USPSA or IDPA or BOTH ???

Guest jcramin

Guest jcramin

I just joined Memphis Sport Shooting Assoc and I am planning to start competing.

I have joined USPSA because I a friend of mine at the same club competes in USPSA. Is there and advantage to also joining IDPA and shooting in IDPA also ?

I will be starting of shooting a single stack .45 stock Smith and Wesson SW1911SC

I will be also purchasing a 13-15 round XD 40 or and M&P 40 to compete with also.

Thank you,

J

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jcramin

Well I have joined both organization's for now, and I will be shooting 1911 single stack in both untill I get a XD or M&P in 9MM.

Ill be shooting at Memphis Sport Shooting Assoc.

I have never done any type of competition shooting, so this is all new to me so Im going to try everything and narrow down to the ones I like the most.

I will be getting a shotgun too and trying some Skeet and Trap too.

J

I haven't done IDPA... but I've done 3-gun, which is based on IPSC rules. Since these things are games, and that's how I approach it, IPSC/USPSA make more sense to me for having fun and being competitive. IDPA isn't really lacking anything in competitiveness, I'm sure... but the general attitude I hear that it has some kind of practice value (other than familiarity with your gun, which exists in both), I don't buy into. IDPA has too many rules, and it too tightly orchestrated into specific routines for each scenario to allow one to truly learn to assess and respond to situations. In either one, all you are learning is how to respond to a buzzer, engage targets in a certain order, and operate within specific rules. But they are both fun... IDPA is certainly more friendly to folks who just want to use what they carry.

IDPA has too many rules, and it too tightly orchestrated into specific routines for each scenario to allow one to truly learn to assess and respond to situations

Not true. IDPA stages are limited only by the imagination of the guy who creates the stages. There are some talented match directors, and there are others. IDPA is not always a simple list of targets that everyone shoots in a specified order. Many stages offer several ways to shoot them, some not so obvious. Some courses of fire simply say, "shoot them in any order." After the last guy shoots a stage, I often hear, "Why didn't I think of that?"

Most IDPA shooters have carry permits, while many would be suprised to learn how many USPSA guys don't even carry (at least, that is the case locally).

Edited by deerslayer
Well I have joined both organization's for now, and I will be shooting 1911 single stack in both untill I get a XD or M&P in 9MM.

Ill be shooting at Memphis Sport Shooting Assoc.

I have never done any type of competition shooting, so this is all new to me so Im going to try everything and narrow down to the ones I like the most.

I will be getting a shotgun too and trying some Skeet and Trap too.

J

If you go to a USPSA match, you will hear, "Don't shoot IDPA. You have to shoot from cover and wear concealment." If you go to an IDPA match, you will hear, "Don't shoot USPSA. They use $3000 race guns and Star Wars holsters."

Use your 1911 on both and see for yourself which you like better. Beware, the USPSA guys at MSSA don't like anyone wearing any kind of camo at their matches. It promotes a "bad image." :)

[quote name=deerslayer;

Most IDPA shooters have carry permits' date=' while many would be suprised to learn how many USPSA guys don't even carry (at least, that is the case locally).[/quote]

Must be your local club. I don't know of any USPSA shooters in my area and club, NTPS, that don't carry.

Shoot which ever one or both. Neither is a tactical shooting school. It's all about the fun.

Not sure about your analogy, but I guess it depends on whether you would rather be a spectator or a participant.

Same basic game,slightly different rules,one requires a higher level of skill to excel at than the other.

I still don't understand your analogy--we've had USPSA guys shoot with us, and they can't hit a thing when they shoot from cover. They are great shooters, but they don't excel in a different format. I don't really see how one is harder than the other, though.

I still don't understand your analogy--we've had USPSA guys shoot with us, and they can't hit a thing when they shoot from cover. They are great shooters, but they don't excel in a different format. I don't really see how one is harder than the other, though.

Ever shot USPSA?

Guest Grout

I have shot both on a local,state and Area/Regional level.Trust me it takes a far better shooter to become a Master in USPSA than in IDPA.

To paraphrase Tac; Don't knock it until you've tried it.

I never knocked it--I just said that I don't see how one is more difficult than the other. Is the game itself harder, or is it harder because the competition is stiffer? USPSA has been around a lot longer and, therefore, has more members and, therefore, potentially more competition. I had in mind only a direct comparison between the two games.

Edited by deerslayer
I have shot both on a local,state and Area/Regional level.Trust me it takes a far better shooter to become a Master in USPSA than in IDPA.

I agree--IDPA needs a high master classification or something a step past master. As one who is on the verge of becoming an IDPA master, I certainly don't feel like I'm king of the shooting skills mountain.

Tad, ease up, dude.

I've shot exactly two stages of IPSC. It was a ton of fun, but very very foreign.

I really don't understand people who are militant IDPA-only types, or USPSA-only types. They're both a lot of fun. You're not exactly painting IDPA shooters in a positive light over here... :)