California Assembly to Consider Severe Restrictions on Ammunition Sales

I'm new here, so let me apologize if this is posted in the wrong place. I post a CA issue because it tends to trickle this way eventually, *and* it approaches my feeling that they realize that taking away the AMMO is the way around Constitutional issues.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - As seen on NRA-ILA

Stand Up and Make Your Voice Heard Today!

On Tuesday, April 8, the Assembly Public Safety Committee will consider legislation that would require gun owners to obtain a “permit-to-purchase†before buying handgun ammunition.

Introduced by State Assembly Member Kevin De Leon (D-45), Assembly Bill 2062 puts ammunition sales in the crosshairs. AB2062 would require that law-abiding gun owners obtain a permit to buy handgun ammunition and would impose severe restrictions on the private transfers of handgun ammunition. Applicants for a “permit-to-purchase†would be required to submit to a background check, pay a $35 fee, and wait as long as 30 days to receive the permit.

Under AB2062, it would be unlawful to privately transfer more than 50 rounds of ammunition per month, even between family and friends, unless you are registered as a “handgun ammunition vendor†in the Department of Justice’s database. Ammunition retailers would have to be licensed and store ammunition in such a manner that it would be inaccessible to purchasers. The bill would also require vendors to keep a record of the transaction including the ammunition buyer’s name, driver’s license, the quantity, caliber and type of ammunition purchased, and right thumbprint, which would be submitted to the Department of Justice or the number of his handgun ammunition purchase permit. Vendors would be required to contact the purchase permit database, to verify the validity of a permit before completing a sale. All ammunition sales in the State of California would be subject to a $3 per transaction tax. Lastly, mail order ammunition sales would be prohibited. Any violator of AB2062 would be subject to civil fines.

Please contact the members of the Assembly Public Safety Committee and your State Assembly Member TODAY and respectfully urge them to oppose this onerous attack on our Second Amendment freedoms. Contact information for the committee members can be found below. Please click here to find your State Assembly Member.

State Assembly Member Jose Solorio (D-69), Chair

(916) 319-2069

Assemblymember.solorio@assembly.ca.gov

State Assembly Member Greg Aghazarian, (R-26), Vice Chair

(916) 319-2026

Assemblymember.aghazarian@assembly.ca.gov

State Assembly Member Joel Anderson (R-77)

(916) 319-2077

Assemblymember.Anderson@assembly.ca.gov

State Assembly Member Hector De La Torre (D-50)

(916) 319-2050

Assemblymember.DeLaTorre@assembly.ca.gov

State Assembly Member Fiona Ma (D-12)

(916) 319-2012

Assemblymember.Ma@assembly.ca.gov

State Assembly Member Anthony J. Portantino (D-44)

(916) 319-2044

Assemblymember.Portantino@assembly.ca.gov

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It isn't even a "feel good" measure. It's just plain stupid. How can you possibly monitor something like that? And since surrounding states dont have any restrictions at all how hard is it going to be to drive across the state line and load up?

I think its the air or water or something out there. Does something to the brain.

Guest nj.piney

new jersey enacted that law somewhere around 1975, the only ammunition you could buy without it was 22 cal . same permit was required for the purchase of an air rifle or bb gun . the permit was an i.d. card .

Edited by nj.piney
It isn't even a "feel good" measure. It's just plain stupid.

It’s a tax dressed in “crime prevention†or “anti-gun†clothing.

$35 per person and $3 per transfer…. That’s some serious loot.

Guest darkstar

How long until the Memphis legislative contingent tries to foist this crap off on Tennesse? or King Jimmy? Like DRM said this kind of stuff trickles down and it's just a matter of time before some chucklehead tries this crap, you know they are pissed their ammo accountability bill failed last week.

Guest darkstar
Im not much worried about it.There is just to many shooters here in the south to say no to that

Yeah, but if King Jimmy wants it he will pull another one like last week and personally go to the committe and vote it down

Guest CrazyLincoln
I think its the air or water or something out there. Does something to the brain.

Its the mercury gas seeping from their soon to be mandatory CFL bulbs.

Guest darkstar
Even Jimmy Naifeh cannot single handedly push something like this upon us.

I seriously doubt this will come to fruition, maybe in the land of fruits and nuts, but not here.

I just don't trust that guy at all, it would not surprise me to see him at least try it. Add to the fact they could possibly extort...ahem, I mean add some revenue generation to it and look out....when it comes to a money grab all bets are off, looked like some of the co-sponsors of that Cal. bill were republicans

Even Jimmy Naifeh cannot single handedly push something like this upon us.

I seriously doubt this will come to fruition, maybe in the land of fruits and nuts, but not here.

Feel free to think that - but I'd caution you be very careful about ignoring the issue and assuming it "can't" happen here.

Attacking our ammo *is* the next front... trust me and my crystal ball on this one.

Feel free to think that - but I'd caution you be very careful about ignoring the issue and assuming it "can't" happen here.

Attacking our ammo *is* the next front... trust me and my crystal ball on this one.

I'd trust my own crystal ball here. And mine says that no serious gun control measure has ever passed this legislature, and this sure isn't going to. That doesnt mean some retard from Memphis wont jump all over it and think it's a great idea. Just that the reps here are reliably pro-gun and won't go for it.

I'd trust my own crystal ball here. And mine says that no serious gun control measure has ever passed this legislature, and this sure isn't going to. That doesnt mean some retard from Memphis wont jump all over it and think it's a great idea. Just that the reps here are reliably pro-gun and won't go for it.

*This* legislation? Sure - I think it would be shot down quickly... today. But that isn't what I'm predicting... I am predicting that ammo will be the next big target they gun grabbers will go after - because it is not protected by the 2nd, and is an obvious "back door" to get a very similar end result (in their view).

Propositions like this get seeded in CA, then stepped down versions start to bloom elsewhere... and it grows... and grows...