I'm eating a HEEPING HELPING of Humble Pie

Guest G22DaD

Guys, I took part in a training class designed for the next level above the HCP course. This course was hosted by a local gun shop in Ridge Top. Now, by no means am I saying that I thought I was Mr. Mack Daddy of the pistol... But, I thought was... maybe a little better... than I actually am.

This course's focus was to introduce some of the conditions of self defense senerios, and training excersises to practice to perform within these conditions... such as low light, and point shooting, and shooting on the move.

I did alright in the precision shooting, and point shooting in normal light, and shooting on the move. I stayed pretty much in the 9 and 10 ring. But, dude... when it came to point shooting in low light... I got my BUTT handed to me!! To the point I was embarrased to be there. I threw more than just a few rounds outside the sillouette target. See, when I train... I consider the liability of missing my target. When I'm out of the black, that round may hit an innocent bystander in a real life situation.

My instructor was puzzled...real puzzled! He was suggesting that maybe, it was all stressed induced as to why I tossed so many round in that particular stage. It was only one stage that sucked THAT bad... but it was such a wake up call, I can't even explain it.

So, while I may be licking my wounds for now, I'll make my way back to the woodshed and work even harder to turn my worst weakness into my greatest strength.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we don't identify our weaknesses we cannot grow and develop. I would not be upset if anything this is a victory as you have now found a fundamental area you need to improve. To be honest with you that puts you well ahead of the curve, especially since you recognize it and are taking actions to correct it.

I give you one big atta’ boy and a gold star.:)

Trust me, I have "been there, done that". After close to a week on flat range work everyone on the team was shooting nice tight groups to include the shoot house than we went limited visibility without Nods, and it was extremely humbling. Once again it showed me another area I need more work. Keep practicing. And as I'm always telling myself, "front sight,front sight!"

Perhaps you were unconsciously trying to go faster in the dark. I recall reading a study about people's driving habits based on time of day and in bad weather. The results were interesting... basically they determined that when you take the speedometer away, people drive noticeably faster in the dark or bad weather than they do during the day. Even though they may be trying to go slower, without the speedometer as feedback, they actually went faster. The explanation for this behavior was that the reduced visibility in the dark or bad weather also reduced people's perception of speed.

At the last course I took, we had a 'grand finale' drill that included shooting on the move, cover, reloads, and friend or foe targets. They're the kind where the instructor tapes an overlay onto the subject's hands...could be a gun, could be a cell phone. You don't know til you engage and look closely.

I shot some poor hippie-looking dude in the face 3 times for pointing a beer bottle at me...EPIC FAIL!

I feel your pain bro.

Were you using a flashlight in that low light, & are you referring to point shooting as in without using the sights?
No. And yes about the point shooting.

"I shot some poor hippie-looking dude in the face 3 times for pointing a beer bottle at me...EPIC FAIL!" But, you had to laugh... just a little, right BigK? :poop:

monkeylizard

"Who is the course offered through? It sounds interesting." At a gun shop called Guns and Leather in Ridge Top.

And a BIG thanks to all y'all for the encouragement. This is a really cool forum!

"I shot some poor hippie-looking dude in the face 3 times for pointing a beer bottle at me...EPIC FAIL!" But, you had to laugh... just a little, right BigK? ;)

The instructor said, "hey, you just killed a guy with a beer bottle in his hand".

I asked him, 'since he's a hippie, it don't count, right'.

Besides he was obviously high on something or he wouldn't have pointed a beer bottle at a guy with a gun.

Were you shooting high during the point shooting? I had the same thing when trying to shoot a glock. Switched to S&W and it cured my problem. The grip angle was throwing me off. I practice point shooting more than I do anything else. I'm not great but I put about far more on target than miss. I used to try to blow the center out of the target but realized odds are I'm never going to have that much time to acquire my sights.

I actually performed opposite in low-light. I would consistently put way more rounds down the range and got way better groupings than I normally did.

Don't worry though. You're on the right track, bud.

Amateurs train until they get it right; professionals train until they get it wrong
- Magpul, Art of the Tactical Shotgun/Carbine/Handgun

Backon4,

Yeah, I was shooting high and right. It was a consistant mistake I was making for about 10 shots. The group was right there inside a 6" pocket between the head and shoulder. Wild thing was, I didn't even realize it, nor did my instructor until he brought the lights up. Something was going on with my grip for sure.