Springfield Model 1873!

MrBrian

My Trapdoor finally came yesterday! Now I'm just not sure about shooting it. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to make sure a gun is safe to shoot.... I know the only true way is to have it x-rayed to make sure it doesn't have any damage... but is there any general rules of thumb?

Also, since this is a gun from the 1880s, is it only suppose to shoot black powder? I don't know anybody that hand loads (except hickok45) so I don't know the best place to get black powder 45-70 ammo. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there that shoot older rifles, so any recommendations as to what brand of ammo, or where to purchase this ammo would be appreciated. I'll upload pictures soon!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok...I have to come shoot that. I WANT ONE SO BAD!

I would take it to a gunsmith and ask him about it. How bright is the bore?

And I am pretty sure you can't use modern loads like what you would put in a marlin guide gun, although I don't think they have to be blackpowder only.

Well I know that Doyle Sweeney at Hearthstone Guns on Snapps Ferry has a lot of experience in guns. He had an 1874 trapdoor in there about 6 months ago but he sold it before i could get the funds. :(

He normally inspects the guns he gets before he sells them, to make sure they will function.

It's a neat store. He has animals mounted all around the store, and has vintage lever action rifles hanging all around the beams.

He carries different stuff...he's not one to push heavily one brand or another. He has several AKs, shotguns, rifles. He has an assortment of pistols.

He gets alot of people that trade in old or odd things. If I am looking for something old, he usually has it.

There is also a woman there that works on bows and sells them.

My Trapdoor finally came yesterday! Now I'm just not sure about shooting it. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to make sure a gun is safe to shoot.... I know the only true way is to have it x-rayed to make sure it doesn't have any damage... but is there any general rules of thumb?

Also, since this is a gun from the 1880s, is it only suppose to shoot black powder? I don't know anybody that hand loads (except hickok45) so I don't know the best place to get black powder 45-70 ammo. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there that shoot older rifles, so any recommendations as to what brand of ammo, or where to purchase this ammo would be appreciated. I'll upload pictures soon!

It's very difficult to find flaws via X-ray when you don't already know where to look. A good option is a thorough external visual inspection with a strong flashlight and a 10x magnifier, and a lighted bore scope down the barrel by someone who knows what to look for. Fluorescent penetrant inspection is also a good idea... aerosol kits are available. Magnetic particle inspection is the big thing now with rifle barrels. While not the catch-all some seem to portray it as, it's a very good inspection method. It takes specialized equipment.

about 70 grains of 2f. If all you can find are modern loads...get a bullet puller... one of those Lyman hammer types...and pull the bullets. pour out the smokeless and load 70 grains of 2ff. you should be able to push the bullets back in the case by thumb. since you don't have to worry about "other" cartridges in a magazine you don't really have to worry about jarring a bullet lose. The Indians used to "handload" like that all the time. Remember...they're nortorious for jamming.

Edited by bajabuc
comment
  • 2 weeks later...