Preparation Meetup?

Sounds excellent. I've got a decent background dealing with radiation (protection/decon/detection/etc). So if that would be something that people would be interested in I could try and scrounge up a lesson or something. I'd have to find my books first.

Oh God! LMAO! Remind me to tell you some time how I damn near lost my new Sergeant stripes back in '83 because I told an "evaluator" during a field exercise at Fort Sill, Ok. exactly what I, personally, would do in the event of a nuclear attack.:):)

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So who all is actually camping Friday night? Gonna be awful awkward if I'm the only one that shows up. Haha.

Tell ya what B Man, if you commit to do it, I will too even if we're the only two, just to call the bluff on all these dang get together threads in this forum that have fizzled. It will be our small triumph. :)

Course, I ain't camping as much as I'm just sleeping in the SHTF Van. Room for two iffen you get too cold, sailor. :) :)

- OS

Guest bkelm18
Tell ya what B Man, if you commit to do it, I will too even if we're the only two, just to call the bluff on all these dang get together threads in this forum that have fizzled. It will be our small triumph. :)

Course, I ain't camping as much as I'm just sleeping in the SHTF Van. Room for two iffen you get too cold, sailor. :):D

- OS

It's only queer on the pier. :P Barring some unforeseen circumstance, I will be there. I will sleep in my own provisions though. :)

Oh God! LMAO! Remind me to tell you some time how I damn near lost my new Sergeant stripes back in '83 because I told an "evaluator" during a field exercise at Fort Sill, Ok. exactly what I, personally, would do in the event of a nuclear attack.:):)

Pretty much what we'd all likely do in this radius from Oak Ridge, unless it's done extremely tactically with low yield.

- OS

Guest bkelm18
Pretty much what we'd all likely do in this radius from Oak Ridge, unless it's done extremely tactically with low yield.

- OS

Pretty much. If the blast doesn't get ya, getting cooked by zoomies is pretty much a one-way street.

- OS

Pretty much... :hat:

Oh, and as I've mentioned ad infinitum, ad nauseum: Don't know yet how it'll work for me, but I'm going to do my darnedest to be out there Friday just so's you fellers won't get all lonely and stuff... ('Sides, you might need someone to laugh at and I'm pretty damn laughable sometimes.) :biglol:

...TS...

Edited by Timestepper
Pretty much... :)

Oh, and as I've mentioned ad infinitum, ad nauseum: Don't know yet how it'll work for me, but I'm going to do my darnedest to be out there Friday just so's you fellers won't get all lonely and stuff... ('Sides, you might need someone to laugh at and I'm pretty damn laughable sometimes.) :D

...TS...

Yeah, well... Okay, so much for that! :-\

Looks like I will indeed be home in time to get a little stuff together and make it out Friday EXCEPT that lady luck has once again hoisted her skirts, dropped her bloomers and pissed all over me. This time in the form of the furnace shooting craps this week. Since I admittedly don't know a damn thing about electric furnaces, I figured it probably wouldn't affect my coming out... until I talked about the cost of repairs with my wife and found out just how far in the toilet we actually are financially.

Long and short of it is that, rather than use gas I suddenly can't afford to replace, I'll be staying home trying to figure out what, if anything, I can sell to at least make a down payment on a new heating system.

Sorry guys. I was really, REALLY looking forward to this! :) In fact, I think I kinda' needed it - just to get away for a bit. (And please excuse the whining - I'm pretty bummed out right about now.)

On the other hand, as I mentioned in a pm to JohnnyFox the other night, another member (jwolf4) and I are planning on getting together at my place on Saturday the 10th to basically walk up the ridge or down on the creek or somewhere so I can show him pretty much the same stuff I was going to do tomorrow night and Saturday. If anyone else is interested in tagging along, you're more than welcome to show up. Won't be much in the way of shooting opportunities, but I don't reckon it'll be a total bust.

Again, my apologies for cancelling, but sometimes life just sucks. :D:lol:

...TS...

People are dropping like flies. Haha. Ok, so it's me, OS, and BBSweets for the campout, then a small handful showing up on Saturday?

I think we need reconfirmation from Mr. Sweets that he's coming Fri night? Mainly because I'm not too comfy about plopping down on someone's turf I don't even know without an intermediate there. And thing is, iffen I ain't gonna wake up there, probably won't make effort to get up early and drive 30 mi either.

Sending PMs to you and BBS with phone number and etc.

Btw, I know just where the place is, used to deliver paint ball stuff to the house up on the hill once in a while, and sadly ran over a giant dog on Panther Creek Road near there. Yes it was a dog, not a panther.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest bkelm18
I think we need reconfirmation from Mr. Sweets that he's coming Fri night? Mainly because I'm not too comfy about plopping down on someone's turf I don't even know without an intermediate there. And thing is, iffen I ain't gonna wake up there, probably won't make effort to get early and drive 30 mi either.

- OS

Yeah, I'd like to get a confirmation from him before I drive the 50mi.

I think we need reconfirmation from Mr. Sweets that he's coming Fri night? Mainly because I'm not too comfy about plopping down on someone's turf I don't even know without an intermediate there. And thing is, iffen I ain't gonna wake up there, probably won't make effort to get up early and drive 30 mi either.

Btw, I know just where the place is, used to deliver paint ball stuff to the house up on the hill once in a while, and sadly ran over a giant dog on Panther Creek Road near there. Yes it was a dog, not a panther.

