Impulse purchase - Mosin

cybernorris

Walked through the new Dunham Sports in Tullahoma to discover they have a decent looking gun section (but no handguns). Looking at their list of current sales, noticed an item for just $89.99 ... Listed as a vintage M91-30. Not seeing anything looking vintage in the cabinets, I asked. They just got a delivery, but needed to see how many would be claimed by rain checks.

One of the first rules of sales is to let the customer handle the merchandise. The next thing I knew they were handing me a well oiled Mosin. I recently made a. If sale myself and just happened to have an extra hundred in the wallet. So a bit of paperwork and an hour later, my car had a new (used) gun smell.

I'm a handgun guy. This is my first long gun purchase. My only significant long gun experience was provided by Uncle Sam nearly 20 years ago. Tomorrow I'll pull it out and check markings.

Gotta find ammo. Do I need to get it checked before firing? Any other tips for a Mosin virgin?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to tear it down and degrease it first. They can from time to time have some of that lovely cosmoline in the barrel. Do a complete field strip (instructions found in countless locations on the interwebs) and soak the parts in some sort of degreaser (I used Mineral Spirits) then oil and reassemble. Some Mosins can have the cosmoline so soaked into their stocks that you need to heat the stock up and let it ooze out, I haven't found this to be the case with mine, but I hear it can happen. Ammo is readily available, I usually pay about 7$ for a pack of $20, this is corrosive ammo. After shooting the corrosive stuff you'll need to rinse the barrel and bolt head with some something to counteract the muric salt in the Commie primers. I use windex with ammonia sprayed into the barrel followed by some patches. After the windex, clean normally with solvent and then oil the barrel. Hope this helps, did it come with the bayonet and tools??

-a

You need to tear it down and degrease it first. They can from time to time have some of that lovely cosmoline in the barrel. Do a complete field strip (instructions found in countless locations on the interwebs) and soak the parts in some sort of degreaser (I used Mineral Spirits) then oil and reassemble. Some Mosins can have the cosmoline so soaked into their stocks that you need to heat the stock up and let it ooze out, I haven't found this to be the case with mine, but I hear it can happen. Ammo is readily available, I usually pay about 7$ for a pack of $20, this is corrosive ammo. After shooting the corrosive stuff you'll need to rinse the barrel and bolt head with some something to counteract the muric salt in the Commie primers. I use windex with ammonia sprayed into the barrel followed by some patches. After the windex, clean normally with solvent and then oil the barrel. Hope this helps, did it come with the bayonet and tools??

-a

what he said plus boiling hot water run down barrel and over bolt after use.

what he said plus boiling hot water run down barrel and over bolt after use.

Yep, the surplus ammo is corrosive. It needs a good thorough cleaning after being shot. Don't dwell on it for a couple of days either or you'll be dealing with rust.

The kick is not as bad as people say. I fire about 100rounds per trip to the range. Bajubuc was a couple lanes down one of the times I was at the range with my m44, I was told that day that the noise is pretty loud for the people around you. Have fun, it is a great fun gun to shoot and cheap as well.

Dunham's was out of ammo. They sold nearly 20 in their grand opening week. I'll deal with the ammo problem in another week or two. It will probably Next week before I even have time to open the box. I'm not even sure where I can shoot other than the range. North of Manchester.

Yesterday was the last day of the sale. I think regular price might be $119.

Also because they are a new seller, TBI has them on some type of probation period so they can't call in background checks after 4pm.

Kinda bummed. Netflix doesn't have Enemy At The Gates available to stream.

Hey guys,

I am also from Murfreesboro (south of Nashville) and have been thinking of picking up a mosin just because its a cheap platform. I don't have extensive long gun experience, though I have shot .308 win. Where's the best place to find Mosins? Do I need to just stop in the various gun stores and ask if they have any? I'll be down at Outpost Armory next week so I guess I'll see if they have any. ImpactGuns.com has some, but between shipping, FFL fee, etc., that route ends up pretty expensive for a "cheap" platform :D

Someone previously mentioned in the thread about finding a range... anyone know of any good ranges in the area? I've shot at On Target indoors, but not sure if they allow 7.62x54....

Thanks

Hey guys,

I am also from Murfreesboro (south of Nashville) and have been thinking of picking up a mosin just because its a cheap platform. I don't have extensive long gun experience, though I have shot .308 win. Where's the best place to find Mosins? Do I need to just stop in the various gun stores and ask if they have any? I'll be down at Outpost Armory next week so I guess I'll see if they have any. ImpactGuns.com has some, but between shipping, FFL fee, etc., that route ends up pretty expensive for a "cheap" platform :cry:

Someone previously mentioned in the thread about finding a range... anyone know of any good ranges in the area? I've shot at On Target indoors, but not sure if they allow 7.62x54....

Thanks

I drive 30mins from Nashville to shoot at Charile Hafner's Memorial Range (he allows Pistols, Rifles, Shotguns, whatever)... As for where to find a Mosin, I know for a fact that Nashville Sporting Arms off Charolette has 4 or 5, Franklin Gun Shops has some, but I wouldn't give those guys my money...