M&P's and people who use lanyards

Tenifer17

I have an M&P40 and I am going to attempt a lanyard hole/attachment on my M&P40c . I do a lot of walking and riding through the woods on my dirt bike and ATV . I always use a lanyard like on my G30 and 34 . I dont want to lose them if they get snagged or such .

My S&W M&P doesnt have a lanyard hole . The bigger M&P45's do have one made into the grip tool (you M&P guys know what I am talking about ) . I am going to drill a hole into my grip tool on my M&P40c so that it will accept a lanyard .

Has anyone ever did this before on here or anyone you know of ? I am just wanting some input . Thanks in advance .

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest nicemac

I do a lot of dirt biking and would not use a lanyard. I use a Galco waist pack and it works wonderfully. It has a rip cord for fast access and is very secure.

Would there be concern for dragging around a loaded weapon if it fell out while riding?

YEah , I would be concerned if it were mine , that is why I am posting this . And if it I felt it being dragged then I would know it fell out and I would know to go get it.

I do a lot of dirt biking and would not use a lanyard. I use a Galco waist pack and it works wonderfully. It has a rip cord for fast access and is very secure.

I am just wanting a cord to secure mine in case it came out of the holster . A pack is a different scenario but thanks for the information .

This is just my logic, but I would not want something tethered to me. My thought process is that if something gets caught in the trigger guard and you ride off, the cord pulls on the gun and causes it to fire. I would rather go with a much more secure method of holding the firearm if you are worried about it coming loose.

Only the ones for fullsize pistols have lanyard loops . I am trying to get one for my M&P40C

I haven't ever compared the compact grip tool to a full size, what's the difference? I would think the part you see behind the mag would be the same. Maybe just the rod is shorter. If so, just shorten the rod on a full size lanyard tool and there you go.

I know everybody hates on the lanyard. And I don't like them on my weapons either. But on the other hand I have seen more than one Soldier down range that would have lost a M9 if they hadn't noticed it dragging. Not saying there are not other solutions but some people need to have a lanyard (especially in the Soldier world where there are all types of folks). I know if I was riding on a ATV all day I would be paranoid about loosing a weapon, still doubt I would have a lanyard.

Guest TresOsos

I've had pistols come out of thumb break holsters while riding ATV's (one reason I hate them so much). I switched to a Serpa and haven't had that issue since. I agree with dralarms go with a retention holster.

I have used lanyards plenty while in the service as well as my life after service. You want the lanyard to be just beyond arms length fully extended, any longer and you are asking for problems. If you don't use a super long lanyard the possibility of it going off from being dragged is minimal. It also does help you keep from loosing a gun either by negligence or nefarious taking it.

There are plenty of advantages to a lanyard. One is if someone grabs your gun you can yank it out of their hands or at least make it hard to aim by making a hard turn in the direction of where the lanyard is attached to the body. This wraps the cord up around you and hopefully pulls it out of their hands. That is providing you use a strong enough attachement. I used 550 cord to tie the gun to the lanyard.

With that being said I hated using them and would avoid it whenever possible. They seemed to get caught on anything and everything you walked by.

Dolomite

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez

Seems like you could use a lanyard, but tuck it into your pants or something. That would help prevent it from getting yanked out while riding. Doesn't help if the gun comes out anyway, and certainly doesn't stop something from catching in the trigger guard and discharging the gun if it's being dragged, but it would at least lower the odds of accidentally losing your piece.

Thanks guys for the replies . I drilled a hole in the grip tool and it came out good . SO I am good to go . Also for those people that say they get caught in things , I use a SHORT lanyard not really long one that droops down a long way . I just dont want a branch or limb catching my pistol while zooming through the woods . I have a helmet on and there is engine noise and all so it is hard to hear what is going on and I can feel what is around my waist but at the same time I am riding while standing up and and shifting my weight for curves and all . SO you cant always tell when you have something grabbing at your waist . So I am good to go with my M&P40C . Thanks for the responses and information .