Checking head space on a Mosin

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just bought it from J Floyds 2 weeks ago and have not even cleaned it yet. The numbers match but I don't know if anything has been changed. I assume I will need to clean it before I can check the headspace but I don't know that much about them. Just the little bit that I have researched online and seen on youtube.

@ pcrc11 - I will take you up on the offer but I need to know what I need to do to prep the rifle, if anything.

@ dou44 - I figure it is likely ok, but I would hate to take the chance if it is easy to check. It is incouraging to hear that you did not have any trouble with yours. I bought the rifle and was hoping that it would not end up a cleaned up "safe queen".

I have always held my head to the side (I like my eyes), fired the first round and inspected the shell, none of my old Nagant's have had a problem (5 of them). If you have a guage availableit does not hurt to check but the gun wont blow up, you may get case seperation, break the ejector or blow back through the firing pin thus head to the side.

Now this is just how I have done it but to each his own.

I just bought it from J Floyds 2 weeks ago and have not even cleaned it yet. The numbers match but I don't know if anything has been changed. I assume I will need to clean it before I can check the headspace but I don't know that much about them. Just the little bit that I have researched online and seen on youtube.

@ pcrc11 - I will take you up on the offer but I need to know what I need to do to prep the rifle, if anything.

@ dou44 - I figure it is likely ok, but I would hate to take the chance if it is easy to check. It is incouraging to hear that you did not have any trouble with yours. I bought the rifle and was hoping that it would not end up a cleaned up "safe queen".

Just clean it well. Especially the throat where the rim of the bullet lays into. Lots of time cosmo can build up in there and make it seem like bolt wont close. You have my email, just let me know when you are ready.

I really wouln't worry about it. If you've got a "new", as in just pulled from a crate of refurbed rifles, numbers matching Mosin it is good to go.

If you are worried strap the thing to a tree, load it, tie a string to the triger and tear off a few rounds.

I noticed you said you got it a Jfloyds. I was thinking about going up there tomorrow to see if they have any mosin carbines. did you see any? not trying to hijack your thread, but i have also never had any problems with my mosin's headspace

They all looked identical, but they had some other crates under the ones that I went through.

Just clean it well. Especially the throat where the rim of the bullet lays into. Lots of time cosmo can build up in there and make it seem like bolt wont close. You have my email, just let me know when you are ready.

Will do. It will be early January before I can get to cleaning it buy I will email you then. Thanks.

Guest WAM_007
I have always held my head to the side (I like my eyes), fired the first round and inspected the shell, none of my old Nagant's have had a problem (5 of them). If you have a guage availableit does not hurt to check but the gun wont blow up, you may get case seperation, break the ejector or blow back through the firing pin thus head to the side.

Now this is just how I have done it but to each his own.

I like this method of doing things reminds me of myself.

I'm about 400 rounds deep in my 91/30; the more i fire her the smoother she is. Your sure to get years of enjoyment out of your Mosin, plus if it fouls up you can always hand it to the guy carrying the ammo can....