Balancing Concealment with Power

midtennchip

Okay, I'm sure this has been covered before, but I'll ask anyway (and expect the flaming). I have started looking for a subcompact for concealed carry. I have a H&K P30 (which could be a CCW for many people), but I rarely wear a jacket or a shirt with the tale out. I wear a tucked in shirt every day. As a result, just about anything with which a holster is visible will not be an option.

Based on online listings and ads in gun magazines, I have been looking at the Kel-Tec PF-9, the Para Carry 9, and the H&K P2000 subcompact. I have not held any of these yet, but I wanted opinions on these and other similar guns. I am not stuck on a particular caliber.

Are the Kel-Tec and Para that much smaller than the P2000? If so, how much of a difference?

Can any of these be carried in any manner (other than ankle holsters) without a jacket or long shirt?

Thanks.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jackdog

Often carry KT .380 in a pocket holster. KT P9 is just a bit large for me to carry in my pocket, But if your wearing the right pants it can be done. The p9 does conceal very easily with an IWB holster.

I traveled from Savannah Ga to back home in TN yesterday and I had my G26 laying by my side, but when I made any stops I hide my G26 in the console and slipped my little Kel Tec 380 in my pocket because it is small enough to be hidden easy. It's also very light.

I carry an XD 40 SubCompact in a comptec M-TAC holster. Easily concealed. The only problem i have had is most of my pants just fit, so i can only wear it with pants i have bought recently that are 1-2 inches bigger. For days i wear clothes that i can not fit it in I carry my Kel-Tec 380 in a pocket holster. With an extra mag or two in my pocket.

• Administrator
11.5oz j frame with 5 rounds of .38spl +p. What more of a balance do you need :cool:

Agreed. I used to detest revolvers until I saw how perfectly a J-frame fits in my front pants pocket with a DeSantis Nemesis holster. This is the ultimate carry option for someone who wants to travel light but still wants some firepower. :)

I had a PF9, that I really liked. Got for the same reason you are thinking about. However, I decided to sell it and just carry my Hi-Power and FNP9. The reason is the PF9 is not a range gun (Practice) and does take some extra attention (grip, sights, ect) to get the little sucker ready to go on target, as compared to a fullsize. I felt in stress it might cost me too much attention. I get a lot more range time and confidence with the larger guns.

I also found that most of the time I can find a fairly easy way to carry the fullsize without much problem.

I had a PF9, that I really liked. Got for the same reason you are thinking about. However, I decided to sell it and just carry my Hi-Power and FNP9. The reason is the PF9 is not a range gun (Practice) and does take some extra attention (grip, sights, ect) to get the little sucker ready to go on target, as compared to a fullsize. I felt in stress it might cost me too much attention. I get a lot more range time and confidence with the larger guns.

I also found that most of the time I can find a fairly easy way to carry the fullsize without much problem.

+1

Guest clutepc

I go to various locations each day and I carry in almost all of them without any issues.

I carry a M&P 40 Compact in a MTAC Holster. It works great with a shirt tucked in or not.

I'm able to move around anyway I need to and stay concealed.

I wear it 12 to 14 hours a day without any complaints.

Guest 270win

A classic J frame Smith and Wesson, Airweight or Airlite, is a great choice for reliability, power, and ease of concealment. The Colt snubs, if you can find one, are a little larger because they are six shots instead of a S&W's five. I have no problem hiding a J frame in a cheap uncle mike's pocket holster when wearing khaki pants, jeans, or shorts. I can even carry it in a jacket pocket when i want to. Lightweight snub revolvers are challenging to shoot at first.

• Administrator
Lightweight snub revolvers are challenging to shoot at first.

I've never really considered my J-Frame to be anything more than a down and dirty, up close, personal defense weapon. It's not something I take to the range and shoot for recreational purposes very often. In fact, I only shoot it once every month or so just to keep the rust off.

Statistically, you're not very likely to have to shoot a very far distance in most self defense situations. So "aiming" a J-Frame in those situations more or less means putting your shots anywhere into a man sized target at 5-7 yds.

Guest m4coyote

+1 on the Kahr PM9! My opinion is that It is the best "pocket pistol" out there. It is smaller than any other major caliber auto pistol, and is very accurate. Mine hides in my pocket almost as easily as the Kel Tec P3AT.

As a bonus it is also accurate. Mine will shoot hand held six shot groups at 10 yards into two inches or less.

The PM9 is in my pocket continuously.

Guest HexHead
I've never really considered my J-Frame to be anything more than a down and dirty, up close, personal defense weapon. It's not something I take to the range and shoot for recreational purposes very often. In fact, I only shoot it once every month or so just to keep the rust off.

Statistically, you're not very likely to have to shoot a very far distance in most self defense situations. So "aiming" a J-Frame in those situations more or less means putting your shots anywhere into a man sized target at 5-7 yds.

I think of the J-frame as an alternative to a knife.