Faith and Handgun Ownership: Interesting Perspective

Guest WyattEarp

Bert (who unashamedly believes the nonsense cover to cover)

+1 to that. I'll believe it cover to cover until it's proven that it's not true and never happened.

Fact of the matter is, the bible is the best selling book of all time. It is also looked at as a historically accurate record of events during those times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't believe in that nonsense you have nothing to worry about.

Thanks for your viewpoint.

Thank you MacGyver for finding that article. It was a very well written one and I would have liked

to have met him.

Guest bkelm18

Fact of the matter is, the bible is the best selling book of all time. It is also looked at as a historically accurate record of events during those times.

Well I would think so, it's only been around a couple thousand years.

It is also looked at as a historically accurate record of events during those times.

Perhaps by bible historians, but any serious historian is going to take the events recorded with a big grain of salt without physical evidence, as with any other document.

Perhaps by bible historians, but any serious historian is going to take the events recorded with a big grain of salt without physical evidence, as with any other document.

Most historians don't have a problem with sequence of events and a lot of other things in the bible. There are really only a few sticking points that they don't agree on, unfortunately (for them, not so unfortunate for the rest of us).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest WyattEarp

some great replies, wish I could of thought of some of the responses in here, but I'm not too great at on the fly thinking when it comes to debating something with someone face to face. not one of my strengths, mind usually goes blank.

Wyatt -

A few things come to mind. First of all, you have been a believer and you say "I'm not well versed enough in the Bible." Dude, what have you been doing all these years? I never understand this about my brothers in the faith! Make the Word your life! Read it, listen to it and study it and don't take anyone's word for any doctrine. Find it out for yourself! It looks like you are doing this, though. So good job!

You must also understand the doctrine of "free will." In order for God to give man free will he must allow one to hurt another. Fair? No, but everyone has hurt someone at some point. So, knowing that men may choose to hurt me, and that God will allow them except for certains time where He divinely interverns, which I believe he does and has many times in my life, I choose as to defend myself. And what kind of man of God would I be if I allowed through my own neglegence someone to hurt my family?

In terms of turning the other cheek, not repaying an eye for an eye, those are completely fales arguments for someone defending themselves. I bet this guy you spoke to, if someone was breaking into his house, he would call the Police. So it is okay for someone else to carry a gun to protect him on his behalf, though he himself will not. Maybe if HE had faith, he would just let the criminals have their way and do nothing about it. I doubt it. Defending yourself, and carrying a weapon does not nullify or contradict your faith.

short term memory problems suck. studying, working, i read when I can, but I just don't get a lot of free time these days.

thanks for you post, very insightful.

Do what you feel, not to step on anyone's toes but you don't know who wrote what in the bible or who decided something should be altered. To say "when its my time, its my time." And just give up isn't very wise, the choices we make decide our time on this earth, make good choices and better your chances, like they say "always be prepared".

Do what you feel, not to step on anyone's toes but you don't know who wrote what in the bible or who decided something should be altered. To say "when its my time, its my time." And just give up isn't very wise, the choices we make decide our time on this earth, make good choices and better your chances, like they say "always be prepared".

We know this - our choosing to have faith requires the basic platform of trusting that God inspired the men to write the word's, and guided their thoughts by His Holy Spirit. To a non-believer, it is difficult to accept, much less apply.

But what convinces us followers is more than just reading and blindly accepting. It is a function of our experience.

A year or so back, over dinner, out of the blue (and changing topic of the conversation), a visiting friend asked "Do you receive feedback?". My response - "huh?". He said, "do you get response to your prayers from God Himself?"

My reply - "Of course I do! Otherwise it would be a waste of time and breath!"

Edited by R_Bert

Why is it that those of you who don't believe aren't just content to say "I don't believe in God", but you find it necessary to ridicule those of us who do by calling our faith "mythology", "myth", and "make believe"?

Do you really think that's conducive to a rational discussion?

