Preparation Meetup?

Guest bkelm18
From my perspective this is Bigbabysweets gig and I am just here to help. So when and where is up to him.

With that said I do have the standard lessons plans from SERE, ie navigation, fire craft, water procurement, food (plant and non plant) procurement, plant ID and survival usage, traps and snares, shelters, improvised gear and some others that may or may not be needed. I do not, or will want to present myself as the know all end all of survival. There is always something to learn to help combat the 7 deadly enemies of survival,

1- Thirst

2- Hunger

3- Temp

4- Boredom and Loneliness

5- Fatigue

6- Fear

7- Pain/Injury

We could go over the lessons as they pertain to us, in TN and we could do a round robin discussion as it pertains the lessons as well as other ideas that will help improve a person’s knowledge and skills. I do have a lot of plant books that could be passed around, but I am afraid that most of them contain info of the S/W portion of the US.

For a little background on myself, I retired from the Navy in 05. In 97 I snagged a set of orders to the SERE school at NASNI. I taught Survival and Evasion (S/E) for 2 years and I spent my last year there in Training where I supported S/E and the RTL (the R/E portion of training). I also taught DEST (Desert Environmental Survival Training) and what was called at the time ATAHS (Anti-Terrorism and Hostile Government Survival). These days it’s called PTAHS or something to that effect. LOL And if we can make this happen I could burn a CD with the US military survival manuals for those that attend.

Now about my online name, buck1032. My last name is Rogers and anyone who has spent time in the service knows a nickname can stick pretty fast. The 1032 is a 4/per rev vibe on the H-60 helo (I was an Aircraft Machinist Mate by trade) So Buck followed me around for 20 years. No one outside TN knows me by my given name, Dale. So feel free to call me Buck or Dale whatever strikes your fancy. LOL

Sounds awesome. Former squid myself.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From my perspective this is Bigbabysweets gig and I am just here to help. So when and where is up to him.

With that said I do have the standard lessons plans from SERE, ie navigation, fire craft, water procurement, food (plant and non plant) procurement, plant ID and survival usage, traps and snares, shelters, improvised gear and some others that may or may not be needed. I do not, or will want to present myself as the know all end all of survival. There is always something to learn to help combat the 7 deadly enemies of survival,

1- Thirst

2- Hunger

3- Temp

4- Boredom and Loneliness

5- Fatigue

6- Fear

7- Pain/Injury

We could go over the lessons as they pertain to us, in TN and we could do a round robin discussion as it pertains the lessons as well as other ideas that will help improve a person’s knowledge and skills. I do have a lot of plant books that could be passed around, but I am afraid that most of them contain info of the S/W portion of the US.

For a little background on myself, I retired from the Navy in 05. In 97 I snagged a set of orders to the SERE school at NASNI. I taught Survival and Evasion (S/E) for 2 years and I spent my last year there in Training where I supported S/E and the RTL (the R/E portion of training). I also taught DEST (Desert Environmental Survival Training) and what was called at the time ATAHS (Anti-Terrorism and Hostile Government Survival). These days it’s called PTAHS or something to that effect. LOL And if we can make this happen I could burn a CD with the US military survival manuals for those that attend.

Now about my online name, buck1032. My last name is Rogers and anyone who has spent time in the service knows a nickname can stick pretty fast. The 1032 is a 4/per rev vibe on the H-60 helo (I was an Aircraft Machinist Mate by trade) So Buck followed me around for 20 years. No one outside TN knows me by my given name, Dale. So feel free to call me Buck or Dale whatever strikes your fancy. LOL

Buck,

Thanks for offering your knowledge! I've been reading through this thread thinking it sounded like a great idea... until you said "Hostile Gov Survival" and now it sounds like an imperative.

BBS, sounds like a great idea to me! I haven't been camping in a while and would love to participate.

I'd be interested in joining you folks if my schedule allows. Primarily as a "listener & learner." I have a number of years of various "generic" military training (retired now) but I wasn't a snake eater or anything like that. I could certainly add to a conversation but I'm definitely not an expert in any of these areas.

I've just recently started to get more interested in "being prepared" so this is good timing for me. I'm not originally from the area so I don't know that many people around here. I suspect that mutual support would be a key in most emergencies so getting to know some of you would be beneficial for all of us.

If this ends up involving range time, I could bring some shooting toys and ammo to share.

I'm in as well. This all sounds good to me. I would be starting from zero though, so I would be mainly listening and learning from you guys.

I can also attend the preparedness fair on the 24th.

Good deal. The more the merrier. We're all starting somewhere.

I guess we need to start formulating a plan for the fair next Saturday. Any votes on when to meet up? It is from 10-4 next Saturday at Bearden High School.

We can meet up outside the school about 0945? Unless we all wanted to grab breakfast or something...

Hey yall, the wife and I are in too.

Ive been whatchin this thread and was not sure if I could do the Saturday event or not.

I have the dreaded colonoscopy on the following Monday and had to reread my directions as to when I need to start my meds, so Im cleared for the day till 7pm. Just post for the greet and meet. I"ll be one of the listeners as well but im up for a camp out any weekend before it gets cold if someone can arrange the spot.

We can meet up outside the school about 0945? Unless we all wanted to grab breakfast or something...

I'm down for 945. If we want a group breakfast I'm game too. I'm just goin with the flow. :)

Well gents, I'm gonna have to bail on this one. The lady friend has the flu.

I was getting on here to cancel as well. We don't have a babysitter and I can't entertain my 9 month old for an entire day at this...there's still a chance I can make it for part of it...we will see. Sorry all.

• 4 weeks later...

New to TGO, so this is the first time I've even seen the thread. Sounds like an interesting idea to be sure.

Never really a survivalist type, but I spent a few years up home (in Western Kansas) demonstrating/teaching "frontier survival skills" (basic tracking, flint & steel/bow drill fire starting methods, muzzle loader safety, basic shelter w/out modern materials, cordage making, etc...) so I might be able to offer a smidgin or two of useful info. Truthfully, I'm not sure how much I could actually add, but I'd be more than tickled to show what I generally carry in my tumpline bedroll for a 2 - 3 day primitive trek (actually, kinda' the forerunner of the modern day bugout bag) and maybe give a little different perspective. Heck, even if no one is interested in my style of "camping" it'd be worth it to me just to talk to other folks about their style of camping/survival.

Only thing is, I drive a truck 5-6 days a week, so my time is kind've at a premium. A Saturday would definitely be best if I had enough notice.

Keep yer nose to th' wind!

...Timestepper...