Preparation Meetup?

I was wondering if there was any interest for a survival/emergency preparation camp out kinda thing. Does anyone have a place to hold such a thing? It'd be nice if someone had some personal property so that we could camp, shoot a few different kinds of firearms/bows/sling shots, etc... I can't speak for everybody, but I wouldn't mind driving a little while if it meant a better learning opportunity...

Outside the place to do it, who here has any skills that could be taught to other members? Anyone from the Military or medical fields? Any avid outdoorsmen that hunt/trap? Anyone read books and want to try out something they've read?

Who'd like to throw in on some money/materials to get the most out of this little learning experience?

I could bring..

.22 Rifle and ammo

Targets

Sling shot.... seriously...... Also marbles and arrows to shoot from it.

Books on survival, trapping, and books about making things like windmills and etc....

Food maybe and drinks......

Probably a few more things.....

So who wants to get in on this?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

I could get in on this. I just don't want it to be an all out Bear Grylls/Survivorman type thing. I'm all for practical disaster prep though.

Yeah, it doesn't need to be an extreme survival weekend. I know I can eat bugs if the time come to it. I just want the chance to learn from someone who might know something I don't and possibly pass on anything I know to someone else. There's a few things I've been wanting to try, a few things I wanted to brush up on, and I'm always looking for new skills to learn. Plus I'd feel a lot more confident if something were to happen knowing I could at least perform whatever task at hand under the best circumstance before betting my life I can do it under the worst ones. I also believe that in time you'd HAVE to graft back into a larger group, especially if you have family to think about. If we all "knowledgable survivalists"we wouldn't be a burdon to a group when we came to one. We'd all be able to contribute our share, pull our weight and make the group stronger...

Plus it will give us all a chance to meet one another. It would help to put a face with the posts. We all know that people aren't always the same in person as they are online. I'd be willing to be there's a couple of weirdos one here! lol

I'd really like to run this as almost a course in preparedness. Having set courses, times, and maybe intructors. Even if not instructors a set time we'd all come together and share our insights on say, fire starting methods. Maybe since water will be an important resource we could start the moring on water procurement and treatment..... Maybe since a huge killer is exposure, the necessities of staying warm/dry and the symtoms/signs of hypo/hyperthermia...

I might be putting too much time into this. I tend to over analyze things sometimes, but I'd like to get the most out of the time. I know to attend these classes taught elsewhere are hundreds of dollars. That money saved could be better spent elsewhere in preparation. Plus reading/doing are two different things. I've read how to make a hand drill plenty of times, doing it has been MUCH harder...

I'm going to list a few things that might be of interest to touch on. Feel free to speak up and say if there's one I need to remove or if you have any to add. Also it might be helpful to mention if it's something you want to learn/ might be able to offer insight.

Expediate shelters

Tarp Shelters

Proper way/place to set up a campsite

Ways to leave less impact/trace of having been there

Of course finding, treating, storing water and the effects of dehydration

Ways to start fire, keep fires going, and just building a decent campfire in general....

That would be a great time to learn how to and what to cook on an open fire...

Keeping our core body temperature in check

Navigation

Maybe if someone had some basic medical training.....

Maybe touch on traps/snares... I mean if we're away from our stockpile/raided/whatever food will have to be found

Edible plants

Do we need guns? I'm pretty sure we all know our way around firearms... we are all on tngunowners... lol But who knows!

Stockpiling tips, preserving tips.... stuff like that...

Maybe cover some opinions/facts of what emergencies are most possible. Escape routes?

I keep think about medical related info. Treating basic things like sprains, breaks, cuts, infections, stings and bites..

Well thats a start.. I have to be at work in like 4 hours... back on tomorrow. Feel free to drop me a PM for whatever reason guys. I wouldn't mind doing this annually, bi or tri annually even. Eventually the groups might get bigger and more info could be shared.

Now I'm def interested. I have a degree in Environmental studies (man living in harmony with nature is how I say it) and absolutely love discussion of these topics. I am willing to share what I have learned, as well as learn what others have to share.

Guest bkelm18
I'm going to list a few things that might be of interest to touch on. Feel free to speak up and say if there's one I need to remove or if you have any to add. Also it might be helpful to mention if it's something you want to learn/ might be able to offer insight.

Expediate shelters

Tarp Shelters

Proper way/place to set up a campsite

Ways to leave less impact/trace of having been there

Of course finding, treating, storing water and the effects of dehydration

Ways to start fire, keep fires going, and just building a decent campfire in general....

