ER Room not posted but.....

Guest tngw1500se

Guest tngw1500se

Had to take my wife to the ER the other day and didn't see any signs so I carried. There were no signs on the doors at all but I found out later (from a friend) that there is a sign at the road where you enter. That's not a legal posting is it?

PS: I never shot anyone while there.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest drv2fst

The ER brings up another question. I wonder even if it was VERY WELL posted how much leniency one would get. When you are going to the ER you often don't have time to think about whether or not you are carrying or how to properly secure the gun in your car. You usually don't have time to stop before entering and go BACK to the car to store your gun. One would hope that there would be some understanding in those situations.

The mall at Rivergate is kinda the same way. They have teeny tiny signs as you drive in, but I've entered thru department stores that aren't posted. They are probably technically allowed to post that way, but it is very misleading. Obviously their intent is for you not to carry, but like was said above, a ER is not the type of place where people are thinking clearly in a true emergency.

P.S. I never shot anyone at a ER or mall

Guest bkelm18
Had to take my wife to the ER the other day and didn't see any signs so I carried. There were no signs on the doors at all but I found out later (from a friend) that there is a sign at the road where you enter. That's not a legal posting is it?

PS: I never shot anyone while there.

It has to be posted prominently at all entrances.

Guest drv2fst

I wonder if many of these postings are for lawyers only. My point being, I can see someone posting so that if there ever WAS an incident they can point to the fact that they were posted in hopes that it may help them in the lawsuits that are surely to follow. I am NOT saying that I agree with that position. I think if they REALLY cared about banning guns on their property, they would make the signs impossible to overlook. Just my $.02

Guest Broomhead
It has to be posted prominently at all entrances.

Or public entrance to the property, i.e. the driveway that you have to drive on to get to the property.

I'm sure I don't need to post the full text...

Notice of the prohibition permitted by subsection (a) shall be accomplished by displaying one (1) or both of the notices described in subdivision (:((3) in prominent locations, including all entrances primarily used by persons entering the property, building, or portion of the property or building where weapon possession is prohibited. Either form of notice used shall be of a size that is plainly visible to the average person entering the building, property, or portion of the building or property, posted.
Guest tngw1500se

I guess if we're in the car and I have my gun and we need to go to the ER, I need to go home and put it away or park the car across the street and carry her up the drive to the ER. Makes sense to me.

It is the "plainly visible" part that I have a problem with. I don't believe a "average person" can see signs like the ones in question. At the mall, the little gunbuster symbol is so small. I only noticed it one day when there was some traffic and my wife was driving. Small signs aren't sufficient (in my opinion) to be seen by regular people.

The signs are supposed to be easy to see at the entrances to the properties/building. I conceal a small handgun and don't ask questions if the property owners like or don't like guns. Most don't that is why I conceal. If I don't see a silly sign I guess it wasn't easy for the average person to see.

To note on this when I had to go to the TN workforce center in Kingsport the main lot is on the right side of the building if you are facing it, as you walk up to the first set of double doors they are not posted period. If you continue down the walk farther away from the parking lot (only another 20 feet or so) that set of double doors is posted the sign is about 12†from the ground. I was carrying the first time I went, after my class I was sitting in the lobby for a bit and noticed the signage, I have not carried into the building on my return trips. It is definitely not “Properly Postedâ€.

It is the "plainly visible" part that I have a problem with. I don't believe a "average person" can see signs like the ones in question. At the mall, the little gunbuster symbol is so small. I only noticed it one day when there was some traffic and my wife was driving. Small signs aren't sufficient (in my opinion) to be seen by regular people.

Agree but I'm in no position be be a test case in court.

Southern Hills has a sign on the Doctors building that states "No unauthorized weapons allowed". Since I have my HCP does that mean that mine is authorized? I doubt it but I'm not going to point out their incorrect posting and have them change it. It could possibly be intentional so that the sheeple feel safer but also allow those of us with HCP's to walk right by and ignore the sign.

I still believe the intent of the law is for all entrances to the property to be posted. I'm not sure that a sign in the driveway satisfies this requirement.

Since it says "property" as well as "building" it seems likely that if they only post at the doorways, you are allowed to carry in in the parking lot, but not the building. So if it is posted at the entrance to the actual property, then the intent would seem to be that you not carry at all and that would seem to be legal if the signage is properly displayed.

I tend to agree with the "for the lawyers" argument. They don't want to lose customers, but want the discount from the insurance company at the same time.

Guest tngw1500se
Since it says "property" as well as "building" it seems likely that if they only post at the doorways, you are allowed to carry in in the parking lot, but not the building. So if it is posted at the entrance to the actual property, then the intent would seem to be that you not carry at all and that would seem to be legal if the signage is properly displayed.

I tend to agree with the "for the lawyers" argument. They don't want to lose customers, but want the discount from the insurance company at the same time.

Is there a insurance co that gives discounts for companies that post?

Is there a insurance co that gives discounts for companies that post?

Has been asked before, never seen anyone say that was in their biz insurance policy or even claim an example where another company had such.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Agree but I'm in no position be be a test case in court.

Southern Hills has a sign on the Doctors building that states "No unauthorized weapons allowed". Since I have my HCP does that mean that mine is authorized? I doubt it but I'm not going to point out their incorrect posting and have them change it. It could possibly be intentional so that the sheeple feel safer but also allow those of us with HCP's to walk right by and ignore the sign.

I've seen postings like this before. I take it to mean exactly what it says. My HCP authorizes me to carry in public and therefore that is my interpretation. I wouldn't test the theory and OC in those establishments, however, as that will most likely result in a proper post which bans those of us who are legal.

I think authorized weapons refers to armed security guards. I work at a hospital and am also in graduate school. I'm not sure if my hospital is posted or not, but company policy prohibits employees from carrying...I'm pretty much always unarmed because my car is almost always either at school or at the hospital at some point in the day and even keeping guns in the car is illegal...I agree with the people that said banning guns is probably a better solution. It is so aggravating with all of these regulations prohibiting students, teachers, government employees, and healthcare professionals from exercising their freedoms!

On another note, last year some crazy person walked into our hospital and said he was going to go back out to his car and bring his shotgun...people panicked, there are only TWO armed guards on duty, and neither was near the suspect. After he exited the building, security was notified and the hospital was placed on lockdown and the TWO guards started patrolling the halls and entrances....did I feel safe? Heck no. Armed guards aren't trained police or military and I certainly didn't feel confident that TWO guards could possibly stop a CRAZY person from busting into any of the many entrances and shooting up patients and staff.

/end rant lol