Park Bill not dead? HB0132

I think this bill may have been forgotten about. I was watching the budget subcommitee of the FW&M committee before the Criminal Practice committee came on. There is a state park carry bill that is still alive and kicking. It's already been passed through the Criminal Practice and Judicary. Anyone know what it means when it says it was taken off notice?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"taken off notice" means it has been removed from the list of bills to consider by that committee. Several possible reasons, mostly involving the sponsor pulling it, or another committee killing it. Its generally a bad sign if you are in favor of a bill.

Guest Parkranger

I certainly hope that this bill does not pass. I really do not think that there is a need to carry a pistol onto a state park. This will just make things more difficult for our law enforcement rangers when dealing with upset guests, who sometimes are very drunk, and possibly armed.

Some parks have community service workers and even state prisoners that perform work for the site's benefit. It would be a shame should one of these folks break into a car that happens to have a pistol laying in the seat, or glove compartment.

Edited by Parkranger
Guest clutepc
I certainly hope that this bill does not pass. There is no reason for anyone to carry a pistol on a state park. In fact, at the park where I work, I do not carry because of community service workers and state prisoners that do work for the park's benefit.

I think you'll hear a lot of different views on this, and I agree no one should have to carry in a state park, the problem is I think too many of the wrong types already do..

I've been at the Anderson rd. state park on the lake not far from my house and had to deal with gun fire in the park at night. So someone is carrying, the police did show up.

15 minutes later just doesn't do it if it's you they're shooting at.

Needless to say, I don't feel safe at that park, so I don't go, then again now I don't fish at any of the parks at night.

Sad really.

:D

Edited by clutepc
Guest SUNTZU
I certainly hope that this bill does not pass. There is no reason for anyone to carry a pistol on a state park. In fact, at the park where I work, I do not carry because of community service workers and state prisoners that do work for the park's benefit.

Because crime doesn't happen in the park? Because criminals don't go to the park? Why? State prisoners never escape?

I certainly hope that this bill does not pass. I really do not think that there is a need to carry a pistol onto a state park. This will just make things more difficult for our law enforcement rangers when dealing with upset guests, who sometimes are very drunk, and possibly armed.

Some parks have community service workers and even state prisoners that perform work for the site's benefit. It would be a shame should one of these folks break into a car that happens to have a pistol laying in the seat, or glove compartment.

Can you tell me where the places are that anyone "needs" to carry?

How will it make it any more difficult for law enforcement rangers than any other type of law enforcement? What about the fact that carry is more than likely soon to be allowed in National parks?

If this bill was to pass my firearm would be on my person, not in my car. In certain circumstances it is already legal to have it in your car, seems it would be safer in the prisoner scenario to have it on me than in the car.

Guest Abominable_Hillbilly

You decide what you need, and I'll decide what I need. So long as my need doesn't interfere with your liberty, you have no right to restrict my liberty.

Have thieves never taken guns from a private residence? Would you suggest, then, that firearms be forbidden in private residences?

If I'm ever allowed to legally pack in state parks, my gun will not be lying in my car.

Edited by Abominable_Hillbilly
Guest Parkranger

What I just stated is my opinion, and I stand by that. I can see right now that I made a mistake in joining this forum.

What about the fact that carry is more than likely soon to be allowed in National parks?

Unfortunately, I'm afraid this will also fall in TWRA's lap, just like carry in the National Forest. TWRA likes our money, but they don't like the Second Amendment.

What I just stated is my opinion, and I stand by that. I can see right now that I made a mistake in joining this forum.

Only if you can't discuss a topic with people that have an different opinion than you and also choose to state theirs.

My opinion would be that your mistake is in holding a view that you are not prepared to adequately defend.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid this will also fall in TWRA's lap, just like carry in the National Forest. TWRA likes our money, but they don't like the Second Amendment.

Oh I agree it looks like what they are going to is follow the state law for where the National Park is, which leaves TN out of luck for now. But it will be allowed in some states as it is already allowed in some other states' parks now. So how hard is for those rangers, and why can't their procedures be adapted for TN rangers?

Oh I agree it looks like what they are going to is follow the state law for where the National Park is, which leaves TN out of luck for now. But it will be allowed in some states as it is already allowed in some other states' parks now. So how hard is for those rangers, and why can't their procedures be adapted for TN rangers?

I hear all sorts of things. Poaching is the usual excuse. I'd be interested in seeing incidents of poaching in states that allow and disallow the carrying of arms.

Guest clutepc

I don't think you made a mistake, this forum and many like it always have different views on many topics.

I think that's one of things that make it as good as it is.

You will hear strong opinions on every topic but that opens up wide range views and lets everyone hear all sides of a discussion.

Spend some more time looking around and I think you'll see some great information.

Edited by clutepc
Guest GLOCKGUY

are you for real? i hope this does get passed so i can go to the parks with my family and feel safe i know i dont now im always looking over my shoulders. the park rangers are not every where just the cops are not every where

Guest dotsun

Nice troll run, then. By all means take your toys and go home if you can't take a little heat. :D And btw, facts will get you a lot farther than just spewing baseless opinions.

This will just make things more difficult for our law enforcement rangers when dealing with upset guests, who sometimes are very drunk, and possibly armed.

These types of people are already armed in state parks, we just want the good guys to have a chance to defend themselves. IF you are a ranger, I don't understand your opposition to the bill. From a law-enforcement perspective, I WANT the good guys to be armed. My chief even does CCW classes.

Paul

So, you think that this law prevents people who don't care about the law to begin with, from carrying a pistol into state parks?

You are mistaken, sir. There are already plenty of laws which prescribe punishment for people like that (carrying while under the influence, for instance)... forcing people who respect the law to be defenseless from those who do not is pathetic, especially if that is based on an opinion and not evidence that people who have gone to the trouble of complying with the state in order to get a carry permit will be more irresponsible with their weapons because of their location. :D

This bill isn't about determining 'need' for us, it is to allow us to provide for our own needs, in accordance with state policy... Not because humans need any official permission to defend ourselves, but because good people desire to do the right thing with regard to the law.

If the state would come up with a list of where I do and don't need to protect myself, please, I would be more than happy to only go where I am sure to never be at risk... can you or anyone else assure me that I will never have to look out for myself and family on state property?

Guest tcampbell

I don't really have a need or desire to use the state parks for anything. Being that I can't carry there is even less of a reason for me to go. Like everyone else has said..BG's carry everywhere. I wouldn't count on a park ranger coming to my rescue.

The most visited state park in Tennessee is Warrior's Path at Kingsport. In the past several years, they have had a murder in the park, another murder just feet from the park boundary and a prisoner on work detail in the park escape and accost a woman in her home near the park. We have seen a murder in Bristol's Steel Creek Park and attempted rapes at Kingsport's beltway walking trail park.

It seems to me that there is ample reason to carry at all state and municipal parks in Tennessee. The simple fact is that people who obtain handgun carry permits are good citizens and are not a problem. The bad guys ignore the silly signs and laws against carry in the parks and everywhere else. Forcing good citizens to not protect themselves against thugs is just mindless and terrible public policy.

Guest tjbert47

If you don't trust honest law abiding citizens to carry firearms any and everywhere they go I'd say you are right with that statement. :)

Guest clutepc

Personally I don't understand why the Park Rangers aren't already armed.

I wouldn't want that job unless I could carry.

The world is what it is and it's time that the politicians stop thinking we don't need the right to protect ourselves.

These types of laws are only benefiting the criminals because they don't care what the sign says.