SC Deputy looses Full Auto rifle

Lumber_Jack

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RE:"Belton reported to a captain in the department that he was missing a fully automatic M-4 rifle, including magazines and ammunition, a Remington 870 shotgun and a duffle bag containing biohazard equipment.Investigators said Belton's story about the missing equipment changed several times during the investigation.

The missing equipment is worth about $2,500."

$2,500 for a fully automatic M4, a 870 and bio gear… I would buy all I could get my hands on at that price!

Guest lostpass

Crap man, if you can tell me where I can buy a full auto M4 for 2,500 you can find me in line with about a million other folks. Clearly this is not "street value"

I'd bet that these things were lost and suddenly and a pocket was found to be much more sully stuffed.

Guest lostpass
A department bought weapon isn't nearly as expensive as a civilian bought NFA item. Either way he did something stupid and should have his ass kicked. Now if it was because something stole them any normal officer would have reported that immediately.

No doubt but when the departments report value it is usually "street" value, not replacement value. You never hear about a drug bust where the guy says "The police estimated the street value of the marijuana at 2.3 million dollars, the actual replacement value value was forty bucks and a high point 9mm"

No doubt but when the departments report value it is usually "street" value, not replacement value. You never hear about a drug bust where the guy says "The police estimated the street value of the marijuana at 2.3 million dollars, the actual replacement value value was forty bucks and a high point 9mm"

A department's cost for a full auto weapon is going to be even less than our cost for a similarly equipped semi version. The difference between the two is about $10 worth of parts yet we get the marked up version.

Because there is a finite amount of MG's in the country that can be transferred their cost will continue to rise.

The majority of the $2,500 is probably going to be the biohazard equipment. A department 870 is going to cost less than what we pay as well.

As far as repealing the NFA we shouldn't have to. I have watched the video of that faithful day and it never passed. Problem was the Republicans were calling for a real, by name, vote and the Democrats wanted a voice vote. Charlie Rangle, yes the same one who was in trouble for eithics violations, was the speaker of the house at the time of the vote. You can clearly hear the NFA should not have been passed. Charlie then smacked the gavel and declared it became law. They wouldn't even let a person in favor of the NFA speak and waste floor time because no one, Republicans or Democrats, knew it would pass. Yet Charlie declared it was law.

That was the day that a $20 Lightning Link started its climb to the current $6,000+ value. This is for two pieces of stamped metal.

There is a push by a few who are suing the Federal Government over what happened that day. They have some financial support but the big hitters like the NRA don't want any part of the suit. It is probably never going to get repealed. Even if it was found that Rangle did do something wrong the government will cite the last 25 years as a success.

Dolomite

As far as repealing the NFA we shouldn't have to. I have watched the video of that faithful day and it never passed. Problem was the Republicans were calling for a real, by name, vote and the Democrats wanted a voice vote. Charlie Rangle, yes the same one who was in trouble for eithics violations, was the speaker of the house at the time of the vote. You can clearly hear the NFA should not have been passed. Charlie then smacked the gavel and declared it became law. They wouldn't even let a person in favor of the NFA speak and waste floor time because no one, Republicans or Democrats, knew it would pass. Yet Charlie declared it was law.

Dolomite

do you have a link for that video?

I know things happen, even with law enforcement officers. They're human, too. But

the idea that I have to be scrutinized by someone(ATF) and then have to pay up to ten times

the market value of a type of weapon like this, makes me sick of the police state we live in.

I don't think the ATF is justified in its existence, but it's the NFA and the other laws like it

that need to go.

The criminal doesn't look at these laws and get worried. He still gets them. These laws were

passed to make criminals out of the rest of us.

Frankly, I'm surprised that a lot of us in this community would be so vocal, as shown in other

threads , to support legalizing pot, than tearing down existing gun laws. I could change my

views on that subject, but not this one. The existing gun laws are a violation of the 2nd

amendment.

Dolomite

I'm not sure, but I believe that Lumber_Jack was referring to the National Firearms Act of 1934. The Firearm Owners Protection Act (yeah right) was the one passed in 1986.

I believe that they're both equally unconstitutional and should be struck down.

Will

The 1986 act killed the purchase of new machine guns by civillians. The 1934 act required registration of all machine guns, short barreled shotguns and suppressors. As a side note the $200 we pay today hasn't changed since the 1934 act. Back then that was roughly 10% of the average annual income.

What we need is a staunch Pro gun representative to get elected then make the introduciton of the repeal his mission in life. Even if it doesn't pass there would be enough press about it. Hopefully all the gun owners would quit standing by the wayside and actually get involved by calling their reps.

We have become happy or at least content with reps who won't vote our rights away when we should be mad at those who aren't trying to get our rights back. Not just gun rights but all the rights we are losing everyday.

Dolomite