Why is it that those of you who don't believe aren't just content to say "I don't believe in God", but you find it necessary to ridicule those of us who do by calling our faith "mythology", "myth", and "make believe"?

Do you really think that's conducive to a rational discussion?

I would add : Why are non believers so adamant to prove something doesn't exist than believers are to prove it DOES.

I'd say fear, but that'll start another fight.;)

Why is it that those of you who don't believe aren't just content to say "I don't believe in God", but you find it necessary to ridicule those of us who do by calling our faith "mythology", "myth", and "make believe"?...

I didn't say I don't "believe in God"; nor did my declarative statement constitute personal ridicule, unless you choose to construe it as such.

I would add : Why are non believers so adamant to prove something doesn't exist than believers are to prove it DOES.

I'd say fear, but that'll start another fight.;)

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof, not the lack of such claims.

I'd submit that fear of the unknown is a primary foundation of theism, not the reason for skepticism thereof.

- OS

Guest WyattEarp

alright guys, this is not a discussion about the validity or invalidity of an existence of a Higher Power. If you are a believer, that's great. If you're not, that's your choice. let's try and keep it on topic please. thank you. ;)

Some interesting responses in here - but in regards to the Bible being historically accurrate, or having any "evidence." If you have any interest of pursuing those thoughts with an open mind, I suggest reading "Evidence that Demands a Verdict" by Josh McDowell. In this book he has documented countless verifications of historical and archeological evidences. Stuff they don't teach in public school.

Guest spoolie
alright guys, this is not a discussion about the validity or invalidity of an existence of a Higher Power. If you are a believer, that's great. If you're not, that's your choice. let's try and keep it on topic please. thank you. ;)

You started this in "off topic" sir.

Guest 73challenger
Some interesting responses in here - but in regards to the Bible being historically accurrate, or having any "evidence." If you have any interest of pursuing those thoughts with an open mind, I suggest reading "Evidence that Demands a Verdict" by Josh McDowell. In this book he has documented countless verifications of historical and archeological evidences. Stuff they don't teach in public school.

I would suggest reading "The Case for Christ" by Lee Strobel. It's a great read for believers and non believers alike. A lawyer wrote it after investigating it like a crime. It's very good.

Guest 73challenger

35 Then Jesus asked them, “When I sent you without purse, bag or sandals, did you lack anything?”

“Nothing,” they answered.

36 He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. 37 It is written: ‘And he was numbered with the transgressors’[b]; and I tell you that this must be fulfilled in me. Yes, what is written about me is reaching its fulfillment.”

38 The disciples said, “See, Lord, here are two swords.”

“That’s enough!” he replied.

Luke 22:35-38

I read a very good commentary once about this passage. The author stated that the "sword" could be better translated as dagger. That a dagger was something that was carried when traveling between villages to protect themselves from thieves. I think Jesus was making sure the disciples knew that he wasn't calling them to a uprising. Because, after all a rebellion is what people thought the Messiah was coming to do. That Jesus and/or the Messiah was coming to make Israel a Sovereign country and free them from Rome. I also think that this can be seen when Peter pulls out his sword and cuts the guard's ear off. He didn't want to oppose the soldiers because he needed to die. However Peter just having the sword says something. Jesus knew he was caring it, and had not told him otherwise. I think those two things are a justification for self defense.

Guest Chattanoogan

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. - John 15:13

By these words our Lord shows, how far love to another should extend, even to the laying down of our lives for the brethren; which is the highest instance of love among men

This is one of my favorite verses, its been my signature here since I signed up.

I would suggest reading "The Case for Christ" by Lee Strobel. It's a great read for believers and non believers alike. A lawyer wrote it after investigating it like a crime. It's very good.

It is indeed a good read, and well footnoted. Written by an atheist (who was converted as a result of the research, and from observations of his wife in her new found faith). If you ever get the chance to hear him speak, do so, Christian or not. He is a fascinating speaker.