Unbelievable

Curiousgb

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And those problems noted in his file are probably only a few drops in a bucket of failed judgement calls on his part.

Although people feel the need to blame Benjamin the main problem is the administration that allowed it to go as far as it has. It was also his fellow officers that allowed it to get to this point by looking the other way. You can blame Benjamin but you can also blame every other officer that witnessed his actions but did or said nothing. Every time this officer did something wrong and was not disciplined accordingly it only empowered him more. And when I say accordingly it shouldn't mean he had to attend a 1 hour block of instruction on "you don't grab their ass". The first time he had a lapse of judgement they should have sent him home without any pay for a week. Second offense he gets sent home permanently and his POST certification gets revoked so he can't continue his antics at another department.

Problem is that never happens. The administration and other officers allow it to get worse and worse then all of a sudden everyone acts surprized when something like this happens. But it is no more of a surprize to other officers now as it probably was 10 years ago. Officers are good at reading people, including their own, and know who the bad apples are.

Officers will look the other way to protect their own bad apples as well as to protect themselves. I have seen it first hand. And if an officer does do the right thing by turning in another he is labeled a "rat" and is often treated far worse than the officer he turned in. The backlash from this is overwhelming for most, threats, no side jobs as well as other officers just not assisting. This often leads to the good officer quitting. Most often time the bad officer stays and gets some additional, minimalistic training and that is the extent of the punishment. And if they are really bad they will get some time off with pay or pulled off the road for a few weeks.

I am far from anti LE, I support my local LE with equipment if they can't afford it and the department won't purchase it. I have complained about their low pay and lack of benefits. With that being said what I am against is officers who bring discredit on the uniform.

Dolomite

My concern is how many Hispanic men got dogged out over last few days while MPD was looking for a cop shooter.

I was worried about that as well. I watched an interview with Armstrong and it appears they had serious doubts about his story from the start. So hopefully no one was unduly detained or harassed.