Tactical Vest

All tacticool joking aside....

What should be looked for in a tactical vest? Definitely would like to hear from those that have served or have other real world experience as to what you found to work, and what didn't.

Carrying a AR and a full size glock or other secondary, what would you look for in a vest? I would guess the goal would be able to store and easily retrieve multiple magazines, while also being able to easily draw your secondary and magazines for it. What features make that efficient and eliminate extra motions?

What other tips?

Suggest a brand/model? (within a reasonable price)

I'm not really a prepper, and would mostly use it for practice.... but practice keeps you prepared right!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd recommend going with any quality M.O.L.L.E. rig. Which one depends on what you want it to be capable of doing, as far as just holding mag carriers and a pistol just about any will fit the bill. For a slight difference in price id invest in a plate carrier. Still extreamly usefull without plates but allows you the ability to expand later on down the line. If you ever get up to the clarksville area shoot me a PM i have a few you could try and see what you like best/lear where you like your gear set up.

I say MOLLE is a pretty much mandatory as well. The reason is you can setup you rig how it works for you. No two rigs are the same between people.

I would also try to get one that can accept either soft armor or hard plates or both. You never know when your training rig might become a real world lifesaver.

I had mine made by PACA. It was not an off the shelf item. I went there and had them measure then add features I felt I had to have like quick release buckles, drag strap, MOLLE and the ability to use both soft and hard armor. It uses the lightest 3A soft armor made and is very comfortable to wear. It worked extremely well for me overseas.

I picked up a used Condor vest and it is really well made. It is covered in MOLLE and has the ability to store 4 AR mags in the side panels. This leaves more MOLLE free for other items you might want to carry.

While you are at it try to find a ballistic helmet as well. The deal with them is the lighter they are the more expensive they tend to be. You can pick up the old PAGST kevlar helmets for around $50 if you do a bit of searching.

Dolomite

Although I wish there was more availablity to try on and purchase locally, I've done some research online and right now I'm looking at the Condor Modular chest rig. nutnfancy's Channel - YouTube For $35 I figure you can't really go wrong. I was going to add either a 3-AR mag pouch and a couple pistol pouches, or a 3-pouch kangaroo pouch to save money (cheaper as one kangaroo pouch than separates).

I wish I could find a cloth horizontal holster but it looks like TacForce made the only one and it's discontinued. Serpa is so expensive by the time you buy the holster and mounting gear, and only fits a specific pistol (well obviously everyone knows that, I'm just saying....)

If you are in the Knoxville are ayou are more than welcome to come try a few of my setups before buying.

Gear tends to be expensive, especially the vests, so if you can try out a few you might save yourself some money and headaches. But with that being said there are still some deals out there. You should be able to buy a nice, comfortable full vest with a lot of features for under $100.

I have used the Rhodesian vests in the past. I will say that the exposed straps can, and often do, hang on door knobs and other items. On more than one occassion I found myself asking buddies to help me unhang myself from a vehicle because of the straps. That was the biggest reason I went to a standard style vest.

One more thing you need to be concerned with is water storage on your person. With most traditional vests you can attach a camel back to the back panel. If you don't have a back panel you need to find a way to carry water. I also carried additional water in a small 3 day pack and even more water in the vehicles. But you need to have some on your person.

Not really sure why you need a horizontal holster. An normal one works just as well attached to the front of the vest. As a matter of fact I used a AR mag pouch as a holster for most of my time overseas. Just make sure you have a means to hold it in place like and elastic strap or a velcro flap. It worked as well as most of the other setups I have tried.

Dolomite

Not really sure why you need a horizontal holster. An normal one works just as well attached to the front of the vest. As a matter of fact I used a AR mag pouch as a holster for most of my time overseas. Just make sure you have a means to hold it in place like and elastic strap or a velcro flap. It worked as well as most of the other setups I have tried.

Good suggestions. What I liked about the horizontal design based on the photos I've seen is that you can keep the pistol up and out of the way of the mag pouches around your stomach area, while utilizing space that you're going to use for a mag pouch anyway. I guess I'll figure that out after I get a vest and can actually try out various arrangements.

Good suggestions. What I liked about the horizontal design based on the photos I've seen is that you can keep the pistol up and out of the way of the mag pouches around your stomach area, while utilizing space that you're going to use for a mag pouch anyway. I guess I'll figure that out after I get a vest and can actually try out various arrangements.

My offer stands for you as well. If you want to put on a few of my rigs you are more than welcome to.

Dolomite

Your regular holster should be of serviceable use on your belt.

When you put stuff over your mag pouches it makes it much more difficult to get your mags out. Not to mention the muscle memory shift of where you go to get your pistol. Add to that a rifle sling that's probably going to get tangled up in there somewhere and it's a mess waiting to happen.

All tacticool joking aside....

What should be looked for in a tactical vest? Definitely would like to hear from those that have served or have other real world experience as to what you found to work, and what didn't.

