Shoot or No Shoot.

Guest Chattanoogan

Guest Chattanoogan

Read a story this morning about a guy who was jogging on Missionary Ridge here in Chattanooga, when he was attacked by a dog.

My question is, had this guy been a HCP holder and shot the dog, would it have been justified. Also in such a situation, after said person shot the dog, how do you deal with the irate owner of said dog?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Chattanoogan

Ok, youve answered the first part of the question.... Now the second part....

This wasnt in the news article I read, im only speculating...

Say youve shot the dog in self defense, its a legal, clean shoot, but the dogs owner comes running out and is madder than three-legged cat trying to bury turds on a frozen pond, and is coming torwards you verbally threatening you but has no weapon. What can you do? You cant shoot him obviously, and you cant leave to defuse the situation, you need to be there when the police arrive to say what happened... So what can you do?

Say youve shot the dog in self defense, its a legal, clean shoot, but the dogs owner comes running out and is madder than three-legged cat trying to bury turds on a frozen pond, and is coming torwards you verbally threatening you but has no weapon. What can you do? You cant shoot him obviously, and you cant leave to defuse the situation, you need to be there when the police arrive to say what happened... So what can you do?

Listen to him rant and rave till the police get there.

Guest twpayne75

I would tell him the police have been notified and should arrive shortly. As long as he was just running his mouth I would let him rant and I would say nothing. No point in getting him more wound up if you don't have to. If he has a weapon or the ability to use deadly force, then lay him next to the pooch. Maybe they will be reunited in heaven, or not.

But you are right. You shouldn't leave. And I'm pretty sure every city has a leash law.

If you shoot the guys dog because he was attacking you, that's OK. If the owner charges you, run. If you can outrun him you have just saved yourself a lot of trouble. If you can't, then you have to do something else. You do not have to be there when the police arrive, if you are being chased.

It also depends on what kind of dog attacks you. I have a very vicious Pekinese but I wouldn't shoot him if he attacked me.

I would tell him the police have been notified and should arrive shortly. As long as he was just running his mouth I would let him rant and I would say nothing. No point in getting him more wound up if you don't have to. If he has a weapon or the ability to use deadly force, then lay him next to the pooch. Maybe they will be reunited in heaven, or not.

But you are right. You shouldn't leave. And I'm pretty sure every city has a leash law.

There is actually a state law that says dogs aren't supposed roam at large. T.C.A. 44-8-408

Yeah, you're not diffusing a situation if you just shot someone's dog. Wait for the police. If the guy is acting in a threatening manner attempt to remove yourself from the situation, however, I would assume that since you just displayed your willingness to use a firearm the owner probably isn't going to do anything stupid. Besides, the police would probably be there pretty quick after a firearm being discharged.

Guest Chattanoogan
I have a very vicious Pekinese but I wouldn't shoot him if he attacked me.

Ankle Biters Excluded....lol

Thanks for all the input, just something I was thinking about today after reading the news story... Here it is if anyone is interested.

10/27/2011 - Witnesses Say "Sweetie" Swooped Down From "The Castle" To Bite Jogger - Breaking News - Chattanoogan.com

Also for the record, im an animal lover and have a dog of my own, I would think twice before shooting one.

Yeah, you're not diffusing a situation if you just shot someone's dog. Wait for the police. If the guy is acting in a threatening manner attempt to remove yourself from the situation, however, I would assume that since you just displayed your willingness to use a firearm the owner probably isn't going to do anything stupid. Besides, the police would probably be there pretty quick after a firearm being discharged.

I agree that the owner will not attack you physically just after you shot his dog in self defense but there are other possibilities to consider.

1) First thing I would I do while jogging and encounter a charging dog would be to hit the high gear and out run it. I have personal experience since I jog in my neighborhood regularly and so many let their dogs out in the morning. If you get a big dog then kick the crap out of it in the ribs before he gets too close but if he bites you then you are in fear of serious injury.

2)In my neck of the woods an irate dog owner knowing you just shot his dog could come at you with his shotgun then it's not going to end well.

3) I DON'T carry while jogging.

The only time in my life that I've had to discharge a pistol in self defense was at a charging dog. I had a little time, so i just blew a hole in the ground about two feet in front of him. Not sure if it was the bang, or the dirt hitting him in the face, but he went the other direction.

That was close to 30 years ago. The pistol was the one in my avatar.

Attack as in inflict wound, draw blood? I would think the dog would have to be large enough to inflict great harm. I don't see how you could justify shooting a mouse hound or other smaller dog unless it appeared rabid. I kicked a mouse hound one time when he sneaked up behind me and nipped, drawing blood. Just parts of the equation I would use.

oldogy

Small dog, or something that is not known for aggressiveness, I'll try and scare them off. Most of the time you can yell as a dog and it will back down (I don't mean scream, I mean yell and is "go home" or "stop" or something. Give it a command). Now if its a known aggreessive dog, I'll still try that but will be bringing the gun down to bear at the same time.

Guest msparks

1) First thing I would I do while jogging and encounter a charging dog would be to hit the high gear and out run it. I have personal experience since I jog in my neighborhood regularly and so many let their dogs out in the morning.

You have experience running 20+ mph? I'd like to see that.

I've been on a bicycle doing 25 and have a dog come up beside me and hang for a while. I would image it could top out over 30 if it wanted too.

If you can get your outrunning a dog on video I would like to see it.

You have experience running 20+ mph? I'd like to see that.

I've been on a bicycle doing 25 and have a dog come up beside me and hang for a while. I would image it could top out over 30 if it wanted too.

If you can get your outrunning a dog on video I would like to see it.

I do not think that I run 20 mph but I have not been bitten yet. I just ignore them and they bark, look aggressive then just loose interest just like your experience on a bicycle.

Guest sqlightning
Attack as in inflict wound, draw blood? I would think the dog would have to be large enough to inflict great harm. I don't see how you could justify shooting a mouse hound or other smaller dog unless it appeared rabid. I kicked a mouse hound one time when he sneaked up behind me and nipped, drawing blood. Just parts of the equation I would use.

oldogy

I believe the equation is to shoot if you would not be able to kick the dog more than 4' away from you and punt it if you can get it over 4' from you

A Great Moment In Movie History - YouTube

btw, i own 4 dogs so i would think twice about it also

Edited by sqlightning
wrong link
Guest msparks
I do not think that I run 20 mph but I have not been bitten yet. I just ignore them and they bark, look aggressive then just loose interest just like your experience on a bicycle.

I've ridden thousands of miles on back roads of TN. About every road has a loose dog. When riding with others I'm amazed at the fear other riders have. I've seen people crash, swerve into the other lane, and all kinds of things. I've been stricken by panic when a dog as startled me but never been bit. I normally just yell at it and either pull my water bottle and squirt it or something like that. One time I was coming up a big hill, in the granny gear maybe doing 7 mph. the dog came after me and I stopped and put the bike between me an the dog. Then I yelled for it to get home and pulled my water bottle, after I stopped he decided it wasn't fun anymore and turned around.

The uncontrollable fear people have of dogs is crazy. If a dog wants to tango with me he better be prepared to get the hell beat out of it. I'm not afraid of dogs.

Guest Joker86

Could you not just distance yourself from the owner? Until the police arrived?

Im originally from LA, and know people who have shot dogs in self defense on their property. Nothing bad happened except angry neighbors.

Guest Chattanoogan
+1. If you're going to carry a firearm, you should also carry pepper spray.

Yep, been entertaining that idea here lately.... Maybe one of those big cans of bear repellant..Ill hang it on my belt...lol