- OS

Comes down to it, I'm just off the Clinton highway above Bull Run Creek (between Powell and Clinton, in Claxton Community). I know the owner quite well because I married her. I guess actually we could do as much shooting as we wanted, although the terrain where we'd be shooting is very uneven (basically, we'd be shooting from one slope of the front holler into the other slope).

I'm not trying to steal Mr. Sweet's event(s) - this weekend probably wouldn't be the best timing anyway, but there's nothing in the rules that says we couldn't do it some other time - I already mentioned what jwolf4 and I are planning for next weekend. And it sounds like our place is probably considerably closer than Sevierville, at least for a few of us (it'd be a 34 mile drive for me).

True, we're not very remote. True, you can hear the cars from the Clinton hwy, but we can do anything there that we can do anywhere else including survival classes, camping out or sleeping in the shtf van. And like I said, I KNOW the owner(s) quite well. Oh, and if someone wanted to do something on water survival, Bull Run Creek is only a quarter mile or so from the bottom of our driveway and easily accessed.

Just a thought...

...TS...

Guest bkelm18

- OS

Coulda been the elusive dog-panther.

Coulda been the elusive dog-panther.

Ah yes, Canis Puma. Not seen nearly as often as the more common Tennessee painter, which mostly seems to be black anymore (even though not one black cougar has ever been documented anywhere in its previous or present range from Canada to South America). But hey, everybody sees them, right?

Well, I tell ya, bout ready to bag this thing if there's no confirmation by midnight or so from BBS. Though my social calendar stays pretty light these days, I still like to firm up my appearances at least a day in advance.

- OS

Guest bkelm18

Well, I tell ya, bout ready to bag this thing if there's no confirmation by midnight or so from BBS. Though my social calendar stays pretty light these days, I still like to firm up my appearances at least a day in advance.

- OS

Yeah I was thinking along the same lines.

Jesus people, I leave you guys alone for one day and someone steals the event and everyone else all but throws in the towel! lol

I AM CAMPING FRIDAY NIGHT! Alone now maybe, but I'll be there! The owner wanted to come down but might be working. I have total permission to build fires, shelters, practice whatever and shoot guns. It's low car accessable, won't cost anything but gas and time, and can be found by everyone. I have a few other people outside of the forums that might swing by so it could be a decent turnout if all that can make it, do.

Been putting together the last of the guidelines. Figured I'd discuss it with those that show up Fri and see how things play out Saturday since nothing ever follows the plan. All is for certain we'll just practice what we know, try what inerests us, and have a good time.

Anyway, hope to see everyone tomorrow night and saturday morning!

Jesus people, I leave you guys alone for one day ...

Well, 4 days, 11 hours, and 30 minutes actually, but who's counting? :) (last post 11-27-2011, 01:02 PM)

Okey Dokey, I'll be there...before dark, so maybe before you. I'll bring a variety of stuff, including maybe some "survival" knives to fondle, some well known some lesser. I'll try to resurrect a lantern or two so you can reconnoiter after dark! Also my little portapotty, only need to bury one little bag. :)

- OS

Jesus people, I leave you guys alone for one day and someone steals the event and everyone else all but throws in the towel!

I am NOT stealing the event. Furthest thing in the world from it, simply offering an alternative because we hadn't heard from you in several days (not ONE, SEVERAL). It's your baby - you raise it the way you see fit.

Edited by Timestepper

Alright, so this is a go?

What is the address, so I can get out my topographical map and compass and create a route. Assuming that I know Chapman HWY very well and just driving it would be cheating. :mad:

I am not sure what time I will be there tomorrow, I guess I could stop by for a minute or two tonight after work, but I won't be able to be out there in the morning until my wife is home from work. She is uncomfortable with my daughter going. However, I may overrule that since it has come to light that my car can make the trek. Chaos sits very, very low. I have less than two inches of clearance at the lowest points.

I don't know what I can contribute, other than a thirst for knowledge and a mind for logistics.

But if there are guns there, I can bring more.

Guest bkelm18
Alright, so this is a go?

What is the address, so I can get out my topographical map and compass and create a route. Assuming that I know Chapman HWY very well and just driving it would be cheating. :mad:

I am not sure what time I will be there tomorrow, I guess I could stop by for a minute or two tonight after work, but I won't be able to be out there in the morning until my wife is home from work. She is uncomfortable with my daughter going. However, I may overrule that since it has come to light that my car can make the trek. Chaos sits very, very low. I have less than two inches of clearance at the lowest points.

I don't know what I can contribute, other than a thirst for knowledge and a mind for logistics.

But if there are guns there, I can bring more.

Sounds like it's a go. The address as posted earlier by BBSweets is 1999 Chapman Highway Sevierville TN. 37876. I know I don't have much of anything to contribute, just going to get out of the house and meet some folk.

I am NOT stealing the event. Furthest thing in the world from it, simply offering an alternative because we hadn't heard from you in several days (not ONE, SEVERAL). It's your baby - you raise it the way you see fit.

Easy chief, just joking. Maybe we need to practice our senses of humor this weekend! Lol Only said you were stealing it because you had said weren't. I wouldn't even had noticed otherwise. I'm glad to see someone wanting to get one going as well actually... I hadn't posted anything in SEVERAL days because there was nothing to post. When I seen people wanted me to confirm I did. Now if it had been canceled, then I would have posted. I can see why people would want to make sure though. I wasn't just being lazy I promise! Lol

This thing is a go. I need to pick up a few things like .22 rounds and I'll be heading to....

1999 Chapman HWY Sevierville.

Just to chime in.... I hadn't posted because I knew I couldn't make this one, but I'd love to be there if this happens again! I just happened to have school obligations I can't escape this weekend.