That would be a great time to learn how to and what to cook on an open fire...

Keeping our core body temperature in check

Navigation

Maybe if someone had some basic medical training.....

Maybe touch on traps/snares... I mean if we're away from our stockpile/raided/whatever food will have to be found

Edible plants

Do we need guns? I'm pretty sure we all know our way around firearms... we are all on tngunowners... lol But who knows!

Stockpiling tips, preserving tips.... stuff like that...

Maybe cover some opinions/facts of what emergencies are most possible. Escape routes?

I keep think about medical related info. Treating basic things like sprains, breaks, cuts, infections, stings and bites..

Well thats a start.. I have to be at work in like 4 hours... back on tomorrow. Feel free to drop me a PM for whatever reason guys. I wouldn't mind doing this annually, bi or tri annually even. Eventually the groups might get bigger and more info could be shared.

Sounds like a pretty well rounded plan. I don't really have any areas of expertise. Other than maybe issues dealing with radiation. I worked in a nuclear power plant for a few years. If we wanted to make this a regular thing, at least for the Knoxville area folks, I think that would be pretty beneficial. Maybe establish some rendezvous/bug-out locations like David talked about in the other thread. What I meant by saying I didn't want this to turn into a Bear Grylls-a-thon, I don't foresee many realistic scenarios that would result in a total collapse and turn the country into complete lawlessness. If an event occurred that did destroy civilization in this country, I'd say not many people would survive. I can foresee regional disasters though. So basic outdoors skills would be good to help in the time it takes you to get to a civilized/lawful area. I think the illusion that many people have of becoming one with nature and living in the woods for the rest of their life isn't realistic. Obviously some people can and could do that, but I don't think it's practical for the average person to spend enormous amounts of time learning hardcore bushcraft, unless they choose to do so if that's their thing.

I think knowing a little more about dealing with radiation is greatly important since a nuclear plant isn't real far away. Plus if the prevailing winds are blowing towards us, it all that more likely to see the effects of the fallout if something were to happen. A nuclear emergency is on my list of posibilities. We could put this on a list of possible regional disasters like tornadoes and flooding and maybe give it some specialized attention.... Does anyone else feel that a nuclear emergency is a real threat? Didn't know if I was alone.... I agree that living in the wild is not doable for most people. I wouldn't even want to. I would like to do this on a more regular basis. The more it's done the more instinctive our actions will become. Save time, save lives....

Perhaps when I get home I'll start an East Tennessee Preppers group. Maybe the groups can mingle!

I have a place to hold this. A friend of mine owns some property off chapman highway. Its right outside of sevierville. I'm not sure how convenient that is for everyone but it's not in the middle of nowhere and there should be plenty of room. it has a couple of level spots a pond, a creek, and plenty of parking. does this sound good for everybody?

Well let me throw my $0.02 in. I would like to join you all as I have a "little" bit of background in this area. I was a USN SERE Inst (Survival, Evasion, Resistance and Escape - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) in the late 90's. I could provide the resourses we used and offer up what I know as it pertains to the Survival and some of the Evasion portion. My problem will be whether or not I can make it and that would depend on how much lead time I had to plan on attending.

Edited by buck1032

I think the more attendees the better, especially a sere intructor. I think just with the few members we have comin already there is a lot to be learned.We have to balance the time though. The longer we postpone the better the turnout, but the sooner the better. so right now we have some time after two weeks. Whats a good time for everyone else. The place I have one chapman highway is used as a haunted forest during october. thats might be a strange setting. I am also looking into another location into the middle of nowhere.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bkelm18

I can do it towards the last couple weeks of September personally. I've got school started up now and it'll be a couple weeks before I have the cash for some ammo. :lol: What kind of festivities are we planning on?

At this point in my life, it would be better for me if you set a date and let me work on clearing my schedule for that date. Who knew that once I retired and became a stay at home dad I would be this freaking busy. LOL

Edited by buck1032
Guest bkelm18
I'm getting excited about this! Maybe we can make this like once a month type thing.