Carrying a AR and a full size glock or other secondary, what would you look for in a vest? I would guess the goal would be able to store and easily retrieve multiple magazines, while also being able to easily draw your secondary and magazines for it. What features make that efficient and eliminate extra motions?

What other tips?

Suggest a brand/model? (within a reasonable price)

I'm not really a prepper, and would mostly use it for practice.... but practice keeps you prepared right!

Joe, I guess the questions that need to be asked.. What are you looking to do with it? What are you requirements? and what scenario do you see yourself needing it?

Mission dictates equipment.

Mike

HSGI makes great stuff.

If you're wanting a lighter rig, take a look at their A.O. Small chest rig. You can get their double decker value combo. Come with their taco mag clips. Heard great things bout them.

High Speed Gear, Inc. | Product Detail

They also have a plate carrier if you ever want to run sapi on your rigs.

High Speed Gear, Inc. | Product Detail

For your secondary, you could go with a thigh rig.

A lot of people like the Eagle RRV.

Edited by sigbrown1297
Your regular holster should be of serviceable use on your belt.

When you put stuff over your mag pouches it makes it much more difficult to get your mags out. Not to mention the muscle memory shift of where you go to get your pistol. Add to that a rifle sling that's probably going to get tangled up in there somewhere and it's a mess waiting to happen.

Depends on what type of vest you use.

If it has side panels or has other items above the pistol it can be a huge pain to get to your pistol. Having it on your rig also makes getting to your pistol possible while in a vehicle. If you have a holster on your hip with your rig riding on top of it getting the pistol out is going to be impossible. Even a Rhodesian wraps far enough around to the side to cause problems drawing a pistol on your side.

If all you are running is a chest rig then a pistol on your belt like normal should be fine. Save the chest rig's realestate for your mags and blow out kit.

I have tried the pistol on my side and on the rig. I prefer the pistol to be on my rig especially if I am gonig to be in a vehicle. But I also have full vests with side panels. I have used Rhodesians but as I said before they get caught on everything you walk by it seems like.

Dolomite

I was thinking of having a chest cross draw for the secondary for two reasons:

Easier to get to in a vehicle

And wearing cold weather/wet weather clothing, allows it to be easier to access

Thought?

And, if you're prone on your strong side, you have all your weight pressing down on top of the pistol, which cannot be comfortable nor help with aim, not to mention you're stuffing the barrel of the pistol with mud.

This merely represents my largely-uneducated assessment.

A chest rig will work fine for a secondary, the key is good tight equipment and training. minimise loose items and straps and keep everything as tight to the body as you can. Put it on jump around do a sprint and see how much movement you have. Like dolomite said if you have anything on the sides it stands a very likely chance of hindering use of a belt holster. The bigest thing is practice practice practice. Your sling and rifle can get in the way of your pistol when doing transitions with a chest rig. This is typically easily overcome with training. A good holster for tactical use should cover the barrel completely so clogging it with mid should not be an issue. As far as being in the prone position goes having anything anywhere can end up uncomfortable. The reality is that if your worrying about a secondary weapon system your probably in the type of enviorment where your very unlikely to enter a prone position. If the BG is far enough away that i have the luxury of being stationary and proned out then im gonna take the time to get my rifle back in the fight and when the adrenilin is surging you dont really notice those things being uncomfortable. transitions are typically for 35m or closer depending on your capabilities that can be extended out a little further.

Edited by c.a.willard

I always wore my cold weather gear over my rigs. The biggest reason is it keeps my gear and rig from getting wet during wet weather. It also makes it easier and safer to dump the jacket because you don't have to remove your vest.It is easy enough to unzip the jacket to have access to your equipment.

Mind you this is with a bullet proof vest tht also had plates that I wore for my own safety. But even if you don't wear a bullet proof vest keeping your vest and gear dry should be a priority.

Most people hopefully aren't going to have to worry about things like this. But if they find themselves in a SHTF situation it is good to have the equipment already setup. I prefer to plan, equip myself and practice for the worst.

I have been in places where I wore my gear for hours on end in all types of weather. Everything from cold and snowy to hot a dry. And it took me a few months to figure out what works for me.

I will say equipment, and how you set it up, is a personal choice. What works for me may or may not work for you. And my suggestion is to try out a few before buying.

Dolomite

I've had a couple from VooDoo tactical and now have a Condor plate carrier. I'd recommend getting a plate carrier so that at least you have the option to use armor should the need arise. My buddy was in the army for 5 years and did several tours in Iraq and Afganistan. He wore his rig on top of his IOTV vest so that he could shed the weight if needed but still have his armor on. KISS is a good principle here. Find what works for you, make sure anything you put on the vest is functional for your use and is not dead weight. Once you get it setup like you want, actually use the thing and make sure all the pouches, ect are in places that allow you proper access.