If you could design your own handgun?

Guest bigbuck_tn

Guest bigbuck_tn

If you were going to design your own handgun what features would you like to see combined?

I don't think that it is possible to have the "perfect" handgun but I think that would be interesting to see what everyone thinks. This is what I would like to see in no particular order and the assumption is reliable:

-Buttery smooth 8 to 10 lb DA trigger pull like Sig or Kahr or Beretta.

-Easy pokayoked disassembly like a Sig.

-Smooth external shape like a Glock.

-Thumb safety ala 1911 or Taurus. (Not Beretta or S&W too high for me)

-Very corrosion resistant like a Glock.

-Sits low in the hand like a Glock.

-Lightweight construction (ie polymer or Aluminum frames)

-Affordable magazines like a Glock.

-Scaleable w/magazine interchangablility like a Glock or XD or S&W MP.

-Good sites from the factory like S&W.

-Interchangeable backstraps if they can be made so it is impossible for them to accidently come off

-Smooth radiused trigger like a Kahr.

-Optional internal locks like a Glock.

-Optional magazine disconnects. Does S&W offer this?

-Simple to work on like a Glock.

What do you guys and gals want in your perfect handgun? Or discuss mine.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bigbuck_tn

Oh good one.

Like a AR handgun. I like it.

The only catch would be making the gun long enough in the grip to accomodate the 10mm and 45. Might make it a little longer for a base gun but I think the versatility and interchangeable backstraps would make it worth it.

Keep 'em coming.:D

Hmmm...Glock 19 with more rounded edges, maybe multiple grip backstraps, something a little stronger than the Fisher-Price sights, a dovetailed front sight, with the rear of the trigger guard trimmed down a little. No manual safety required for me.

It should be absolutely reliable and free from operator error. It should fire a caliber sufficient to inflict tremendous wounds,but also able to handle less powerful loads for practice. It should be of a small enough size and weight to be easy to carry. It should be aesthetically pleasing.

Oh, yeah. They dont need to invent that gun because I already carry a Smith Model 19!

Oh good one.

Like a AR handgun. I like it.

The only catch would be making the gun long enough in the grip to accomodate the 10mm and 45. Might make it a little longer for a base gun but I think the versatility and interchangeable backstraps would make it worth it.

Keep 'em coming.:D

make it a double stack magazine, that holds ~10 rounds of .45acp (think glock 30 size, maybe a bit taller) and that same mag could hold ~10-12 rounds of 10mm. i would think that 10 rounds of .45acp or 10mm would be enough for anything you would come across and would be willing to have only a handgun to defned yourself with.

Guest darkstar
It should be absolutely reliable and free from operator error. It should fire a caliber sufficient to inflict tremendous wounds,but also able to handle less powerful loads for practice. It should be of a small enough size and weight to be easy to carry. It should be aesthetically pleasing.

Oh, yeah. They dont need to invent that gun because I already carry a Smith Model 19!

You know, even before I read that entire post I knew you were gonna say you already had the perfect gun i.e. your 19 :D

Guest GregRN

While I haven't given up entirely on semi-autos, I seem to agree with Rabbi more and more every day. I am slowly turning to the wheel gun as my favorite.

As far as my design of a semi-auto, I couldn't afford it anyway.

Why the P-38 design as opposed to a Modified Browning?

Any particular reasoning?

Barrel alignment is maintained, and more precise locking/unlocking without having to maintain tight tolerances. Also, less force is transmitted directly into the locking block, so recoil is smoother.

I'd consider a rotating barrel lockup, as well...

Guest bigbuck_tn

It's very surprising more companies don't use this instead of modifed Browning. I used to have a Walther P5 that was a very sweet shooter. I kinda wish that I still had it sometimes. I wish that someone would do an update on the design. Probably too expensive to build.

Guest atomemphis

I'd go modified 1911:

Titanium frame and slide for durability and lightweight and sweet heat-blued color.

3# trigger. Single Action Only.

1911 style thumb safety. Not ambidextrous, I have no use for the ambi-side.

Make the ambi side a decocker, just for giggles.

Slim frame/grips. Bobtail.

Laser guide rod.

Tritium night sights - green tritium front, yellow tritium rear.

swappable barrels to convert from .22 to 9mm to 45acp. make the slide know how to compensate for varying loads and such.

built in toaster oven. sometimes i get hungry mid-gunfight.

accompanying angry red-assed baboon, ready to get nuts in case things really south.

Guest GLOCKGUY
Hmmm...Glock 19 with more rounded edges, maybe multiple grip backstraps, something a little stronger than the Fisher-Price sights, a dovetailed front sight, with the rear of the trigger guard trimmed down a little. No manual safety required for me.

ill take two of these :P

Mine would be the size of a J-frame.

It would hold 15 rounds of .45ACP.

It would have the accuracy of a 6†L-frame.

It would not be black

It would not have any Polymer in it.

It would not blow up when I fired it.

I could put my finger on the trigger without an ND.

Yep…. That’s what I would design.

leaving.gif

Guest bigbuck_tn

Has anyone tried out the Sig 250?

Know anywhere that is renting them to try out. I would like to do some research on that one.

Where do you get the stripper attachment from?????:P

Guest bigbuck_tn

On a more serious side note. Has anyone heard anything about the 250?

Sig has an awesome Classic line but they seem to have had a little trouble with their last few new introductions. I wonder if they have improved...

Guest mikedwood
Mine would come with 2 Asian Strippers that wouldnt talk back & were gourmet chefs.

So that makes my design the best.

I'll trade a Glock 19 with Crimson Trace grip, 4 mags, original box and paper work, bore snake and 500 rounds of range ammo and 100 defensive for that one Eyebedam, may throw in some cash also.

I don't think one gun (except the one listed by Eyebedam would do it for me.) I think for general summer carry the Taurus Ultra light .38, carry winter, fall and spring the Glock 19, keep in the Jeep for rainy days Hipoint C9 9mm, Range Ruger Mark III .22.