Chicken Skin for catfish bait???

Guest USMC 2013

Guest USMC 2013

I was trimming some chicken thighs this morning, wishing I was catfishing or hunting, when I had an idea. Namely, would chicken skin/fat work as catfish bait?

It's tough and would stay on a hook well, so what do you all think? My plan is to season/flavor it with something catfish like to eat and go fishing. Anyone have any thoughts, advice, or maybe done this? All input will be appreciated. I'll post what my plan is for the first batch after I get a few replies. Semper Fi,

Joe

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Semper Fi Brother! I have never used chicken skin for catfishing. I think anything (soap and hot dogs included) will catch them if it "smells" right. Let us all know how it works out. Go to a store that sells candie making supplies and buy some "Anise Oil". That stuff works wonders on catfish!

Guest USMC 2013

My plan is to grind up some shad and "juice" them very thoroughly. Take the juice and pour it into the bags of chicken skin, freeze and defrost when needed for use.

The primary use for this would be when fishing from the bank because this should stay on the hook much better than a 2-3" shad when you fling out a line. I hope to catch a monster this winter with this. Either way though, I will post results after I test it. Semper Fi,

Joe

For catfish use cat food. Have your line tied to a treble hook, cut a 2"X2" square piece of ladies hose stockings, place hook and some canned or dry cat food, mixed works too, in center, fold up and tie.

About anything that stinks will work.

Guest USMC 2013

WD, I have a lot of good places to go with a boat. I had to make some choices and sold my boat this fall so I am jones'n to go fishing right now. If you ever want to go out give me a hollar and maybe we can meet up sometime and figure out if we want to go out on your boat. Semper Fi,

Joe