Comparing different hollow points

Hello,

I am a rookie to bullet design, beyond understanding the basic principles and operation of the HP vs FMJ, soft nose, etc. What I am looking for is (if available) a site or page the compares the effectiveness of various HP bullets. As in, effectiveness based on the shape of the bullet.

For example, my 9mm carry rounds are almost $1/pc and "look" like they would open up more than some hollow points I purchased for about 30 cents a round from USAAmmo. But that's just my opinion based on appearance. Are there standard designs for the shape of the HP, or does every manufacturer vary?

I've seen the articles that compare a couple of chosen bullets, but on a more broad level, can I somehow gauge how a bullet might perform based on the shape of the HP? I ask because while I will keep the expensive stuff in my carry magazine, if the 30-cent stuff is decent, I'll keep a little of it on hand. If it's not really much different than FMJ, then so sense paying the premium...

For reference, this is the particular bullet in question. The product photo rotates every few seconds and one of them shows the bullet real well. 9mm 115 gr. JHP Ammunition Best Prices In Stock#

Thanks!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is some funky looking rounds they do not have a very pronounced creases for expansion. I personally always run with a well know brand. I would also suggest running 50 or more rounds through the carry pistol to be sure they feed correctly. Just my .02 I am sure others will have another opinion.

Check out the Proarms Podcast #23, High Quality for Your Caliber. They talk about what is some of the best cartridges in each caliber based on a number of factors including police reports and data for their shootings.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

There's lots of fancy gimmicks on the market. It's hard to know. It's difficult to breach the subject, but if you know any LEO's involved in shootings, ask about it. Here at home/work I carry a .357 mag loaded with Hornady 140g FTX. The testing I have done show them to be very reliable for expansion and penetration.

When I venture into town, I carry a 9mm loaded with Winchester SXT +P+. They're rough one the ears but they work...period.

Guest JHansonLPN

7 years as an 55b, I can answer with a little bit of confidence. First off, don't try to skimp on your ammo, it is the single most important component of your weapon. Second, the ammo in the link may or not function as you want due to becoming clogged with clothing or debris, and the thin walls of the "hollow" are likely to fragment if it does expand.. I prefer rounds such as the Federal "hydra shok" or Hornady "critical defense" that will not allow the hollow to become filled with anything but soft tissue. My third and favorite design is the Winchester " ranger" or old black talon, due to the narrowed cone and pronounced scoring that prevented clogging and encourage expansion.

Guest vthokies03

JHansonLPN, take a look at the winchesters new pdx1s. Its a bonded bullet, similar to the old black talon. I have seen the expended bullet and it looks WICKED!!

Guest bkelm18
7 years as an 55b, I can answer with a little bit of confidence. First off, don't try to skimp on your ammo, it is the single most important component of your weapon. Second, the ammo in the link may or not function as you want due to becoming clogged with clothing or debris, and the thin walls of the "hollow" are likely to fragment if it does expand.. I prefer rounds such as the Federal "hydra shok" or Hornady "critical defense" that will not allow the hollow to become filled with anything but soft tissue. My third and favorite design is the Winchester " ranger" or old black talon, due to the narrowed cone and pronounced scoring that prevented clogging and encourage expansion.

Not to derail your info, which is good, but the Hydra-Shok is an outdated design and I've seen numerous tests that showed that the cavity would clog up with some types of clothing. A lot of the current ammo today is "bonded", so there's less concern about the copper jacket separating.

I'm a pretty big fan of speer gold dots and ranger T stuff. I especially like the speer short barreled rounds where applicable. I also like the critical defense rounds, especially during winter. I have not done any testing so my choices are based purely on the reading I have been able to do and conversations with the various instructors I've taken classes from. There is also the theory of using what the local police dept uses as a potential way to slightly reduce liability in the event you have to shoot someone. Is that valid? I don't know but it probably wouldn't hurt...

My thoughts are any of the premium ammo produced by the big boys will probably work fine and hold no more liability than others...

Also, the box o truth site has lots of cool and fun info. The Box O' Truth - Ammo Penetration Testing

Mark

I use either 124 gr Speed Gold Dots, Hornady Tap or Winchester Rangers. The 147gr win sxt / hst (can't remember which letters) is also a good performer.

Tnoutdoors9 reviews the win pdx1 available at Walmart, didn't perform well nor does the wwb 147gr jhp. He's got some great reviews in his YouTube channel

... My thoughts are any of the premium ammo produced by the big boys will probably work fine and hold no more liability than others...

Also, the box o truth site has lots of cool and fun info. The Box O' Truth - Ammo Penetration Testing

Mark

This. There's far too many variables to know how a bullet will react when it hits the target.

Worry more about hitting the target. Worry less about what the bullet does afterwards.

Thanks for the good info guys. I guess it goes without saying that the really expensive rounds will work best. I was mainly trying to determine that if there is any cheaper HP that still opens up close enough that the difference is negligible. You know, to be prepared for the Zombie Apocalypse. haha. But in my situation I can't really afford to stock up on JHP at $1/rd so I was looking for the best cheap HP. Appreciate the input everyone gave!

Thanks for the good info guys. I guess it goes without saying that the really expensive rounds will work best. I was mainly trying to determine that if there is any cheaper HP that still opens up close enough that the difference is negligible. You know, to be prepared for the Zombie Apocalypse. haha. But in my situation I can't really afford to stock up on JHP at $1/rd so I was looking for the best cheap HP. Appreciate the input everyone gave!

less than a buck and good to go with the zombies! IMG_7930.jpg

Guest msparks

I guess I'm not one that make too much of all this. I just buy whatever premium ammo that have that is at a reasonable cost. I run a couple of mags through the gun to see how they function and where they shoot. Then I set it and forget it.

For the 9mm I'm carrying Hornady 124 gr. XTP. $16 for a box of 25.

For the .45, it's WWB personal defense JHP. I also have some 230 grain TAP XTP+p. I haven't run them through the gun yet so I can't say how they function. Will most likely take them next time to the range.

A ton of good advice in the posts above. I typically run the Remington golden sabre rounds in my subcompact 40, but right now I'm running an alternating mixture of 180gr FMJ and the golden sabres due to the colder weather. Going to look into the t-series winchesters in the near future though.

Guest Bassman17SC

Yes. The Box O' Truth is a great site to research simple ballistics. That being said, no Federal Hydroshocks for me (they do not open up). Also, no Golden Sabers since the jacketing separates from the main bullet (at least in the BOT tests). Hornady CD rounds feed well in all the pistols in our house (P232, P226, and 1911) and are sickly accurate. Of course, my P226 eats everything I feed it. Fiocchi makes a round using the Hornady XTP bullet (50 rounds of 124 gr. goes for less the $30). Black Hills (red box) also has a good 124 gr. JHP for about $40/50 rounds. I also like the Hornady TAP-FPD in the 124 gr. It seems that all of the Hornady rounds have a LOT less muzzle flash than other premium rounds, IMHO.I am still trying to find a .45 ACP HP round. I've seen great things about the Speer Gold Dot, but have not been able to find any at the local shops. They are always sold out of the non +p rounds. (Did not stop in at D&T yet). I would rather use a 230 gr. round in the 1911 if possible. I've seen good things about the Winchester Talon Series, so I will try and get some to test.

Edited by Bassman17SC