Preparation Meetup?

Alright, my busiest months are over. I think the more the merrier for the get together. The biggest thing in locking down a time. End of November, early December anyone? Are we gonna try and wait it out till spring. I'd love to have a meetup every season for it's obvious advantages. There's seems to be enough interest that if most of show up there should be a lot of information passed around. I have one place to go for sure. It can be used anytime, has parking, woods, pond, creek, right off chapman highway, but there isn't much room for rifle shooting if we want to do that. If we all threw in a little money maybe we could buy ammo if someone would like to bring out a few rifles. I only have the hunting variety but if someone had something more tactical they'd like to show the group..... Welp, any ideas?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think what's gonna have to happen is schedule a time and who ever shows up shows up. This is a busy time of year with most people working and having only weekends off to shop/spend time with family. I'm game for about any weekend so long as I know about it in advance. I have an AR that I would be happy to bring if people bring their own ammo. I also thought a paintball fight would be fun!

Guest bkelm18

I can do most weekends given some advance notice. I won't be able to do much shooting. I've had to thin my collection considerably for monetary reasons. I'm game for anything though.

Somebody PM me if a date ever gets set, I've 'bout quit reading these numerous threads since the meets never seem to happen.

I'd probably show just to meet some of y'all and kick topics around, shoot a little, whatever.

Heck, I've never even met Brandon, and we've "talked" on TGO for years. :D

- OS

I'm with OhShoot.

Yes, bud, I'm back on here, even if I still likely won't be that active!

I'm coming back for R&R from a deployment to Afghanistan on or about the 24th of November, so late NOV early DEC would be perfect for me, since I'll be going back sometime in the first two weeks of December. My planning is highly flexible while I'm home.

I'm qualified for extremely basic medical (Combat Lifesaver--it's not for long, but it's to keep you alive long enough to get evac'd!), land navigation, basic rifle marksmanship, a little bit of Combatives (level 1), SOME field sanitation (nowhere near enough to teach anything), and a bit about making shelters.

I'd also happily bring along whatever I have if anyone can get a place and time while I'm home! I'd love to get ot go out and have some fun.

Over the course of being here, I finally managed to wheedle Mom into getting her HCP, and now I just get ot wheedle her ot actually CARRY, so then I can wheedle her about adapting her rig to be more comfortable and concealable!

Alright, Saturday December 3rd. Right now we can have it off Chapman HWY in Sevierville. I'll check with a friend of mine that owns some land in Seymour. It's not too far from the first place but is a bit more secluded and offers a more realistic terrain and a longer range opportunnity for those of us wanting to do some shooting. I'll start working on some course outlines and guidelines to follow. I'm sure we are all adults but better to be clear on things.....

So should we get there friday night and have a little camp cookout around the fire? I'm checking the yes box. I think part of the reason for the meetup is getting to know one another. What better way than to roast some marshmellows and sing kumbaya?

Once again, I'm open for questions or ideas!

Somebody PM me if a date ever gets set, I've 'bout quit reading these numerous threads since the meets never seem to happen.

I'd probably show just to meet some of y'all and kick topics around, shoot a little, whatever.

Heck, I've never even met Brandon, and we've "talked" on TGO for years. :panic:

- OS

Agreed. If we get it set up, I will be there.

I did my first "test" run on camping out last weekend up at Fall Creek Falls, with my BOB and a cooler (yeah I know it ain't gonna be around when/if I actually need to bug out, but baby steps folks). Worked out pretty well. The dog and I made it for a night and stayed pretty warm.

I was planning to do another run the weekend of Dec 3rd to perfect some things that I didn't do so well, and work on some things that I didn't try at all.

That being said, I'd be interested in joining you guys, if it's not crashing your party?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like fun, but there's a good chance I won't know for sure until the day before or something. The campout idea sounds like fun although, again, I likely won't know until immediately prior. If I DO get to come, I might just show up in Western mountain man garb (since that's what I'm most comfortable camping in) with accompanying tumpline bed roll, provided y'all promise not to laugh too terribly hard... at least until I'm out of ear-shot.

Might or might not bring a smokepole - it'll depend mostly upon what I'm in the mood for cleaning. Probably will at least bring my good ol' Savage 24 just for incongruity's sake. :D

...TS...

Edited by Timestepper

Address is 1999 Chapman Highway Sevierville TN. 37876

If you google map/earth it there's a large building beside a smaller one. They are seperate properties and we'll be on the smaller one. It will give you a better look at what we'll have for use. It used to be a paintball field a couple years ago. It was sold and the new owner moved it's location down the road. I'm looking to get there before 6 fri night in hopes of getting there and getting a fire going before anyone that's camping shows up.

I think we should get a list of things people are planning to bring to the meet up. Things that we could use as teaching tools. I'm bringing my basic hiking/camping stuff, I have water purification tablets and a MSR Filter, books, notes, a .22 Rifle, my LCP, my little coke can stove... not a whole lot......

Still working on the best way to set up "classes" for the learning/teaching.... I'll post up an outline once I get one set up.....

I think I am in for this Friday and Saturday. Unless my crabby ass self will scare anyone else off.

Not sure about Saturday night.

Not sure what knowledge I have in particular. But it might be a good way to see if the crap in my ruck is actually useful or well, just crap.

Not sure if I wanna use a tent or just fabricate something out of the tarp or sheet of plastic in my pack. But if it is not gonna rain I am leaning to fabrication.

I will add a sleeping bag and mat. I don't much figure I neeed practice on sleeping on cold hard ground, that will suck enough if and when it is unavoidable.

I do suggest that all the people who said they were up for it over the course of this thread get PM'd about it as a reminder.

Guest bkelm18

If I can make it, I'll just bring my regular camping/backpacking set up. Either my hammock tent or a regular ground tent, Katadyn water filter, Pocket Rocket stove, and odds and ends. What about food and whatnot?