Well, that was a wasted trip to the DOS.

Guest GUTTERbOY

Guest GUTTERbOY

OK, so my HCP course instructor told us that we had to take a birth certificate or passport with our application in order to prove residency. I don't have a copy of my birth certificate here; I thought I had one filed away, but I went looking for it when I applied for my TNDL and couldn't find it. Luckily, at that time, I learned that I could use my military ID as proof of citizenship to get the license.

So anyway, I asked the instructor if that was a valid proof of citizenship, and he said no. I decided to double-check this when I got home. Sure enough the DOS site simply says you have to provide proof of citizenship, and links to the same list of documents as for the DL. So I figured I was OK, and worst case, I'd waste a trip to the office. Which is what happened.

Now I look on the NC Vital Records site and see that they have a 6-8 week turnaround time on birth certificate requests. Which would mean that by the time I got that, I'd be outside the window that lets me use my NC carry permit to skip the fingerprinting and just pay the renewal fee.

I'm hoping that my parents have a copy that they can mail to me sooner than that. When I was looking at the DL, they thought that there might be one n their safe deposit box, but weren't sure... once I found out about the military ID, I told them not to worry about checking.

:wave:

Oh well...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bulletproof

6-8 weeks is awful. When I requested my birth certificate from the state of Wyoming, they let me fax my DL and and other identifying information to them, proving who I was, and then they sent the birth certificate FedEx or UPS. I don't remember which. It only took me a couple of days. When I called back and thanked the lady she said "You betcha". Maybe NC has some kind of express service like that.

Guest GUTTERbOY

Looks like they do have a rush service but it would end up costing me about $60. I guess I'll look into that if my parents don't have a copy.

Guest TNDixieGirl

I used vitalchek as well and it took 4 or 5 days to receive. I've done it twice now and both times received in less than a week. I was pleasantly surprised. Well worth it.

Guest HexHead
And just yesterday I got an application from the state in the mail to renew mine. I figured I was going to have to go to the states website and download the form. I don't even have to pay for a piece of paper.

I got my renewal form in the mail the day after they cashed my check. :shake:

Guest GUTTERbOY

Talked to the parents tonight, turns out that they looked back when I thought I'd need it for the license, and they definitely don't have a copy. So I'm first going to call DOS tomorrow and bring up the fact that their website contains apparently erroneous information... just in case the guy at the local office was wrong. If that doesn't pan out- which I'm pretty confident it won't- my parents volunteered to go by the courthouse in Raleigh and see about getting a copy and mailing it to me.

Guest TNDixieGirl

Can I ask where you're getting the information that you won't have to be fingerprinted in order to get your TN permit? I can't find that info anywhere on their website. All I can find is:

North Carolina

Applicant must be twenty-one (21), complete a DOS approved handgun safety course, complete the Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit application, and pay the applicable renewal fee

Part of the application process includes the fingerprinting. At least it did when I applied. What am I missing that you've found? Or is it because you were already fingerprinted in NC?

Edited by TNDixieGirl

He doesn't have to be fingerprinted "again", because he was fingerprinted in NC. Right?

As in your post it shows the requirements for someone from NC and does not show fingerprinting.

If you have an out-of-state permit and apply for one in TN the requirements vary depending on which state your from. http://tennessee.gov/safety/handgun/apprequirements.htm Coming from some states all you have to do is pay the $50 renewal fee. No class, no fingerprint etc.....

Now if you don't have a valid permit from another state....you have to go through the same process as a new applicant.

Guest GUTTERbOY
Can I ask where you're getting the information that you won't have to be fingerprinted in order to get your TN permit? I can't find that info anywhere on their website. All I can find is:

North Carolina

Applicant must be twenty-one (21), complete a DOS approved handgun safety course, complete the Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit application, and pay the applicable renewal fee

Part of the application process includes the fingerprinting. At least it did when I applied. What am I missing that you've found? Or is it because you were already fingerprinted in NC?