That would be cool. I guess I should refine my earlier time estimate, I can meet any time really, just no shooty shooty bang bang for me for another couple weeks or so. Spending a grand on textbooks kinda puts a hamper on recreational spending. :D

Awesome! I usually have every saturday off but, won't have any weekends off in October. November/December would be fine with me, but then we're getting into our colder months. Personally that would be fine with me. We might have to modify our lesson plan to accomodate the 20-30 degree temperatures. Then again, the worse conditions we practice in the better chance we have when it's needed. How much would everyone like to do in the cold. I'm fine for whatever, it's what the group wants to do collectively. I'm a make a shelter and fire in the wind and rain to see if I can do it kinda guy. I'd be happy to try this monthly. I feel intrest might fall quickly if "new" things aren't taught and tried, but even if this was held tri-annually would be great.

Things to do. I have a little list going on one of my posts. We can add or take away as needed. Getting into the fall/winter season makes the days shorter, so we'll have to see what we can do per day. What about a campout? If someone had a place with enough land we could pack in, set up camp, and the pack back out the next day. I'd like this because it would seem like a more natural experience. Plus if someone knew of any edible/poisonous plants, animals, tracks, anything else helpful, it would be a great place to see what could be found naturally and locally. Once again, I'm not really looking for a bear grylls-a-thon this time around. Bug eating can be covered another time! lol

I'm someone that is more than likely going to be doing more learning than teaching so anything anyone feels is essential to learn, feel free to post it!

Buck1032 might have a better idea of what are the most important "basics"

Guest bkelm18
Awesome! I usually have every saturday off but, won't have any weekends off in October. November/December would be fine with me, but then we're getting into our colder months. Personally that would be fine with me. We might have to modify our lesson plan to accomodate the 20-30 degree temperatures. Then again, the worse conditions we practice in the better chance we have when it's needed. How much would everyone like to do in the cold. I'm fine for whatever, it's what the group wants to do collectively. I'm a make a shelter and fire in the wind and rain to see if I can do it kinda guy. I'd be happy to try this monthly. I feel intrest might fall quickly if "new" things aren't taught and tried, but even if this was held tri-annually would be great.

Things to do. I have a little list going on one of my posts. We can add or take away as needed. Getting into the fall/winter season makes the days shorter, so we'll have to see what we can do per day. What about a campout? If someone had a place with enough land we could pack in, set up camp, and the pack back out the next day. I'd like this because it would seem like a more natural experience. Plus if someone knew of any edible/poisonous plants, animals, tracks, anything else helpful, it would be a great place to see what could be found naturally and locally. Once again, I'm not really looking for a bear grylls-a-thon this time around. Bug eating can be covered another time! lol

I'm someone that is more than likely going to be doing more learning than teaching so anything anyone feels is essential to learn, feel free to post it!

Buck1032 might have a better idea of what are the most important "basics"

I wouldn't mind a camp-out. I personally prefer hiking/camping/etc in the colder weather.

From my perspective this is Bigbabysweets gig and I am just here to help. So when and where is up to him.

With that said I do have the standard lessons plans from SERE, ie navigation, fire craft, water procurement, food (plant and non plant) procurement, plant ID and survival usage, traps and snares, shelters, improvised gear and some others that may or may not be needed. I do not, or will want to present myself as the know all end all of survival. There is always something to learn to help combat the 7 deadly enemies of survival,

1- Thirst

2- Hunger

3- Temp

4- Boredom and Loneliness

5- Fatigue

6- Fear

7- Pain/Injury

We could go over the lessons as they pertain to us, in TN and we could do a round robin discussion as it pertains the lessons as well as other ideas that will help improve a person’s knowledge and skills. I do have a lot of plant books that could be passed around, but I am afraid that most of them contain info of the S/W portion of the US.

For a little background on myself, I retired from the Navy in 05. In 97 I snagged a set of orders to the SERE school at NASNI. I taught Survival and Evasion (S/E) for 2 years and I spent my last year there in Training where I supported S/E and the RTL (the R/E portion of training). I also taught DEST (Desert Environmental Survival Training) and what was called at the time ATAHS (Anti-Terrorism and Hostile Government Survival). These days it’s called PTAHS or something to that effect. LOL And if we can make this happen I could burn a CD with the US military survival manuals for those that attend.

Now about my online name, buck1032. My last name is Rogers and anyone who has spent time in the service knows a nickname can stick pretty fast. The 1032 is a 4/per rev vibe on the H-60 helo (I was an Aircraft Machinist Mate by trade) So Buck followed me around for 20 years. No one outside TN knows me by my given name, Dale. So feel free to call me Buck or Dale whatever strikes your fancy. LOL