they're hosting these. "Tea Party" and "CNN" just don't jibe.

Neither did "Republican Debate" "Reagan Library" and "MSNBC" for the last one.

- OS

I agree. I thought it was rather odd.

I did not watch the MSNBC debate, but I will watch the CNN debate.

I enjoyed the debate as well. It was very informative. A few points:

I do not like Cain's 9/9/9 proposal. I do not want a national sales tax along with a federal income tax. Give me one or the other, but not both. Other than that, I thought he did well, but it was all more of the same.

I now have a candidate whom I loathe, and it is Sucktorum. I was quite livid when Sucktorum mischaracterized Paul's foreign policy. Telling Paul that he should be ashamed, and he should stop parroting bin Laden was deplorable. It reminded me of Giuliani taking those same cheap shots in the 2008 debates. It was unfortunate that Paul did not do himself any favors by responding more coherently. I thought his retort was somewhat weak and rambling. It is a good thing there are more debates in the future.

I don't think he will get the nomination, but he will still get my vote in the primary.

Cains 999 plan combines features of both the Flat Tax and Fair Tax proposals. A Phase II part of his plan would slowly introduce and implement the Fair Tax plan, which he has always supported. This would eliminate the IRS, no payroll tax, no corporate tax, just a national sales tax.

I think eliminating the IRS will be just as tough as reforming SS. I hope it can be done but I'm skeptical. Any major changes will all depend on the majority's in the legislative branch.

I also hate hearing the bashing of candidates but that's part of the process, no ones perfect and each of them want look better than the other. Huntsman looked real bad with his smartass comments.

Herman Cain was the only one who stood out from the rest.