Well, it specifies fingerprinting for applicants from other states, which is what led me to believe I wouldn't have to do that. For example, the Alabama requirements are:

Applicant must be twenty-one (21), take a DOS approved handgun safety course, complete the Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit application, pay one hundred and fifteen dollar ($115.00) fee, and be fingerprinted.
Guest GUTTERbOY

Also, I verified with the permit office today that MIL ID is not a good proof of citizenship. That's all well and good, but if that's the case, then they really ought to change their damn website to indicate it.

From http://www.state.tn.us/safety/handgun/handgunfaqs.htm:

You should then make application at any full service Driver Service Center. You will need to bring with you the original copy of your safety course completion certificate, proof of US Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residency, photo identification such as your Driver License, and $115 NON-REFUNDABLE permit fee. This fee may be paid in cash, money order or with a certified check. If there are no problems with the application and you meet all eligibility requirements, you should receive your permit within 90 days of the date you submit your application.

When your application is processed at the Driver Service Center, you will be given instructions on being fingerprinted.

Effective July 1, 2005, all new handgun permit applicants must provide proof of U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residency.

That link takes you to the long list of documents. If the only permissible documents are BC or passport, then they ought to just say that.

Anyway, the good news is that my parents are going to Raleigh anyway this Tuesday, and volunteered to swing by, pick up a copy, and mail it out to me. So I ought to have it by next week, without paying out the nether orifice.

Edited by GUTTERbOY

Well it does list other documents besides BC and passport...and MIL ID is not on the list.

Considering you do not have to be an American Citizen to serve in the military, it may not be a good proof citizenship. :lol:

But I'm glad your parents are going to take care of the BC.

Guest GUTTERbOY
Well it does list other documents besides BC and passport...and MIL ID is not on the list.

Considering you do not have to be an American Citizen to serve in the military, it may not be a good proof citizenship. :lol:

But I'm glad your parents are going to take care of the BC.

It's the eighth item on the list:

Unexpired U.S. Active Duty/Retiree/Reservist Military ID Card (DOD DD-2)
I sent an email to the commissioner's contact address indicating that they really ought to change the site to reflect accurate information. I'm not particularly annoyed with the requirements. When you get down to it, I should have requested a BC copy for my records before now anyway. But I would like to see accurate information for all the other folks that might get misled like me. Edited by GUTTERbOY
It's the eighth item on the list:

I sent an email to the commissioner's contact address indicating that they really ought to change the site to reflect accurate information. I'm not particularly annoyed with the requirements. When you get down to it, I should have requested a BC copy for my records before now anyway. But I would like to see accurate information for all the other folks that might get misled like me.

I stand corrected sir! :lol:

I agree that the website should be corrected. Hopefully the commissioner will do something. Wonder what would have happened if you'd taken a printout of the list and showed them?

When I got my drivers license in TN it was a circus. The information on their website wasn't up to date. I had my primary forms of ID according to the website, but my Ohio Drivers License for some reason couldn't be used as a valid ID. I almost lost my job over it because of the time it took to get me a BC. I drive for a living, and like they told me, if you can't drive your worthless to us.

Guest GUTTERbOY
IWonder what would have happened if you'd taken a printout of the list and showed them?

Maybe I oughta skip out of work early and head over to Cherokee. Might be worth a try to wave the list at them, although if I get the same guy, I suspect he won't be inclined to change his mind...

I further note that the DOS site does not list US citizenship as a requirement for an HCP.

Guest GUTTERbOY

Final follow-up here: Got an email back from the commissioner's office today, turns out the info on the website is accurate and any of the documents listed are valid for the HCP.

Final follow-up here: Got an email back from the commissioner's office today, turns out the info on the website is accurate and any of the documents listed are valid for the HCP.

Hmmmmmm....surely you're not saying those that first told you that your MIL ID was not valid proof were wrong and they didn't even know the provisions of the very department they work for? ;);)

:D

Guest GUTTERbOY

I'm not particularly surprised that the people at the local office were misinformed. I was more taken aback by the person I spoke with at the Nashville office echoing the same thing, and apparently they were incorrect as well. You'd think that an individual working at the state permit office would have a good handle on the regulations.